Red Underwing Moth

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins

We tend to see one of these each year. This one was in our conservatory.

At no time was it other than difficult to photograph. At first it was in a recess around a window behind a large plant. I could only get the view in the first image. I suspected that trying to get a better angle would disturb it, which it did. It them flew up to near the roof. This meant I had to rely on viewing in the rear screen and using AF, neither of which I normally use, and I had to stand on a "bar stool" for some. The images are not all as sharp as I would like and several could not be used because using the camera at arm's length meant they were no entirely in the frame.

This is one of the largest UK moths, wingspan up to 75mm.

The stereos are crosseye.

Harold

Comments

• Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins

Wonderful wing patterns showing Harold.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins

p> @Paul Iddon said:

Wonderful wing patterns showing Harold.

Paul.

Thanks, Paul.

I chose the "insect wings I" option in Topaz Clarity, checking that it was not excessive.

Harold

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

Not sure how I missed this Harold but what a cool looking moth. One would never know that fantastic shade of red was there with the wings closed. Both open and closed are great shots. All the best……Mike

• e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins

@spanky117ab said:
    Not sure how I missed this Harold but what a cool looking moth. One would never know that fantastic shade of red was there with the wings closed. Both open and closed are great shots. All the best……Mike

Possibly the same way I missed it earlier in the day :)

Thanks. It shows the red briefly, after landing, then closes up again, becoming cryptic 'though not against white plastic.

Harold