Canon 1D Mark II

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited January 29, 2004 in The Big Picture
I found a thread on dpreview that is discussing the Canon 1D Mark II. It looks pretty legit. It had a link back to a canon.fr site, links are not active, but a pdf download is. If it is true it looks great, hope it is not a rumor/hoax.

dpreiview 1DmkII thread

There are a few links in the thread.

Comments

• patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2004
    Quick specs (they were in French)
    • 8.2mp effective/CMOS
    • 8.5 fps
    • buffer 40 jpg/20raw
    • 1.3 focal multiplier
    • same battery as 1D/1Ds
    • ISO 100-1600
    • boost ISO 50 & 3200
    • ETTL-II comp with EX flash
    • 2" LCD 230,000 pixels
    • auto rotation

That is what I can gather from the translation. Hopefully the pdf will download. The dpreview thread has some translations.

What do you think? wxwax are you getting one? nod.gif It looks like it will be available in April.

This could be true or rumor. ne_nau.gif I guarantee nothing, but it looks good to me. I want one. thumb.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2004
    Oh geez, that's the dream camera. Fast and big... this is exactly what I was afraid of! :cry Oh boy, oh dear, it's all so freakin' expensive!! But what a camera.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited January 27, 2004
    Unfortunately, the link to the French site produces a broken page. Must be getting buried in hits, or they've taken it down.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited January 28, 2004
    One other new feature: it now has slots for two kinds of memory - Compact Flash and Secure Digital.
    Sid.
  • Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    One other new feature: it now has slots for two kinds of memory - Compact Flash and Secure Digital.

hey ill save up and give you 3k for your 5 series that you never drive...then you can but the camera....

charlie- somewhat serious
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
    edited January 28, 2004
    Just save up and give me the 3K. mwink.gif
    Sid.
    edited January 29, 2004
    It is official. clap.gif

Find info at Canon.

Also at dpreview and robgalbraith.

$4500.00 USD
    edited January 29, 2004
    They also added two new lenses and have updated the RAW convertor software (no detail yet).

28-300/3.5-5.6L IS
    70-300/4.5-5.6 DO
    edited January 29, 2004
    hey ill save up and give you 3k for your 5 series that you never drive...then you can but the camera....

charlie- somewhat serious

I think the price just went up to $4500 + another 3K for lenses. rolleyes1.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2004
    Hell...have a look at its raw burst speed. If you were shooting sports for a living then you couldnt afford not to have it !!
    edited January 29, 2004
    Im surprised they dont mention Wi-Fi. Or do you buy that seperatly & add on ?? A camera with that much ability should have it....specially for the pro media shooters.
    edited January 29, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Hell...have a look at its raw burst speed. If you were shooting sports for a living then you couldnt afford not to have it !!

Don't forget the jpg buffer is 2x the RAW, but at 8fps it fills fast, but with the newer faster memory it should clear the buffer even faster. I cannot wait to see some shots from it and get my hands on one. I wonder what Nikon is thinking today? I hope they keep up, so prices will stay down.

I wonder what else Canon has to bring out? A 10D replacement? How about a 1Ds replacement, few rumors there, maybe not until summer/fall. I don't really care the 1DmkII will work just fine. They have not even started with the prosumer and consumer cameras either. This is going to be a very busy two weeks.

I wonder if this camera will show up at the Superbowl, now that they announced it days prior to it?
    edited January 29, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    I wonder if this camera will show up at the Superbowl, now that they announced it days prior to it?

It would not surprise me if it did and they had promo shots/posters ready for PMA. headscratch.gif

bowdown.gif Canon clap.gif Keep up the good work, when can I deal.gif ?
    edited January 29, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    It would not surprise me if it did and they had promo shots/posters ready for PMA. headscratch.gif

bowdown.gif Canon clap.gif Keep up the good work, when can I deal.gif ?
    bet it will surge
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2004
    What's up with the 1.3x multiplier? For 4500 bones, I'd expect no crop factor.

wtf, I already got my beast mwink.gif

canon-eos-10d-i1.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited January 29, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    They also added two new lenses and have updated the RAW convertor software (no detail yet).

28-300/3.5-5.6L IS
    70-300/4.5-5.6 DO
    Got links to the lenses?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
    edited January 29, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Got links to the lenses?

They are at dpreview on the front page.
    edited January 29, 2004
    fish wrote:
    What's up with the 1.3x multiplier? For 4500 bones, I'd expect no crop factor.

I think they still want to keep the 1Ds and its replacement as the top dog FF cameras.

The 1DmkII is still set to be a journalist (they might want FF) and sport photographer camera. In the sports world the 1.3 is a great deal because you can basically have a 390/2.8 (from a 300) that replaces the 400/2.8 on film for $3K less, plus if you have a 400 now it is a 520/2.8. clap.gif
    edited January 29, 2004
    Direct links to dpreview info.

EOS 1DmkII

70-300/DO

28-300/IS
    edited January 29, 2004
    thx patch. $2,499 for the 28-300? Makes the 70-200/2.8 seem positively affordable. $1300 for the 70-300 DO...hmm.
    edited January 29, 2004
    fish wrote:
    thx patch. $2,499 for the 28-300? Makes the 70-200/2.8 seem positively affordable. $1300 for the 70-300 DO...hmm.

That is a price lens, but if you can only take one lens it would be a great choice. I would like to have one for certain situations, but not sure about $2,499. That is list so hopefully it will sell for less. I will be interested to see some reviews on its sharpness throughout its range and what type of pincushioning or barrel distortion it has.

The DO lens is great for it size, perfect to stick in a tankbag or large pocket.

I hope they have a few more lenses to bring on board. I would like to see the 200/1.8 brought back with IS. nod.gif
    edited January 29, 2004
    $2499 is a lot, but if it's the only lens you carry for a long while, maybe a good thing. Curious to see the reviews. If it's good, you could have a two lens bag - one wide angle and the 28-300. Great for travelling, say on a motorcycle.
    Sid.
    edited January 29, 2004
    Canon USA has more info on 1DmkII here.

It includes press release info and brochures.