Not my kin

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I was out stalking barns near Balsam, N.C. It's great hunting grounds for my barn work. I came upon this place at the only intersection for miles around...... Knight"s Store. I can assure you that none of my family was involved in this business. You get any of that Florida bunch of Knights above 100 feet of elevation and they all get nosebleeds.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

So much character this thing has! I wonder why they used to build these things so close to the road? Didn't they think about the fact that one day a photographer would want some foreground?

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2022

Taz, my friend, it is really great to hear from you. How've you been doing?

Considering the overall location of this old store....in the middle of nowhere.... I suspect that those paved roads were dirt tracks during the best days of the place. I tried to find someone around who could gives me some history of the local, but no luck there.

I could have raised the bottom margin a tad and gotten rid of all the road right in front of the store but, then, I think the shot loses something that way. Judging from things, I think that house shown is late to the show.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Classic rural Americana Tom.

A great find. I suspect that there was probably no noise or other distractions in this little piece of nowhere. Peace and quiet, closing one's eyes I suspect one could get a sense of what the place was like in is heyday.

Keep on saving these old barns and structures one image at a time. I suspect you are up to a two-volume set by now, for that book!

Stay well my friend.

@El Gato said:
    Classic rural Americana Tom.

A great find. I suspect that there was probably no noise or other distractions in this little piece of nowhere. Peace and quiet, closing one's eyes I suspect one could get a sense of what the place was like in is heyday.

Keep on saving these old barns and structures one image at a time. I suspect you are up to a two-volume set by now, for that book!

Stay well my friend.

Hi, Al, it's great to hear from you. You've assessed the tone of that place very well.....isolated and literally silent. In doing a little research on Balsam, N.C., I was almost stunned to learn that early in the 1900's the area around Balsam was a hot spot for those looking to get away for a while. There was train service right to the little burg and a fairly large hotel-like facility available to them for extended stays. I eventually discovered the old facility but, as no one was around, I couldn't get any real info .

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Taz and I thought of the same word. "character." You know how to find them. :)

@Cornflake said:
    Taz and I thought of the same word. "character." You know how to find them. :)

Thankfully, Don, I am blessed with the opportunity to pursue this mania over barns, old farm equipment, etc., etc. I feel the heat, though. This old stuff is rapidly disappearing and I'm always having to expand my search area. But, golly, I sure do love getting out there amongst this stuff. Take care.