Mini challenge # 345: "Your best photo of the last 12 month"

pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
edited November 20, 2022 in The Dgrin Challenges

The last couple of mini's have really suffered from low participation so I've chosen a theme for this one such that nobody will have an excuse not to enter this time.

The theme is "Your best photo of (roughly) the last 12 month". I know this will make judging harder because the subjects will be very different but I hope the Mods will advertise this a bit broader on the forum to try and attract new people to the mini's.

So the theme is fully open with the only restriction that your submissions should be taken between december 1 2021 and december 15 2022. So you still have a few weeks to go out and take that best picture, but if you already have them available that's fine as well.

Here's a few of mine from last year that I liked, but don't limit yourself to any of these subjects, you're free to post anything that you feel good about!

Antwerp Province office building

A fox along the road

Reflected treeline

Amaryllis

The mini challenge will end on december 15 2022 @ 5pm West European time.
I hope you all Have fun with this
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter.
The 1st place winner then chooses the next topic, judges the winner and then passes on the baton to the new champion.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed, including making composites as long as everthing you put in the photo is taken from a photo made by yourself. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
5. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.
Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (see here for help)
7. Don't be hesitant, share'em and enter!
Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round your first step is coming up with a new theme, and start a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging start a new thread (again use the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up, it is important to have runners up incase the winner does not show within the 72hr window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72hrs.
7. After the 72hrs and the winner does not show up, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the show.

Pieter, aka pegelli
My SmugMug

Comments

• JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited December 16, 2022

This has been a rough year this year for me, so I've only used my cell phone for taking pictures thus far. Most all my photography pictures have been things around my yard or out my windows or inside my house, so here is the best of those.

1 Just after the storms, out my picture window. We just had 2 major blizzards that dumped 72 inches of snow!

2 Frosty day. This one I took today as we are having ice fog. It has put a coat of hoar frost all over the trees. You can't see much of the trees trunks because the snow berm is over 8 ft high.

3 My Future Reunion (looks like I had one off our property)

• GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins

Very Tough challenge, hard to pick just 3

1 Landing

2 San Jacinto Monument at Sunset

3 A-26 "Invader" after a late afternoon summer storm

• slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins

Hmmm....we took two wonderful trips this year that gave me the opportunity to take some pictures that I am proud of enough to say they are best of the year. First trip was a sort of family get-together in Gatlinburg, TN. The other was a bucket list first-time trip to Maine in October to see the fabulous fall colors of New England. It didn't disappoint.

1. My favorite photo of the year (and maybe all-time) is this shot of the 1780 Selectmen's Building in Somesville, ME. We almost missed this little gem. We were driving around near Acadia National Park looking for photo ops. Daughter says ooh, this is nice so I turned to look as we drove past. I had been looking out the other side of the car. Since we were past it by that point, my husband asked if he needed to turn around. I didn't get a good enough look to know if I wanted to turn around, so I waffled. My daughter then said "Mom, you want this." so the hubs turned around. I'm so glad he did. This became his favorite photo of our vacation as well. Many thanks to my daughter for knowing what Mom wanted. :)

2. I've always wanted a nice sunrise photo, but have never lucked out to get the great skies when I set out early enough to try. Well, we got lucky with this one from the Cadillac Mountain summit at Acadia National Park. We were lucky to get a permit for one, and then we were lucky to get this beautiful sunrise.

3. I have more favorites from Acadia/Maine, but I thought I'd post this one from Great Smoky Mountains National Park. I have never tried to photograph birds. I don't really have the lens for it, but also I'd rather photograph other things. We hired a photography guide one morning, really to find the bears and it so happens our guide also loves birds. He pointed this one out to me and I ended up being really happy with it. We were probably 150-200 yards away so this is a heavily cropped image.

Sherry P.

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins

For me, it is very hard to pick the 'best'. And I am basically a 'snatch the moment' type photographer. I don't feel that my photos are as good as most of the photographers here. So I aimed for 'most unusual' which would eliminate photos taken on the two trips I made this year.

The first one is of my two great grandchildren who were born less than a year apart. Normally I think that having a cuteness factor is sort of cheating, but I couldn't resist this one.
    1. Brothers

2, A black vulture - taken at a Stop sign near my house.

The last one was really unusual. In May, I was taken by helicopter to a hospital in the city because I had 20 blood clots in my lungs. After the helicopter landed, I was in the ER for a hour or two waiting for a room. With my cell phone, I took some photos of the
    3. EMTs in the ER - waiting to see the results of their delivery.

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins

Thanks for entering @JAG , @Gatto , @slpollett and @grandmaR . All worthy entries

@all others: pls. make my judging a lot harder by entering soon, less than a week left until this mini will be closed!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • lmelamedlmelamed Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    I would have liked to enter but don't see any way to post photos.

@lmelamed said:

You need a host site like Flickr or SmugMug (or any other) and hotlink from there. You can't directly upload photo's to Dgrin

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

@pegelli said:

@lmelamed said:

You need a host site like Flickr or SmugMug (or any other) and hotlink from there. You can't directly upload photo's to Dgrin

?, I do ...I just click on the last icon on the right circled in red in the attached image :D and browse to a folder on my PC.

@ Gatto, thanks, I never knew that, more proof that one is never too old to learn B)
    Let's test how this works:

I hope this (for me new) way to show photo's here will inspire more people to join, only 1 day left!

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • lmelamedlmelamed Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    I don't have that line. The only thing I have is the smiley dropdown.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

@lmelamed said:

Since you have just joined, you need to post a little more before you are able to post images. Just go and reply to a few more images that others have posted and soon enough, you will be able to post pictures. This is a feature to keep spam off the sight. Some spammers will dump a bunch of spammy images across the whole boards. This prevents this from happening. Kinda a pain for new members who just want to participate, but you don't have to post much to get the picture feature.

edited December 15, 2022

@pegelli said:
    @ Gatto, thanks, I never knew that, more proof that one is never too old to learn B)
    Let's test how this works:

I hope this (for me new) way to show photo's here will inspire more people to join, only 1 day left!

I love your reply ...to make sure it "WORKS" you posted a picture of a guy that is NOT Working !
    Genius ! :D:D:D it Works !

• moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,413 Major grins

I got to looking, thinking I hadn't done a lot of 'good' shooting this year, then I had trouble picking just three...

1 - Fireworks at the Magic Kingdom.

2 - Some panning action from the IMSA Sports Car race at Virginia International Raceway. Ryan Eversley, driving this car, has gotten to be a good friend of ours.

3 - USAF Thunderbirds flying at the Dover Air Force Base open house.

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited December 17, 2022

Great topic for a mini! Haven't taken many photos with my Fuji camera this year but did spend time in Colorado in September. Have only processed a few of these and would prefer they not be counted as entries as I am heading out of town soon. Thank you!

1) Rainbow appearing as the rain and snow cleared (Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado)

2) Bighorn Sheep on Ridge (Mount Evans which may soon be called Mount Blue Sky instead, Colorado)

3) Elk Buck at Dusk (Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado)

edited December 15, 2022

@lmelamed said:

I'll leave the mini open a little longer (Dec 17, 12:00 noon NWE time) to give you a chance to join. Either make some more posts so you can upload directly or insert them by hotlinking from another (hosting) site.

@moose135 , @sapphire73 , thanks for entering and making my judging harder :)

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug

Thanks all for entering, this mini is now closed. I'll put on my thinking cap and post my comments and results later this weekend

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug