Links page will not load in Chrome

ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins
edited November 29, 2022 in SmugMug Support

Hi, Magicians. Win10 is up-to-date, as are Firefox and Chrome. The Links page loads in Firefox. I've tried clearing cookies and re-starting. The page times out. I'd appreciate it if someone would tell me what to fix. Thanks.
/www joinrats com/Links

Editing to add: The page loads in Edge, but with some content looking good and then other content broken. But then the page spins and reverts to "page not responding".

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins

Doesn't load in Chrome here either.

Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

But it loads just fine in Firefox! If I look at the Console diagnostics in Chrome as the page is loading, I see this error message:

"Could not load content for https://cdn.smugmug.com/include/js/bundles/react-router-dom.min.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE"

It couldn't find one of the SmugMug javascript libraries. And, indeed, if I try that link, there's nothing there. All that says there is a problem with the SmugMug internals. I think you need to contact the help desk directly and let them know they have a bug.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • ChancyRatChancyRat Registered Users Posts: 2,141 Major grins

@Jtring said:
    But it loads just fine in Firefox! If I look at the Console diagnostics in Chrome as the page is loading, I see this error message:

"Could not load content for https://cdn.smugmug.com/include/js/bundles/react-router-dom.min.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE"

It couldn't find one of the SmugMug javascript libraries. And, indeed, if I try that link, there's nothing there. All that says there is a problem with the SmugMug internals. I think you need to contact the help desk directly and let them know they have a bug.

THANKS so much!! I have emailed Smugmug Help.

edited December 2, 2022

Smugmug Hero Nick wrote, "I am unable to open this page up at all within the customizer. It entirely freezes my browser. I was able to open the page source up in the browser, and see a bunch of javascript. That is likely causing the problem, as we do not accept javascript. Unfortunately we have no way of getting the page to open or fix whatever is wrong with it. The only option would be to try and copy the code, if possible, or if you have it locally, you'd need to re-write it, without the javascript."

I do see 21 instances of js in the source code...
    and my site did have customized JS way back when SM allowed it {waves HI to Allen!}, but after SM removed the option, I believe I removed all JS.

An odd thing here is that this page worked for years after javascript was removed, years where I made no edits to the site at all. Why would it break now and not on day 1 after Smug removed java as an option?

To see the source code on the Links page, I used Firefox, but the js code seems ubiquitous to the universe and not limited to this page - and I definitely don't recognize it for anything I would have added so many years ago.
    Could someone please tell me where and how I would remove the code?

Thanks.

EDITING to add: The only way JS could have gotten onto my site would have been via Smugmug's own code, or by my adding custom code provided by the wizards on Digital Grin. So while I hear Nick saying perhaps I have to re-write it, I'm assuming it must exist in a custom field somewhere, where I have access to that and can thus delete it.

Waves back. :p

edited December 2, 2022

@Allen said:
    Waves back. :p

Allen, do you have an easy way to find any of your fossil javascript on this page? LOL

Clicking the gear for Web Developer and picking View JavaScript I get this.

Thank you, Allen. But but - I didn't put that there (or anywhere else). Who is the original author, and shouldn't they remove the code?

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited December 5, 2022

@ChancyRat said:
    Thank you, Allen. But but - I didn't put that there (or anywhere else). Who is the original author, and shouldn't they remove the code?

While I suspect there is JavaScript in underlying SmugMug code we as users can't include javascript on our pages.

Given that the page works in Firefox it seems like you should review the code in Firefox to see if you can identify the problem and possibly fix or rebuild the page.

It might also be worth asking SmugMug to look at it again to see why there is different behavior in the browsers.

• Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,448 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2022

The only way to insert JS is via the HTML/CSS blocks and I didn't see any. When I copied your HTML/CSS to my test page, after A LOT of trial and error, I found out that for some reason it doesn't like column-count and column-gap on your #box elements. When I removed it, it loaded fine in Chrome.

I think it's time to re-design your site or at least the Link page. Take a look at your page on a mobile. I can't see how anybody can read it.