Options

Jekyll Island Treats

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited February 19, 2023 in Other Cool Shots

A quick run up to Jekyll Island, Ga. is always productive.

1 )

2 )

3 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins

Nice silvery tones. It is hard to strike a good balance I feel 1 and 3 are somewhat over exposed. 2 has a nicer tone to the sky but looses spark on the tree. If it were mine I-d use a brush to bring the highlights on the tree up.

• Options

Thanks, Cristóbal. I appreciate your thoughtful comments. I made a few minor adjustments. Bright sunlight in a white sandy environment can be tricky. My problem with #2 is that the strong light was coming from the other side of the tree. Having to mitigate the dark side to get more "pop " on the tree required more effort than I wanted to make at the time. I agree with you, though.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Nice series Tom! Is horizon okay? I am not sure.

• Options
    edited February 21, 2023

@Stumblebum said:
    Nice series Tom! Is horizon okay? I am not sure.

Thanks, Taz. I believe the horizon in each shot is OK....at least my horizon-measuring program says they are. When you can see land above a distant water-level horizon, like in the first shot, it gets a little tricky as to where you place the markers to make a determination.

• Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Nice series!

Obviously speaks to my passion for B&W imaging. You did a fine job with this set.

Cristóbal, makes some good suggestions, keen eye.

Overall though...well done!

• Options

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

Nice series!

Obviously speaks to my passion for B&W imaging. You did a fine job with this set.

Cristóbal, makes some good suggestions, keen eye.

Overall though...well done!

Thanks, Al. These kind of scenes just lend themselves to the B&W treatment.

• Options

I've been pondering Cristóbal's comments about shots #1 and #3 being slightly overexposed. Obviously, tastes can vary on that point....what's good for the goose may not be good for the gander. But beyond that consideration, The angle at which you view your screen can effect your perception of under or over exposure to an image more than you probably expect. Pull up a B&W image on your screen. Change you angle of view to one that's a little flatter ( screen tilted away from yourself slightly ) and one that's a little steeper......you'll see your perception of exposure in the selected image change somewhat. I happen to work with the screen tilted slightly away from me.

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Nice set Tom! I like the B&W conversion. I had forgot about this area. We'll be traveling through the SE and north all the way to Vermont on our epic roadtrip. I now have to adjust our schedule to be able. To spend a day or so in this area.

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options

@roaddog52 said:
    Nice set Tom! I like the B&W conversion. I had forgot about this area. We'll be traveling through the SE and north all the way to Vermont on our epic roadtrip. I now have to adjust our schedule to be able. To spend a day or so in this area.

Thanks, Phil. Both Jekyll Island and Saint Simons Island have some beach areas that are loaded with scenes like this. Your grand road trip sounds great. A couple of years ago, I spent two weeks covering Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. Loved every minute of it.

• Options
    spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

Ive always liked spooky looking trees, these are top notch.

• Options

@spanky117ab said:
    Ive always liked spooky looking trees, these are top notch.

Thanks, Mike. There's about a mile and a half of beach scenes just like this on Jekyll Island. People see this stuff and comment that they could get some really cool drift wood there. The local cops up there, however, will fine you bigtime if they catch you hauling any of it away. I've heard of one guy who had put a whole lot of it in his truck.....got zapped with a $500 fine.