How to change video thumnails in New Smugmug?

TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
edited August 30, 2015 in SmugMug Customization
Many of my videos have a white or black opening frame. As far as I can tell New Smugmug is using the opening frame for thumbnails. Other video services I use let me select the frame used for the thumbnail. Can I do that with New SM?
Jerry

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2015
    Teetime wrote: »
    Many of my videos have a white or black opening frame. As far as I can tell New Smugmug is using the opening frame for thumbnails. Other video services I use let me select the frame used for the thumbnail. Can I do that with New SM?
    Click the tool wrench > Replace Preview
    You will see this
    To replace preview
    "The video preview image must match the dimensions of the video: 1280 x 720 pixels."
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2015
    Thanks Allen. I missed that whole bottom right menu on the video.
    Jerry

• CharleyMCharleyM Registered Users Posts: 6 Big grins
    This doesn't seem to be supported anymore. Another annoying aspect of SM's video support. The 20 min limit really irks me as well.
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee

Hey Charley. This is still supported. Would you mind sharing with us a link to the video, where you cannot find the wrench icon?

SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
    Here's the link to the gallery: https://charlesmanske.smugmug.com/Travel/Bali-Video
    The only wrench icon I see is in the menu bar above the videos and that only has "Title, Caption, and Keywords," "Location Data," and "Hide" in the menu. This is in Organize mode.
    Is there supposed to be a wrench on the video itself? Don't see anything in "View on Site" mode either
    edited February 9, 2023

The shows here. Pick "Replace Preview".
    This has to be in the videos' original gallery for anything collected etc.
    BTW, this is a Smugmug style gallery.

I changed the gallery theme to "SmugMug" in "View" mode and that didn't change anything. How do you get to a page that looks like that? When I'm in "Organize" mode, the interface looks like this after clicking on the wrench tool:

Is this a collected video to this gallery? The "Replace Preview" option only shows in its original gallery.

No, it is an "original" gallery with video upload directly into it. I just don't understand the radical difference in the UI between your image and mine.

edited February 12, 2023

I checked a bunch of galleries that contained videos and all looked the same.
    All Smugmug style though.

Even videos collected using keywords did not have the "Replace Preview" only the original uploaded video whereever it is.
    A moved video to anywhere is still the original.
    Collected photos/videos are virtual copies of originals so any changes actually happen to the original and anywhere collected.

• JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

Charlie, you are looking at editing wrench in the Organizer. As you observed, SmugMug did not put the ability to change a preview image there. It's only available in Site view, sometimes in the gallery, always in the Lightbox. In gallery view, only SmugMug style galleries, which Allen uses, put a wrench next to individual images. The replace preview option is available there. If you use some other gallery style -- I mostly use collage landscape on my site -- the only place where you'll find a wrench to edit an individual video's preview is in the Lightbox. But there, you can do it. Someone else will have to speak to the why SmugMug has different editing options in the wrenches that show in Organizer and Site views.

BTW, I've had problems with replaced previews. They work well in thumbnails, but not always on the initial display images when viewing the video in the Lightbox. The replacement is there, but it's damaged. If you manage to replace a preview, I'd be interested to hear whether you see the same thing. (Over a year ago, I wrote SmugMug help. They acknowledged the problem. I've not heard back since, but I haven't been checking all that regularly either. I haven't needed to replace a preview lately.)

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins

One follow-up. In the Organizer, if you double-click a video's thumbnail to enter the Organizer lightbox, the wrench includes the replace preview option. (It may seem obvious that the Organizer lightbox and the Site gallery lightbox should behave the same, but it's not automatic. The two have some modest differences.)

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com