Upload once, have it in different gallery with different security settings

DMattDMatt Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins

I'm checking Smugmug every few months if this is implemented jet. I want to upload a picture only once to my private folder (or gallery). And then I want to distribute some pictures (from my private folder) for many uses: family albums, portfolio, themed galleries. All of those have different privacy settings. Why can't photo inherit rules from the gallery which is in? If I have one photo in 4 galleries I have to upload it 4 times!

Tagged:

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2019

Upload once. Make a 2nd copy and move it.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • DMattDMatt Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins

Hm, interesting. Only I'll have to do a new gallery for copying step.

• nonaxoxoxnonaxoxox Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins

I agree, it seems that if you leave the photo security wide open, that it should inherit access rights from the gallery it's placed in.

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins

This is something that we'll move towards in the future, though I don't have a time on when we'll get there.

dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins

That's good to hear, looking forward to it. I've wanted it to work that way too.

@leftquark said:
    This is something that we'll move towards in the future, though I don't have a time on when we'll get there.

That would be very helpful. Looking forward to it.

Nothing changed?

• TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins

We have made a bit of a change the way collected images work.

Collected photos honor the commerce settings—such as shopping cart, proof delay, boutique packaging, personal delivery, brand packaging, printmark, and backprinting—of the collected gallery, not the original source gallery.

The privacy settings though continue to be that of the original gallery. We appreciate all the feedback you have all given about wanting to see it work differently but at this time it privacy still follows the settings of the original gallery.

Allen's suggestion of
    "Upload once. Make a 2nd copy and move it."
    is a great workaround you can use to have an image use a different privacy setting.

Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero