Options

Lightroom Catalog gets corrupted when I swap SSD into my other editing computer.

EskuvoEskuvo Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited September 16, 2022 in Digital Darkroom

I have 2 identical computers with the same Lightroom running on them.

I usually work on my home computer editing wedding photos in the morning. When I need to go to the office I take my editing SSD drive with me and istall it into my other PC. This is not an external SSD but a regular secondary drive I insert into the computer and close the housing.

Every time I swap the SSD drive the Lightroom catalog gets corrupted. The backup copy works so I use that all the time but the main catalog is corrupted.

My question: Why does it create a problem that I remove the SSD and insert it into another computer? Both computers has the same processor, motherboard, etc. I make sure I completely shut down the computer before I remove the drive.

Any ideas????

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator

Pure speculation on my part, but do either or both of your computers encrypt the hard drives? Can you read other files on the drive when LR isn't working?

• Options

Encryption is turned off. All other files are fine and open....

• Options
    andiamoandiamo Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins

It's impossible to know for sure without asking Adobe, but it's possible Lightroom embeds the machine ID in the catalog and uses it when it opens the DB. Just a guess. If it does, when you move the catalog to a different machine, the ID will not match

• Options

I have noticed that the corruption doesn‘t happen when I unplug the pc and try to start it again. The pc doesn't start obviously put removes all the leftover power from the computer. Then I remove the hard drive and I do the same procedure with the other computer. This way I can use the files in the second computer without any problem.