My First Successful In-flight Dragonfly Image

e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins

This is a Common Darter male.

The green background is the water of a large pond.

I normally like to use manual focus because AF tends to focus on the background. However, these insects move around so much and so quickly that I had to use centre-spot AF and aim very accurately. The dragons do hover very briefly.

Olympus EM-1 (aperture priority), Panasonic 100 - 400mm Leica DG Vario-Elmar at 364mm 1/500 at f8 ISO 640.

The first image is uncropped and the second is cropped. I got only the one good frame.

Harold

Comments

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

Good one Harold, ive been trying to get one of those in flight for a while now. Perhaps next season.

• e6filmusere6filmuser Registered Users Posts: 3,376 Major grins

@spanky117ab said:
    Good one Harold, ive been trying to get one of those in flight for a while now. Perhaps next season.

Thanks. You may still have a chance this year. Our species are around into next month.

Harold

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

@e6filmuser said:

@spanky117ab said:

Thanks. You may still have a chance this year. Our species are around into next month.

Harold

In in northern Alberta Canada, its starting to get colder now with over night temps just a few deg above zero C. Unfortunately im seeing fewer insects buzzing around including spiders and dragonflies. I still go out looking though.