Bull moose in our yard

spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

This bull had wandered down to our slough for a drink of water, when I noticed it the giant was starting to head away. I quickly grabbed the first camera that I seen sitting on the workbench, my Nikon D810 and it had my Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 lens on it. No time to look for the longer 200-500mm Nikon lens, this set up would have to do. Moose can cover a lot of distance in a very short time and I wanted to get some shots before it was gone forever. By the time I got outside it had crossed the road and ran into my neighbours farm. Standing at the end of my driveway I was able to capture some photos of the large beast all while wishing I had my long lens attached, however the higher resolution of the D810 allowed me to crop in to the shot helping to make up for the missing focal range.
The moose was heading away so I whistled to get it's attention, I got it alright ,it turned and started running my way. I thought OK now ive done it, im about to get stomped into the ground by this monster. The moose stopped and presented itself in such a way that any hunter would wish for as seen in the third and remaining photo's. These truly are magnificent creatures.

When the moose eventually left the area I walked back down my driveway and into my house were I promptly proceeded to change my underwear. : )

Thanks for looking, regards....Mike

Comments

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

What a cool encounter with nature in your own back yard! Great shots.

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

@sarasphotos said:
    What a cool encounter with nature in your own back yard! Great shots.

Thanks for the comment Sara, it certainly was a cool encounter, one I will remember for a long time.

• TonyBrittonTonyBritton Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins

How exciting it must have been to photograph this majestic animal. Great photos!

Tony

"My wife and I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"
    https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/

@TonyBritton said:
    How exciting it must have been to photograph this majestic animal. Great photos!

Tony

Thanks for the comment Tony, it got really exciting and scary when it started running toward me : )

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 26, 2023

It is easy to underestimate the imposing size of a moose, unless you have been up close and personal with one. I would need to change my underwear too after becoming an object of a moose's serious attention.

In April of 2015, I was heading to Alaska, in Yukon territory, when I came across a south bound pick up truck, that had recently hit a moose. The collision , literally destroyed the pickup, totally crushed the front of the truck. Killed the moose too, sadly. The driver survived, I never heard what happened to the person in the passenger seat. They had already been placed in an ambulance, on life support, for transport to a hospital.

An image from that road trip a few days later - https://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/Alan-Road-Trip-2015-Tiger/i-f2V2bmQ/A

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

@pathfinder said:
    It is easy to underestimate the imposing size of a moose, unless you have been up close and personal with one. I would need to change my underwear too after becoming an object of a moose's serious attention.

In April of 2015, I was heading to Alaska, in Yukon territory, when I came across a south bound pick up truck, that had recently hit a moose. The collision , literally destroyed the pickup, totally crushed the front of the truck. Killed the moose too, sadly. The driver survived, I never heard what happened to the person in the passenger seat. They had already been placed in an ambulance, on life support, for transport to a hospital.

An image from that road trip a few days later - https://pathfinder.smugmug.com/Travel/Alan-Road-Trip-2015-Tiger/i-f2V2bmQ/A

Awesome moose photos Pathfinder, I wish I would have had my 500mm lens on when I photographed my encounter. Moose and deer are always on our minds when driving especially during the mating season in the fall, even deer can do a lot of harm at speed.

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited March 27, 2023

About 20 years ago, on one of the many road trips I took on two wheels - 1200 GS - was around Lake Superior. Along the north shore, I remember the great billboard sized signs, complete with dozens of flashing lights, to warn motorists of the presence of moose and deer on or near the highways. And the danger from them.
    My riding partner and I took these warnings to heart, and travelled safely on eastbound, and departed Canada at Sault Ste Marie, several days later. We continued, westbound, around the south shore to Copper Harbor on the central portion of Superior's south shore. After spending the mid-day at lunch in Copper Harbor, we headed south, and began to see a lot of deer along the highway leading back towards the mainland portion of the UP. By the time sunset was approaching we were riding by herds of deer standing along the roadway - a dozen or more at a time - and wishing we were back in the safety of Canada. I enjoy deer, greatly, but I do not enjoy riding a motorcycle by them standing along the roadway. I didn't stop for a photo, because I was desperate to get far away from the deer before sundown. I was truly grateful when we finally found a welcoming motel and abandoned riding for the day. I have known several friends who hit deer while on two wheels. Not all of them lived to tell the tale. And moose are 3-4 times the size of most deer.......

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

@pathfinder said:

About 20 years ago, on one of the many road trips I took on two wheels - 1200 GS - was around Lake Superior. Along the north shore, I remember the great billboard sized signs, complete with dozens of flashing lights, to warn motorists of the presence of moose and deer on or near the highways. And the danger from them.
    My riding partner and I took these warnings to heart, and travelled safely on eastbound, and departed Canada at Sault Ste Marie, several days later. We continued, westbound, around the south shore to Copper Harbor on the central portion of Superior's south shore. After spending the mid-day at lunch in Copper Harbor, we headed south, and began to see a lot of deer along the highway leading back towards the mainland portion of the UP. By the time sunset was approaching we were riding by herds of deer standing along the roadway - a dozen or more at a time - and wishing we were back in the safety of Canada. I enjoy deer, greatly, but I do not enjoy riding a motorcycle by them standing along the roadway. I didn't stop for a photo, because I was desperate to get far away from the deer before sundown. I was truly grateful when we finally found a welcoming motel and abandoned riding for the day. I have known several friends who hit deer while on two wheels. Not all of them lived to tell the tale. And moose are 3-4 times the size of most deer.......

Thats yet another thing we have in common, motorcycles. When I first came to Alberta from B.C I rode there on and old Honda CB 750 that was held together with duck tape and binder twine : ) My last bike was a Honda V65 Sabre 1100. I loved that bike and sure miss riding. I've had 5 street bikes over the years. I dont want to think about what a moose and rider accident might look like that's scary stuff.