The corridor to oblivion

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2023

Tom....

A very interesting image.

When I first looked at it, immediately (is a surrealistic way) Edvard Munch's "The Scream," (1893) came to mind. Just the way the left and right sides of the image are illuminated and just the placement of the gaping, darkened archway.

One suggestion, you might try a 9" x 9" crop (or whatever size you deem appropriate) to create a square "canvas" for the image vs the traditional image size. This would reduce the amount of dark space to the left, which may be distracting to some but still retain the effectiveness of the corridor. IMHO.

However, that said...leaving the dark space to the left of the corridor as is, creates an excellent space to add an inspirational message or quote and create a sellable "note card" or other marketable stationary product.

Well done.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2023

Thanks, Al, for your thoughtful comments. I greatly value your input

I shot a very similar image of this scene a couple of years ago. In that case, I centered the corridor. In this case....after patiently waiting for a day with strong lighting coming in from the sides through open arches....I made the conscious decision to offset the corridor. By doing so, it seemed to me to further enhance the overall sense of uneasiness and mystery that prevails. My wife says the image proves that I have an off-center personality. Then she admits that she also prefers the non-centered look because it gives her the chance to ponder what all that black space is hiding.

I seldom work with OOF ( out of focus ) elements but it seems very appropriate here.

Well, I have to run now. I'm late for the séance where I'm trying to run down Rod Serling.....I bet his input would be interesting.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Tom I like this a lot! I also thought, like Gato, of "the scream". Great colors too, welcome to the OOF club!

edited February 28, 2023

@Juano said:
    Tom I like this a lot! I also thought, like Gato, of "the scream". Great colors too, welcome to the OOF club!

Thanks, Cristóbal. I've long considered your OOF work to be some of the best in that genre that I ever seen....so I highly value your comments here.

It dawned on me that some folks may not know of Rod Serling. He was the originator and weekly host to the long-running TV hit series " The Twilight Zone ". I still catch reruns of that show when I can.

It may help a viewer of this image to know the direction one proceeds when traversing this corridor. You leave the arched opening at the far end of the corridor, proceed through the band of bright light ( which cleanses the soul of any impurities...as the story goes) and you enter into the black oblivion for all eternity. You're gone.

BTW, Cristóbal, this qualifies as one my walks on the other side of the street.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Most definitely on the other side of the street.

“There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone. “~ Rod Serling

Thanks, Cristóbal, for including the quote from Rod Serling. There's probably quite a few folks who never heard of the Twilight Zone TV program.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Hi Tom...

"It dawned on me that some folks may not know of Rod Serling. He was the originator and weekly host to the long-running TV hit series " The Twilight Zone ". I still catch reruns of that show when I can."

Oh...I think your image might find a home hanging in the "Night Gallery"...Where the same Rod Serling is the curator of a bizarre art gallery in which paintings depict eerie tales.

Post note...Night Gallery, ran for three seasons on NBC, from 1969 to 1973. Catch it in reruns or on YouTube if you can. Some of today's big-name stars and directors made their debut on Rod's programs.

@El Gato said:
    Hi Tom...

"It dawned on me that some folks may not know of Rod Serling. He was the originator and weekly host to the long-running TV hit series " The Twilight Zone ". I still catch reruns of that show when I can."

Oh...I think your image might find a home hanging in the "Night Gallery"...Where the same Rod Serling is the curator of a bizarre art gallery in which paintings depict eerie tales.

Post note...Night Gallery, ran for three seasons on NBC, from 1969 to 1973. Catch it in reruns or on YouTube if you can. Some of today's big-name stars and directors made their debut on Rod's programs.

Hey Al,

I'm half surprised that anyone else remembered " Night Gallery ". There's an artist here in Jax that paints stuff that belongs in that gallery. In spite of being relatively young, he, too, was familiar with that show.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

I finally check back in and this is what I see first! Spooky, but nicely done! Tom, I hope you are doing well.

Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com

Gee, it's sure great to hear from you, Lauren. I've often wondered how you were getting along. I've been doing very well. A few business entanglements have delayed me getting out of Jacksonville yet but I'm back on track now and I hope to be living in Elizabethton, TN, before the end of 2024. My wife and I had purchased property there and had hoped to get a house going before now.. However, some issues with that land arose ( some things that were going to be developed nearby ) and we sold it. We have an option on some other property that became available and which we'll close on this October.

Are you doing any shooting at all? Also, please don't stay under the radar so long. Take care, gal.

• redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins

Tom, I am still considering TN so maybe we'll meet up there yet. Meanwhile, I continue to enjoy our place in Maine. That is about the only place I shoot anymore and not too much up there. I need to get the rest of my life out of the way so I can shoot more! I did sell a picture to Yankee Magazine in 2021 and they bought it again last fall--that was a HUGE surprise and joy!

I'll try to stay in touch and post a few shots soon.

Lauren

"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Creepy!