Mini Challenge #342: It's a Rocky World

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
edited September 21, 2022 in The Dgrin Challenges

For this mini, rocks are the subject, whether it's a single pebble or a rock formation or the Grand Canyon (lots of rocks!!), any type of rock is allowed, so long as the rock(s) are the subject and not just a by-product.

This challenge will run until Friday, October 7, 9am Pacific Time.

Here's what I mean:

Here's the rules:

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed, including making composites as long as everthing you put in the photo is taken from a photo made by yourself. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Great theme Sara! Here are my entries:

1 Pile O' Rocks in Homer Alaska

2 Rock Landscape in Lake Powell, Prescott Arizona
    Lake Powell Prescott Arizona

3 Rocky Perch in Cabo San Lucas

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    1. Pebble and stone walkway in England
    2. Rock face in Alaska
    3. The Moll Dyer rock in my home town

According to legend, Moll Dyer was believed to have been a witch. During the long winter of 1697/98, she was blamed for a plague of influenza that caused many deaths in St. Mary’s County. A mob of villagers set fire to her small hut in woods just south of what is now Leonardtown. She escaped both the fire and the mob and was found several days later laying frozen to a large rock. When her body was removed, on the stone an imprint of her right hand remained. Townspeople saw this as a curse she placed on the area. The legend of Moll Dyer and her alleged curse has persisted for centuries. Touching the rock is rumored to cause misfortune from simple dizziness to illness.

Just for fun - gray gravel in Tanzania (not for judging as the main focus of the photo is not the gravel)

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

Here are my rocks:

1) Moss covered rocks - Mariposa County, Ca.

2) Very wet rocks - Pacific Coast

3) Outcrop rocks - Cool, Ca

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@JAG @grandmaR @Cavalier Thank you all for the great entries, each of which is exactly on-theme.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Great theme!

Our last vacation already gave me rocks for at least 10 submissions here :s

Slanted rocks

Standing strong

Natural arch

I'll be on vacation until the 11th, so it will be difficult for me to organise the next mini

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@pegelli Thanks for the entries - great rocks, where are they? Have fun on vacation - I hope you'll be someplace warmer than central Europe. :/

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator

Another fun mini challenge! Thanks @sarasphotos! Here is one image that seems to fit this topic. I will look for more if I can. (Feeling under the weather just now.)

1) Joshua Tree National Park (California, USA)

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2022

At first I thought I had lots of pictures of rocks, but now have discovered that most of my rocky pictures are really pictures of people (usually my daughter) with the rocks. I had to dig deep to find this one, but I know I have more and will post them later. We are making our first trip to Maine (Acadia National Park!) next week, so I feel like I'll have tons of rock pictures when I get back, but sadly that will be after the mini is over.

1. This is The Narrows at Zion National Park.

2. This is from the trail to Anna Ruby Falls near Helen, Georgia.

3. This is Horseshoe Bend near Page, Arizona. I've been to Horseshoe Bend a number of times both before the viewing platform and rails were added and since then. The first time, I was too chicken to get close enough to the edge (it's so windy!) to get the picture I wanted. Other times were just the wrong time of day or it was too crowded or whatever. I finally had a chance on a cloudy day with storms in the area to get there and finally get a shot I'm happy with. The wind at the edge is brutal and those little bits of sand sting when they hit you, but it's worth it! :)

Sherry P.

@sapphire73 Gretchen, thanks for the swell entry - I hope you can find two more. Hope you're feeling better soon!

@slpollett Sherry, what fine rock pictures you found. Thanks for entering!

Only two more days - it would be great to see some more entries!

The Mini is now closed - I'll get the results up sometime tomorrow. Thanks to all who participated!