I have no idea what's going on here

spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

Like some kind of alien creature with long horns, I cant seem to find out what there are.

Mike

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator

Always helpful to know the estimated size of the insect, as well as the plant identification that it's feeding upon.

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

@ziggy53 said:
    Always helpful to know the estimated size of the insect, as well as the plant identification that it's feeding upon.

The size is approximately 5mm by 2mm and the leaf its on is a thistle plant. I guess more info on my part would have been helpful, thanks for looking. Mike

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins

Nice find- think they are tortoise beetle larvae.

Brian V.

• DeepWoodsDeepWoods Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins

Great photos...Brian is on the correct path..Tortoise beetle larva...the two parts sticking out are the anal fork...later on they will build up a cover for their back made out of their fecal matter and molted "skins"...It is for protection from arial/larger predators.
    See my post here in the macro forum titled "Golden Tortoise Beetle Larvae" to see what they look like after building their cover..

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,765 moderator
    edited July 28, 2022

@spanky117ab said:

@ziggy53 said:

The size is approximately 5mm by 2mm and the leaf its on is a thistle plant. I guess more info on my part would have been helpful, thanks for looking. Mike

Thanks, spanky (er, Mike), and it looks like you got identification and confirmation.

Thanks, Brian and DeepWoods! 🖒

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins

@Lord Vetinari said:
    Nice find- think they are tortoise beetle larvae.

Brian V.

Correct but Golden not Green.

Harold