A couple of recent shots

CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

These are always fun.

Asymmetrical symmetry.

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

On these kind of shots, it's usually critical to get the eyes sharp. Good job on that, Don. Second one is nice , as well.

While I've never shot birds, I've been tempted. I have a humming bird feeder that hangs about a foot and half from a kitchen window. When they're in our area, they mob this feeder. Unfortunately, that widow won't open, got to deal with the glass. Not having tried this shot, I'm not sure if a circular polarizer might help....it often does for me. You guys that post shots like this do good work.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited October 16, 2022

Thanks, Tom.

When I'm photographing hummingbirds, I pick my equipment and select my settings and seldom change them much. If I stop to adjust the settings, that's when the best photo opportunity will occur and I won't be prepared. So I don't. I started before the sun had risen. The aperture was at f 5..6 because my telephoto zoom won't open up more than that. I had the time set at 1/800, which was a little too slow. I used auto ISO and at the start I was getting 6400. I didn't want to boost it more, which speeding up the exposure or adding a polarizer would have done. This was taken shortly after the sun appeared. Auto ISO then had me at 1600. After this shot I did stop briefly to increase the shutter speed to 1/1000.

Polarizers are definitely a big plus with many shots. One would have helped a little here with the white areas on the bird, which were close to blown out, but they don't bother me. We can't always maximize every variable.

By the way, I'm not being defensive. I thought your comment was entirely sensible. Just thought I'd explain why I didn't use a polarizer.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I appreciate your rundown on the procedures you employed for this shot, Don. I'm sure a lot of variables change your approach from time to time. I mentioned the polarizer issue since I'll be limited to shooting hummingbirds through the glass window with the camera lens very close to the glass and I am curious about glare effects I may encounter. I know that in shooting displays behind glass, I find the polarizer to be darn near indispensable. Only way to find out for sure in this case is to give it a go and see what happens. Take care.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Good discussion. When shooting birds I shoot at at least 1/1000 or faster. You nailed the focus on the eyes. I think the second one would work better in BW.

• CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins

Thanks, Cristobal. I tried the second one in black and white and it was boring to me.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Both shots are appealing Tom.

Both also seem to have taken some pre-planning and a fair bit of tech approach to "getting it right," which you obviously have done.

Great images.