Mini Challenge #339: Close-ups of man-made objects

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited July 13, 2022 in The Dgrin Challenges

I often like to get in close to capture a detail of the greater picture - not macro shooting where the object appears larger than it is in life, but a close-up that brings textures, shapes and/or colors to life. Quite often these close-ups are architectural, but not always.
PLEASE NO flowers, bugs, people or other animate objects.

Here are a few examples of what I'm looking for:

A bell pull at a local museum

Painting on a column in a gothic church

Old-timer grill

Picture frames at a flea market

The bottom of the pyramid in the Louvre

16th-century door lock

The mini will run for 2 weeks and will close on July 27, 2022 at 6pm Central European Daylight Time.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic, and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed, including making composites as long as everything you put in the photo is taken from a photo made by yourself. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG Urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 13, 2022

Great challenge! I was thinking something similar for a challenge.

1 Gold and Crystal Chandelier in Catherine's Palace, St. Petersburg Russia

2 Optical Illusion, this is just a flat ceiling, that has been painted with posts, moldings and picture, to make it look not only higher, but as if it really has posts and moldings. I forgot which building this was in, but the whole ceiling was done with such paintings as these. St. Petersburg

3 A Window in Stonehedge? What caught my eye at Stonehedge, was this spot where there were two stone columns that had a gap between them and a stone covering the two of them. Then there was a shorter stone on the near side of them that the sun light hit, and a short stone on the opposite side of them, that makes it look like there was a window. In post processing I silhouetted the stones as it was a bright day, and I upped my contrast to get the color into the sky, which seemed to want to be white in most of my pictures as there was an eerie haze all day. I liked the effect.

this is what number 3 entry looks like before post editing. Not for judging.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@JAG Joyce, thanks for starting the mini off with a great set of photos. Exactly what I had in mind!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2022

Great idea for a mini I've picked out some personal things for this mini
    1. When my mother died, I took photos of everything all the furniture, the china, the silver and the jewelry. - so that her grandchildren could pick the thengs that they wanted. This was a pocket watch and gold chain

1. A needlepoint footstool that I did for my mother which has a sampler of some of the varioius needlepoint stitches for the background grid.

2. Baltimore has a locall craft. People paint scenes on their screens - you can see out, but you can't see in. After I did some of the screens on the house, I painted the screens on the ports of our boat with lighthouses of the Chesapeake.

Not for judging, but this is the view looking OUT the port

And this is the view of the ports from farther away

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great challenga Sara, but there are too many choices in my library :s

Here's my selection:

1: The instrument of one of my other hobbies

2: Chained and locked

3: Memorial for the about 350 men that died in the Fort Loncin explosion of 1914

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@grandmaR @pegelli thank you both for entering - so far every picture is a winning entry, so my decision will be difficult!

edited July 28, 2022

Hi everybody, sorry - it has been busy at our house and I was asleep at the wheel. Therefore I am going to extend the deadline until Sunday, July 31 in hopes of getting a couple of more entries. Not that the three entries aren't all fine candidates, but it would be nice to have a little more competition. @JAG @grandmaR @pegelli I hope that's ok with the three of you!

So for everyone out there, 3 more days to enter!

Cheers, Sara

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

I completely agree Sara, I also would like to see more entries. Part of the fun of these mini-challenges is how everybody approaches the theme in a different manner.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Most of my close-up or micro photos are of animals or flowers, so needless to say I am a little intimidated trying to find something reasonable to enter. But here goes:

1. Firehole Falls signage in Yellowstone NP. Interesting Falls that are more interesting than the sign.

2. A close up of Daisy's shiny engine and her name emblazoned on the firewall.

3. Blues Brothers atop a vintage goofy bus.

Not for entry - here's the Blues Brothers Bus

@Cavalier Hey Jo, thanks for join ing in - your entries are great!

Only one more day!

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited July 31, 2022

Thank you for this interesting challenge! I am still having trouble accessing all of my Lightroom catalog since upgrading my computer operating system, and I haven't had time to rectify the situation yet. But I found a few photos that seem to fit this theme. Please don't consider these as entries as we will be heading out on vacation soon. Thanks!

1) Lion's Head on a door at the Basel Cathedral in Basel, Switzerland

2) Noah's Ark as depicted on a brass panel at the cathedral in Speyer, Germany

3) Handle on the door of a greenhouse near my workplace - also reflected in the glass door

Gretchen, thanks for your entries.

The mini is now closed -I'll post the results tomorrow.