Options

a different view of Mabry Mill

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins

This old mill is the most visited site along the entire 450 + miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway.. The water flue to the waterwheel comes in from the left, powers the massive water wheel on the other side of this structure, and dumps into the lake on the right. Most published pictures of this mill focus only on the waterwheel side. I can't pass this place without firing off a few shots.

In the front of the building, next to the big tree stump, you can see two massive grind stones used in the mill's operations. Believe it or not, there's a strong collector market for these old mill stones. Virtually all of them end up in some sort of landscape design.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator

Thanks for that side of it. While I've not been there (yet), it is good to know there are less traveled scenic views of the mill.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2022

Thanks for the visit, David. There is a smaller building close to the mill where blacksmithing and woodworking occurred. Also on the grounds is a gift shop and a restaurant facility....darned fine food prepared by knowledgeable mountain folks. I hope you get to this place one day. I belong to a group that calls ourselves " rounders ". To become a part of this group you have to start at one end of the Parkway, go to the other end, turn around and ride the Parkway back to your start point. I've done that twice. Once on my motorcycle.

This second shot is the scene most often presented in print. When the Fall colors are out it is a truly spectacular place to behold.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins

Very nice, Tom! I really like Mabry Mill, it's a cool old place, I've shot it several times. I have driven the full length of the parkway, over the course of a number of visits, but I wouldn't consider myself a 'rounder' just yet.

One cold Saturday night in March, about 7 years ago, I was up there to shoot the mill in the dark. Driving down the parkway afterwards, I hit a deer in my not-quite-year-old Durango. I wasn't hurt, deer didn't fare as well, and the car wouldn't start. Park Police responded, the Durango was towed to a small shop in Meadows of Dan, VA. The shop owners drove me to a local motel for the night, then drove me back to Charlotte the next day.

If you don't mind me hijacking your thread, here's the shot I got that night...

And how my car looked the next morning...

• Options

Hey, John.

I remember when you hit that deer....just didn't know where in the mountains you were. Man, feel free to jump in to my show any time. I love that lighting on the mill in your shot. I remember seeing it like that only once. You know it was damn cold when you see the water freezing in columns as it falls off of the water flue.

BTW....when you do the "rounder" you are allowed one overnight stay, you choose where.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom....

Beautiful shots from both sides of this wonderful structure.

Would love to see the area in the depth of the fall season.

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Second one is so cool!

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Tom....

Beautiful shots from both sides of this wonderful structure.

Would love to see the area in the depth of the fall season.

Al.....

I've shot this place when the Fall colors are breathtaking. I'll get another batch of shots when I'm up there this October. We'll also travel the Shenandoah Valley from the southern entry to the northern exit near Front Royal, Va. I've run that valley twice before but thought I'll run it from the other direction this time.

• Options

@Stumblebum said:
    Second one is so cool!

I sure wish I could share some of my Appalachian travels with you, brother. The breath and variety of scenes are unequaled anywhere else I've been.