Common Redpoll

spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

This encounter was the first and so far only time I have ever seen these birds. This is the male of the species.

Regards.....Mike

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 11, 2023

That's a beautiful small bird, Mike. Very well captured, as well. How far away from you were they when you were doing the shooting?

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

@black mamba said:
    That's a beautiful small bird, Mike. Very well captured, as well. How far away from you were they when you were doing the shooting?

I can't remember exactly but probably around 20 feet.

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Mike, thanks for posting the Redpoll images. We need more bird photography here in the forum!

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Your activities, Mike, have got me interested in maybe trying some bird shooting. I've got a birdhouse out behind my home that attracts quite a variety of birds, Predominantly, they are Woodpeckers ( great big redheaded one ), Cardinals, a host of smaller Wrens and some varieties that I don't know. The most beautiful birds I ever seen are a constant visitor....the Painted Bunting male. And these days I have a year-round assortment of Humming Birds that visit their feeders that hang about two feet from my back veranda. I'd love to have the situation you have where you can shoot them in a more natural setting. If they are not on the feeder, they disappear into some heavy growth I can't even pernitrate. I may work with the limitations I have and see what happens. Thanks for sparking my interest.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

@David_S85 said:
    Mike, thanks for posting the Redpoll images. We need more bird photography here in the forum!

Glad you enjoyed the David.

@black mamba said:
    Your activities, Mike, have got me interested in maybe trying some bird shooting. I've got a birdhouse out behind my home that attracts quite a variety of birds, Predominantly, they are Woodpeckers ( great big redheaded one ), Cardinals, a host of smaller Wrens and some varieties that I don't know. The most beautiful birds I ever seen are a constant visitor....the Painted Bunting male. And these days I have a year-round assortment of Humming Birds that visit their feeders that hang about two feet from my back veranda. I'd love to have the situation you have where you can shoot them in a more natural setting. If they are not on the feeder, they disappear into some heavy growth I can't even pernitrate. I may work with the limitations I have and see what happens. Thanks for sparking my interest.

I have a bird feeder set up at the end of the hedge about 3 feet away from it so the birds sit at the end of the hedge and wait for their turn at the feeder. I enjoy photographing birds and in doing so I have forced myself to learn about the species I capture, same thing about macro photography. I cant always leave my property so having birds and insects as well as critters coming around keeps my photography hobby alive and well. I also have other hobbies and sometimes combine them with photography for a win win situation. I think you will enjoy bird photography, its can be very relaxing and birds are everywhere if you just look for them.

• TonyBrittonTonyBritton Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins

Wonderful set. I've never seen bird before. Beautiful!

Tony

"My wife and I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"
    https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/