Northern Italian Village

sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Finally getting around to processing the rest of last year's photos...

Last August I rode a portion of the "Via Claudia Augusta", a 700+ kilometer bike/hike trail that runs from Germany over the Alps through Austria and then through northern Italy to the Adriatic. As luck would have it, on that day the weather was not so great and the mountain scenery was nice but not its usual specular self. In addition to the mostly grey weather, about 70% of the 90km route was downhill (why do you think I chose it???) and I was cruising along at speeds up to 50kph, which ist pretty fast for an old lady on a bike. :smiley: As a result, I got some ok shots of the scenery and one or two interesting shots of castles or villages.

As I came downhill around the curve into this village I slammed on the brakes and pulled out the camera (and had to wait for the car coming in the other direction to pass).

I know it's a matter of taste, but what do you think of the sky - is it too much?

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I love this shot, Sara. I, too, would have braked hard to record this scene. To me, the sky is in perfect accord with the prevailing mood that I sense.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    I love this shot, Sara. I, too, would have braked hard to record this scene. To me, the sky is in perfect accord with the prevailing mood that I sense.

Thanks Tom - appreciate the comment!

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Very nice shot Sara. I think the sky adds some drama and reflects the stormy nature of mountain weather. Nicely done.

Thanks Cristóbal, it was a fun day and thankfully didn't rain.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Wonderful Sarah! Processing is awesome too!

@Stumblebum said:
    Wonderful Sarah! Processing is awesome too!

Thanks Taz, glad you liked it.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Sara...

All know of my passion for B&W...this is a beautiful shot!

The sky, IMHO, is perfect and as Cristóbal states, "adds drama" to the overall image.

Thank you for including the "back so\tory" with the photo, it adds perspective. The trek sounds wonderful and I suspect hard to complete on a timely basis, if one stops at all the potential "photo opportunities" along the way.

Again, a beautiful image!

@El Gato said:
    Sara...

All know of my passion for B&W...this is a beautiful shot!

The sky, IMHO, is perfect and as Cristóbal states, "adds drama" to the overall image.

Thank you for including the "back so\tory" with the photo, it adds perspective. The trek sounds wonderful and I suspect hard to complete on a timely basis, if one stops at all the potential "photo opportunities" along the way.

Again, a beautiful image!

Thanks Al (is that right???), I appreciate the compliment!

And you're right, one always has to weigh the time vs photo op factor, and on some days one can take more time than on others. On this particular day I was under way for not quite 6 hours and just about four of that was riding time. (E-bikes have built in computers that are ocnnected to an app where you can get a close look at all of your trip data.)