Options

Photo Gig- Hummer H1

JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
edited December 16, 2005 in Holy Macro
Hi Friends,

I was asked my a magazine to take some pictures of this Hummer for publication. The magazine is http://www.ultimatehummermag.com (this might give you idea of what they have published in the past).

I have published over 100 images to my Smugmug site to show them to them. They are located here:
http://jimmitte.smugmug.com/gallery/1042692/1/48396509
the password is: hummer

What are your thoughts? Are there any I should remove that aren't not as good? I wanted to give them variety, as they will get to choose how they want to lay out what type of images in their magazine.

Since this is my first shoot for them, the deal is they will pay me if they like my images enough to use them.

Help and comments are very appreciated. Thanks.

48398213-L.jpg

48403280-L.jpg

Oh, and he ran over a car for the shoot...
48398743-L.jpg
Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos

Comments

• Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    I'm not one to help, but I realy like the snow shot. The car crush one, not your idea, seems a bit silly, good shot tho'thumb.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2005
    I come away from those 3 wishing you had better control of the backgrounds.
    ne_nau.gif

the car crusher angle isn't that dramatic. If I watched a Hummer crush a car, I'd probably be thinking WOW! That photo makes me think, EH. Also, there's a corner of a car there in the bottom left corner thats OOF, and the dumpster on the right don't look so pro (that could be cropped).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I come away from those 3 wishing you had better control of the backgrounds.
    ne_nau.gif

the car crusher angle isn't that dramatic. If I watched a Hummer crush a car, I'd probably be thinking WOW! That photo makes me think, EH. Also, there's a corner of a car there in the bottom left corner thats OOF, and the dumpster on the right don't look so pro (that could be cropped).
    I know, the backgrounds were tough. It was behind this guys shop. I didn't have any control. I know I am asking a lot, but can you take a look at the gallery and let me know if you think there are some shots I should exclude when sending to the publication?
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    nlattonlatto Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    I think maybe it would look better if you were standing a little higher to get the shot. Maybe on a step ladder or something. Since the Hummer is so tall you are missing some of the vehicle.
    I take a lot of shots of offroading and the vehicles are so high that I have to get up a little for it to look good , to me.
    Also try it with the parking lights and running lights on, not the headlights or other white lights. See how that looks.
    Hope that helps.
    Nick
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    nlatto wrote:
    I think maybe it would look better if you were standing a little higher to get the shot. Maybe on a step ladder or something. Since the Hummer is so tall you are missing some of the vehicle.
    I take a lot of shots of offroading and the vehicles are so high that I have to get up a little for it to look good , to me.
    Also try it with the parking lights and running lights on, not the headlights or other white lights. See how that looks.
    Hope that helps.
    Nick
    Nick, please check out the gallery... http://jimmitte.smugmug.com/gallery/1042692/1/48396509
    I did bring a ladder and got some high and some low shots... I am just not sure I want to share the entire gallery with the magazine, if some of the shots don't look good.

Here is one on the crush where I got low:
    48399364-L.jpg

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,909 moderator
    edited December 15, 2005
    Jim,

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of reducing the DOF on shot #2 and adjusted with Levels and some USM to better "pop" the H1 from the background.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 15, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Jim,

I hope you don't mind, I took the liberty of reducing the DOF on shot #2 and adjusted with Levels and some USM to better "pop" the H1 from the background.

ziggy53
    You're on to something... Jim, use Ziggy's technique to deemphasize some backgrounds like this (just take the time to make all the grills and brushgaurds look right, you can see "clear" backgrounds, especially in the front right brushgaurd).

As for the gallery, there's nothing there that is "bad". They are all on the same wavelength. I would leave it up to the magazine, but make it clear that you will post-process some of those they pick a little bit more. Hopefully these guys can work closely with you and make it a good deal for both parties.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Jim,

ziggy53
    Hi Ziggy, I don't mind at all. Can you help me understand what you did? I have never been good at this post processing thing.

Thanks.

• Options
    nlattonlatto Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    I agree with Erik. All the shots look good. Some stand out more than others, but I would leave it up to them to decide what they will need. They know what their layout is going to be, so something that you don't like may work for them in a certain way.

Nick
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    nlatto wrote:
    I agree with Erik. All the shots look good. Some stand out more than others, but I would leave it up to them to decide what they will need. They know what their layout is going to be, so something that you don't like may work for them in a certain way.

Nick
    Thanks for the feedback, and WELCOME to DGRIN! wave.gif

• Options
    polartownjunkiepolartownjunkie Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    i enjoy the snow picture, particulary because it
    shows the hummers suspension in reaction
    the stance looks good in that picture as well, although
    i wish i could see the same picture from various angles,
    but if its the hummer your trying to capture, i say
    shot two does that the best
    since the origin of matter is matter
    shiny new thoughts are recycled clatter

down to my cell phone shooter,
    anyone have a decent early SD card digtal for grabs?

a doomed love
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    JimM wrote:
    Hi Ziggy, I don't mind at all. Can you help me understand what you did? I have never been good at this post processing thing.

Thanks.
    Jim,

For the quick and dirty method I used (with PhotoShop):

1) I made a copy of the entire image as a new layer, which became my working copy.
    2) I used a large brush size and the "Blur" tool to manually blur the upper section of the image, mostly the wooded area with sky, but with a little overlap into the H1 itself. The idea is to create a sense of DOF. Nearer objects would receive less blur; farther objects receive more blur.
    3) I switched to the erase tool and a small brush size and enlarged/zoomed in the image and erased the blurred parts of the H1 that I want as sharp as the original. (This exposes the underlying base image. I was not as careful as I could have been with the test. Heed Erik's comment.)
    4) Using the Image-Curves control on the base image (Not "Levels" like I said before, I meant Curves), I anchored the center of the line and pulled down the bottom section and pulled up the top section, increasing contrast selectively with the top section receiving less adjustment than the bottom.
    5) I used USM on the base image settings of Amount 20%, Radius 50 Pix, Threshold 33 and then Amount 214, Radius 0.2 Pix, Threshold 0.

This is about what the Curves looked like:
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    ziggy53 wrote:
    4) Using the Image-Curves control on the base image (Not "Levels" like I said before, I meant Curves), I anchored the center of the line and pulled down the bottom section and pulled up the top section, increasing contrast selectively with the top section receiving less adjustment than the bottom.
    5) I used USM on the base image settings of Amount 20%, Radius 50 Pix, Threshold 33 and then Amount 214, Radius 0.2 Pix, Threshold 0.
    Ziggy, thanks for the help and insight, I hate to keep bothering you, but exactly what does Image-Curves do? I have the same question for USM (in this case... I know the "Ultrasonic" definition ;) )

• Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    Magazine Response
    Hi Everyone, thank you for your comments. Here is what they said...

"JIM
    I opened them up on a different pc with a lacie professional monitor and they look a lot brighter as I suspected they woould. So dont worry about doing the extra work on touch up. We'll take care of that. But heres the numbers anyway

8 9 12 13 15 20 24 (very nice teaser shot) 27 49 57 70 74 75 76 80 84 86 98 100 102"

Looks like they must have liked them if they are going to use 20 images! I will keep you posted.

• Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    Jim,

Fantastic and congratulations having 20 images selected.

According to Adobe Help:

"
      Like the Levels dialog box, the Curves dialog box lets you adjust the entire tonal range of an image. But instead of making adjustments using only three variables (highlights, shadows, midtones), with Curves you can adjust any point along a 0-255 scale while keeping up to 15 other values constant.
    "
    ... so in a simplified explanation, Curves are somewhat like Levels, but with much greater control over "ranges" of values as well as bezier curved control shape(s).

USM is an acronym for Un-Sharp-Mask and is a filter methodology for increasing the contrast around shapes and edges in an image. The effect is an improved visual acuity or relative "visual sharpness". It is not a replacement for sharp optics and accurate focussing, but it can add some "snap" to an image. Overdone it looks pretty harsh and ugly (tacky).

The reason I used two different USM treatments is because the first affects more global contrast in the image and the second affects mostly object edges.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    I Touched One ;)
    JimM wrote:
    Hi Friends,

I was asked my a magazine to take some pictures of this Hummer for publication. The magazine is http://www.ultimatehummermag.com (this might give you idea of what they have published in the past).

I have published over 100 images to my Smugmug site to show them to them. They are located here:
    http://jimmitte.smugmug.com/gallery/1042692/1/48396509
    the password is: hummer

What are your thoughts? Are there any I should remove that aren't not as good? I wanted to give them variety, as they will get to choose how they want to lay out what type of images in their magazine.

Since this is my first shoot for them, the deal is they will pay me if they like my images enough to use them.

Help and comments are very appreciated. Thanks.
    Oh, and he ran over a car for the shoot...
    Hi there Jim.......lucky you clap.gif

When I was in OHIO recently we drove past a car yard and saw a brand new Hummer ..... a Burnt Orange one, so we turned around and went back and we got out and drooled allllllllllll over it rolleyes1.gif ...... I'd only ever seen one on TV on that Miami CSI show, and there I was in the car yard leaning on it :D

They are quite an amazing looking vehicle aren't they.......bet they cost an arm and a leg in fuel, I am pretty sure we don't have them here in Australia.

I see you have had a lot of replies to your post...... and I see you have been given lots of input....... all the best Jim........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin