As all things move on ....

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator

Fifteen years ago, I joined Dgrin after I opened my SmugMug account. Had many fun times here especially on the challenge board. Learned so much from seasoned photographers and was totally honored when I was asked to fill the shoes of moderator for the challenge board. I have been a moderator for over 10 years now. Little did I know how much work it would be to have to learn a little coding and loads of copy and paste in those days to keep the DDS going. With the voting systems and watching for cheaters as well as those who made double accounts for themselves and entered more than one image at a time in a challenge. Each challenge in those days took up hours of time to run to be sure you all had a fun, fair challenge. Not to forget the countless hours of putting out fires from thick- and thin-skinned people. A lot of egos to contend with. Those were the days. As all things move on...so did the Challenges with prizes due to lack of participation as the prizes started to dwindle down from camera equipment to SmugMug bling.

Now we have our mini challenge. Simple at its self-run by those who participated in a previous challenge. Our participation across all of Dgrin has been at a decline for quite a few years. Even though SmugMug has integrated other platforms as part of the family of photographers, participation for the minis has been still declining. It has been suggested that we advertise to get more participation for the minis. While I agree that getting the word out helps, It would have to come from those who want to see the minis continue, to get the word out by inviting other photographers, whether armature or professional, to join and participate. This challenge forum is just a way to have fun with images. To share your passion and hopefully meet new and interesting people. The board has gone through so many different aspects of this, it is up to the participants to do just that, participate.

That said, as my final moderation task, I will say this to @pegelli Pieter, when I told you to make a small announcement on other Dgrin boards that fit the theme, I should have said don't do more than 2 boards. When I did it, I only did one board. Many people visit more than one board. Thus, when you posted one so many multiple boards, you violated the Dgrin Rules found here:

https://dgrin.com/discussion/8985

"Please do not post the same discussion or question more than once. Duplicate posts are frustrating and counterproductive for other members. Duplicate discussions will be deleted or merged."

Thus, Richard in his way, was doing you a favor by not banning you or putting you in a time out. He instead came up with the banner system, which he and I had been in discussion about for the previous weeks. We tried it and the results were not any better than when I posted one announcement on a board that fit the current theme of the mini at that time. 3 people, 2 of them were veteran challenge players that we hadn't seen in a while. One was new to the forum, but they haven't participated since. Point is, people do what they want to do. Thus Pieter, do what you want to do in this mini, but ask yourself, are you doing it for the fun of it or to make some kind of point?

In closing, I am officially retiring from moderating the challenge board. Due to health reasons, I just don't have it in me anymore. The other moderators will have to assign the next moderator. So, its been fun, it's time for me to move on.

Comments

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 12, 2023

@JAG Joyce, I have just returned home from a week's vacation and want to thank you for the ten years you have given us as a moderator. I joined Dgrin in April 2009, and I've appreciated various incarnations of the Dgrin challenges. I think Sean (Sherstone) was the moderator when I first started and you were both good at keeping the challenges interesting and upbeat. I hope the mini-challenges continue but want to take this opportunity to thank you and other moderators for all you do to make Dgrin a helpful community for photographers whether they are beginners, pros or somewhere in between.

• sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins

Joyce, although I understand your decision to step down, I'm really sorry to see you go. I've always appreciated your prompt and friendly assistance. Thank you so much for all of the work you've done over the years on behalf of the minis and the forum.

I hope for all of our sakes that you'll continue to post photos - I always enjoy seeing your images!

• GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins

@JAG Joyce, thank you for the work you did as moderator. I hope you will continue to post pictures.

• pegellipegelli Registered Users Posts: 8,756 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2023

@JAG sorry to see you go and thanks for your hard work as a moderator. Like the others I hope you will continue to post photos here, it's been awfully quiet since your announcement.

Pieter, aka pegelli
    My SmugMug
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins

@JAG - Joyce, you have been an amazing moderator and are an inspired photographer. I completely understand your reasons for retiring and wish you more peace than angst in the future. I know we will continue to communicate through DGRIN and Facebook. Our Snowmeggedon this winter has limited my participation in most things internet lately and I hope to get back into the swing of things once these rains stop.