Options

Amazon to shutdown DPReview

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited March 22, 2023

I met Andy Williams there. I think many of us did, before DGrin was even created. I was "banned" by Phil Askey (owner before Amazon) there when I reported a serial spammer in the forums. Never forgave him for that -- I think I must have had about 8,000 posts at DPR prior. Andy brought me over here to be a moderator and asst. admin. I can hardly believe Amazon is doing this.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,799 moderator

DPReview has a page now, confirming the shutdown.

DPReview.com to close: Digital Photography Review

https://m.dpreview.com/news/5901145460/dpreview-com-to-close

ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options

The handwriting is on the wall. Forums are dying.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn that DPR was not generating the revenue Amazon expected it would and so it goes. What surprised me was that Amazon is absolutely unwilling to sell. Also begs the question "what will happen with IMDb?".

• Options

I suspect that Chris Niccolls and Jordan Drake had already accepted positions with PetaPixel, and when they announced they were leaving DPReview Amazon realized they would lose a great deal of advertising revenue as a result. In other words, Niccolls and Drake brought down DPReview, whether they intended to or not.

ziggy53
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins

I never posted in the forums on DPR but I did find the reviews of camera gear helpful. I do seem remember an influx from DPR as the forum there was poorly moderated and had lots of trolls ? I think everyone used a Sony camera in those days and the canon 20d started the move to dslrs ?

good times :)

• Options

@Seamus said:
    I never posted in the forums on DPR but I did find the reviews of camera gear helpful. I do seem remember an influx from DPR as the forum there was poorly moderated and had lots of trolls ? I think everyone used a Sony camera in those days and the canon 20d started the move to dslrs ?

good times :)

I'd call it a lot of overly confident "experts".... :smiley:

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited March 24, 2023

Agree on the forums there. They went to heck pretty quickly just before Askey left. And then stayed that way.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options

I guess you can add SportsShooter to the list of shuttered photography sites. March 15th was the last day.

• Options
    edited March 25, 2023

Went to Imaging Resources and found the following article:

DPReview: Some personal thoughts on a sad day…

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2023/03/21/dpr-a-sad-day-personal-thoughts

=====================================

In the Comments for the above article, and from one of their Users:

Reclusive Eagle
    18 hours ago edited

"Some good news, DPReview is being archived by the archive team, I am also working, and have been working for the past 2 days to download all the chart images from the DPReview Studio. I am downloading everything, day and low light for both RAW and JPEG, ISO-invariance, and exposure latitude tests.

These charts are an invaluable resource to the entire photography community and can’t be lost. They will be uploaded to GitHub as both a Lightroom Catalog and ZIP file. They will also be uploaded to the internet archive at some point. Link will be in the Reddit post once I’ve completed the Studio download."

ziggy53
  • Options
    sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,830 Major grins

Even though I never posted on the forums I checked in quite frequently and read reviews, etc. I will miss the site.

• Options
    edited June 22, 2023

In case anyone missed it, DPReview has been acquired by "Gear Patrol", and all of the prior editorial staff appear to be retained.
    [Chris Niccolls and Jordan Drake had, of course, previously left the editorial staff.]
    I believe Scott Everett deserves most of the credit for negotiating this acquisition.

DPReview.com looks forward to a new chapter with Gear Patrol

Jun 20, 2023
    https://m.dpreview.com/site-news/8298318614/dpreview-com-looks-forward-to-a-new-chapter-with-gear-patrol

ziggy53