Cleistocactus winteri subs. colademononis Crosseye Stereo

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins

This is widely offered for sale as the "Monkey Tail cactus". It is always described as "rare", which it is clearly not.

It has been placed in various genera:

http://www.llifle.com/Encyclopedia/CACTI/Family/Cactaceae/3784/Cleistocactus_winteri

It is one of the original parents of numerous hybrids sold as Hildewinteras.

This is unusual among the above in having long, white spines.

These plants grow vertically initially, then some of them curve over, as this one has. The upper flower in the image is closer to the base of the stem than the second one emerging.

Olympus EM-1, (aperture priority), Olympus 4/3 50mm f2 macro, 1/60 at f8 ISO 1600, hand-held.

Harold

Comments

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

Please forgive my ignorance Harold but im not sure what im looking at in regards to the stereo images. Is one different than the other that im not seeing other than the focus, I really know nothing about the setup or purpose of it all. Does it require a stereo viewer like in the days of old using two prints in a hand held device. Cool looking subject.

• e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2022

@spanky117ab said:
    Please forgive my ignorance Harold but im not sure what im looking at in regards to the stereo images. Is one different than the other that im not seeing other than the focus, I really know nothing about the setup or purpose of it all. Does it require a stereo viewer like in the days of old using two prints in a hand held device. Cool looking subject.

A common question. You have to cross your eyes, looking at the right image with your left eye and the left one with your right eye. Some people get it right away but it took me weeks.

With the images in front of you, place your index finger pointing upwards, just in front of your nose. Watch the finger as you move it out to the border between the images. It helps if you can relax your focus at middle distance. Drop the finger out of view.

Harold

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

I just tried it and it worked, was that ever cool, of course my wife is laughing at me hysterically for going cross eyed but that's fine lol. Reminds me of one of those view master devices we had as kids in the 70's with the round picture discs. Thanks for showing me the way to view these cool shots. Take care....Mike

• e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins

@spanky117ab said:
    I just tried it and it worked, was that ever cool, of course my wife is laughing at me hysterically for going cross eyed but that's fine lol. Reminds me of one of those view master devices we had as kids in the 70's with the round picture discs. Thanks for showing me the way to view these cool shots. Take care....Mike

Brilliant! almost my every set of images, for many years, includes a crosseye stereo. Some work better than others.

Harold