Mini-Challenge 343: Black and White Up Close

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited October 25, 2022 in The Dgrin Challenges

This challenge, you will need to post your 3 best black and white photos that are actually close-ups of an object. It can be anything, as long as it is a close up shot in black and white. This challenge starts immediately and will run till November 1st, 2022, at 5pm Alaska time. Here are my examples:

Taken with my cell phone, Mushroom Forest

The Carpenter

In your Face Whiskers

I see you (an elk's eye close up)

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed, including making composites as long as everthing you put in the photo is taken from a photo made by yourself. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2022
    1. Selfie in the bottom of a stainless steel sink

2. My husband's black and white cat

3. When this challenge was pictured, This photo was what i thought of first

I was at the dentist and whlie I was lying there in the chair I took a photo with my cell phone of the circular light with the individual lights that was shining down on me . This is the whole light in black and white

and then I cropped in on each individual light. I got a lot of really different effects like the one above and this one.which I think has the spatters wiped off

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Nice challenge Joyce, I recently acquired a dedicated B&W camera so a good opportunity to show some close-ups I've been able to make with it.

1: Core of a millstone

2: Km. marker along the river Mosel

3: A once famous minibus

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Great images @grandmaR and @pegelli . Thanks for starting things off.

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2022

I don't have many super close-ups in BW, but here are a few that are close. After posting the original entry, I changed one of the entries on the dame day to better fit the topic.

1) Maternity shoot - folded hands with baby booties.

2) Wedding Prep shoot - Bride's dress hanger close up

3) Rose is a rose

edited October 20, 2022

Great set Jo! @Cavalier Thanks for participating!

come on people! Shouldn't be too hard to create something to fit the theme. Anything goes on this, you can take a color photo and make it into a black and white image through any editing program. You can even crop an image down to make it look more close up if that works. Easy peasy!

I am extending the end date until November 1st. I certainly hope that we have more participation!

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

I think we need to do some recruiting.

I'm leaving on a two week trip on the 31ar of October, so I won't be able to run a mini. So if by some chance you pick me, just go to the second choice automatically

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”

@grandmaR said:
    I think we need to do some recruiting.

I'm leaving on a two-week trip on the 31ar of October, so I won't be able to run a mini. So, if by some chance you pick me, just go to the second choice automatically

I actually have an announcement posted on the Holy Maco board just in case anyone wants to participate from there. The board is pretty quiet all over dgrin. I know we usually have a slump in the summertime, might be that all the bad weather all over and just life itself, is keeping people away.

Have a great trip!

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

Our cat named Walter

Mosquito up close and personal

3 horror characters from the days of black and white cinema

Thanks for looking... Mike.

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

It's not that I don't want to participate, but this is a busy time of year for me at work. I rarely have anything in black & white, so I would either need to shoot something new or go find something older that is macro. I just haven't had a chance to stop and look. I still intend to participate if I can.

Sherry P.

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins

Eggstremely dirty hands

Watch this

Palmetto hat from Marjorie Kinnan Rawling's home in Cross Creek FL

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins

Good choice of themes. It encouraged me to look back at some previously-taken shots and see what could be rendered in B&W for a new look.

Two of my submissions were kept as color, but work well in B&W.

Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/

Thank you Mike @spanky117ab and @TonyCooper for jumping on in and participating in our little challenge. Both of you have great entries! I always like looking at older photos and seeing how they look if they were in black and white. I think it can bring in a different perspective on an image.

Sherry ( @slpollett ), I hope you can find the time to participated! I totally understand if you can't.

2 days left! I know more people can come up with this! It's really not a hard one to do!

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited November 1, 2022

We have been out of town, and now that we are back I am not finding many close ups in my portfolio. Unfortunately, I don't have a macro lens for my Fuji camera system yet. But here are two photos - one macro and a recent close up photo. (Please don't count as an entry though as I may be called away again.)

1. Night Blooming Cereus

2. Bighorn Sheep - Seeing Eye to Eye on Mount Evans in Colorado
      (I was in the passenger seat in the car, and the ewe was on the side of the road.)

this challenge is closed.