Nopalxochia horichii ISI 1432: First Flower After 38 years

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
edited June 23, 2022 in Holy Macro

I obtained this plant in 1984 from the International Succulent Institute. It was identified as a Clonotype, which means it had been propagated from Type material and had, therefore to the be the guaranteed, genuine species.

Since then, is has been relegated to a "garden escape" of some unknown hybrid.

https://forum.bcss.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=156014

It has not flowered since then. It seems that, in its original habitat, even if it did not belong there, it experienced 100 inches of rain each year. Most cacti should not be overwatered.

Anyway, I had another hybrid flower for the first time last year after 20 years of failing to.I doubt that it was for the same reason, whatever that was.

All these coloured hybrids, and related species, are now in Disocactus but I am using the old name to make it searchable.

The bud having taken weeks to develop, it started opened yesterday evening and I found it fully open at first light this morning.

The third image was taken with a longer lens, to see how it performed with this subject.

Images of this plant are very rare on websites.

I will upload stereo versions, possible tomorrow.

The perfume is a sensation!

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/40 sec at f11 ISI 3200, hand-held.

Olympus EM-1 (aperture priority), Panasonic 100 - 400mm Leica DG Vario-Elmar at 400mm 1/100 at f11. (Third image only).

Harold

Comments