Options

Results - Mini Challenge #338 - Weird, Strange, or One-of-a-kind Architecture

CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins

Thank you to everyone who contributed to this mini. As usual, the entries were spot-on and well done.
@grandmaR - The Dog House was certainly different and a probably a good advertisement for the Flea Killer. Nemo's Science Museum is a sweeping beauty reminiscent of a large ship.
@JAG - The Ice Museum is definitely a unique shaped building and the photo of John proving his gallantry is special. I did use the link for the Church of Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg and was Wowed by the beauty of the entire church.in the first photo. I kind of wish that was the photo you entered - the interior by itself is mesmerizing but difficult to appreciate the detail. The unique spires of the church do make the building beautifully unique.
@pegelli - The Rotterdam factory has beautiful lines created by the walkways making the structure unique. The futuristic ship "sitting" atop and within the Antwerp Harbor House is wonderfully strange and unique.
@sarasphotos - I've never seen a depiction of the interior of the Louvre Glass Pyramid before, although one would still recognize the overall structure. The Chateau de Chambord is amazing. And the fact that it was built in the 16th Century is mind blowing. The more I look at it, the more detail I see.
@bfluegie - Both the sod roofed buildings are indeed unique. And the gargantuan Oslo Opera House is strange and beautiful at the same time.

Third Place - @grandmaR for the Nemo Museum. A good representation of the topic.

**Second Place **- @pegelli for the Antwerp Harbor House.

**First Place **- @sarasphotos for the Chateau de Chambord Hunting Lodge. Although the 'parts & pieces' of the structure may be classic rather than strange or unique, the overall appearance is so unique and mesmerizing that I can't stop staring at it.

Congratulations to everyone for great entries for a rather unusual topic. And Sara, the Baton is passed to you.

Comments

• Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Nice work Jo ( @Cavalier ) for a well-run challenge. Thanks for the commentary too. I debated on posting one of the outside pictures, but in Russia, they have many over the top buildings and that is commonplace. I was taken by the exquisite tile work of the images indoors and the unusual amount of arches to hold up such a building. It didn't seem as big in floor space as it did in height. The whole inside was covered with tiles that measured no bigger than .5 sq inch and the details were spot on and stunning.

Congrats to the winner and runner ups. Sara, Pieter and GrandmaR!

• Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,946 Major grins

Thank you for the third place and for the helpful comments. The One Spot doghouse was built sometime in the 30s and the flea medicine was marketed until sometime in the 50s https://chowtales.com/one-spot-flea-killer-worlds-largest-chow-doghouse/

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,830 Major grins

Goodness Jo, I'm flabbergasted - never expected to win, thank you! Congrats to Pieter & Grandma for 2nd and 3rd.

I'll post the next challenge by the end of the day (European time) on Wednesday.

• Options
    pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,777 Major grins

Congrats Sara with a well deserved win, it's a unique place and your very well thought out symmetrical composition does the building justice. Unfortunately there was a little too much wind which spoils the mirror image in the water.

And grandmaR, that's a fine picture of NEMO, a truly unique building in Amsterdam!

And thanks for 2nd place and all the comments Jo, it was a fine mini.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug