Moss Capsules

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
edited July 28, 2022 in Holy Macro

There was a cardboard box sitting on the window sill and I would see, but not register, it if I looked past the left side of my screen. It had a few bits and pieces on top of it but it was clearly visible. I’m not sure why but yesterday I decided to pick it up.

I thought the box had been reused for something other than its original contents but what looked like some crayon crossing out those details turned out to be some “clever” design work. It actually contained a Raynox MSN-505 32 diopter supplementary lens, their most powerful one, recommended only for experienced macro shooters. It had been there since I purchased it, at a very good price, 4 ½ years ago.

Now that I wanted to try it out, we are in the middle of a drought, with my usual type of subject nowhere to be seen. I managed to find some moss with brown, dried up capsules. These are deeper (DOF) than my usual subjects at a similar magnification.

Then I had to find a suitable lens, the Raynox website indicating that 200mm might be ideal. I located a Kiron 70-210mm and tried it out on my EM-1.

The best suitable location I could find was still uncomfortable and I struggled with maintaining focus. Hand held but resting on my elbows. Flash was essential. The images needed quite a bit of processing but I think they are worthwhile for my first, out of the box, try-out.

The single frames have been cropped but those used in the stereo pair have not.

The lens was set at 210mm and f16. The FOV was ca 2.5mm wide (compared with 3.5mm with my Laowa at maximum magnification).

The stereo is crosseye.

Harold

Comments