A Ride For Royalty

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

This stunner is a 1935 Duesenberg SJN Cabriolet Convertible. Duesenberg made only 4 of these cars. The first was sold to the reigning Hollywood king.....Clark Gable. The car you see here was the third one produced and the only one of the 4 to have a factory installed supercharger. When I saw this car, it had only about 16,000 miles on it which makes it the lowest original millage Duesenberg car in existence.

1 )

2 )

3 )

4 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins

Love it!

I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

Thanks, my friend. Have you started your big road trip yet? If so, where are you now?

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

Lovely! Class!

edited April 15, 2023

@Stumblebum said:
    Lovely! Class!

Thanks, Taz. The early morning sun was just starting to flex it's muscle. It lit up that stark white car like a blowtorch. Damn near blind you. I included that last shot as some sort of social comment. Folks must have been into popping hubcaps even way back then....note the lock in the center of the hubcap on this beauty.

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins

@black mamba said:

@Stumblebum said:
    Lovely! Class!

Thanks, Taz. The early morning sun was just starting to flex it's muscle It lit up that stark white car like a blowtorch. Damn near blind you. I included that last shot as some sort of social comment. Folks must have been into popping hubcaps even way back then....note the lock in the center of the hubcap on this beauty.

It did make me think of angels and stuff when I saw it.....it has that kind of feel

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

A beauty and a classic!

Lovely set!

@El Gato said:
    A beauty and a classic!

Lovely set!

Thanks, buddy. As noted in my posting, Clark Gable received the first of the 4 Duesenberg's like this that were made. But he didn't buy it. It was a gift to him by his wife Carole Lombard ....a noted actress. When she was killed in a plane crash while out promoting war bonds, it devastated Gable, as one would imagine. Gable decreed that the car was never to be seen in the U.S. again while he was alive. It was sent to Canada and stayed there until Gable passed away. I've taken quite a number of pictures of Gable's car when I would see it at car shows. One of my shots was published in a book devoted to Gable's life.

• JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins

Hi Tom I just realized I had commented on this but it never posted. Thank you for the “reminder”, indeed great car and incredible story ! Can you imagine driving one of those? Amazing.

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Thanks, buddy. As noted in my posting, Clark Gable received the first of the 4 Duesenberg's like this that were made. But he didn't buy it. It was a gift to him by his wife Carole Lombard ....a noted actress. When she was killed in a plane crash while out promoting war bonds, it devastated Gable, as one would imagine. Gable decreed that the car was never to be seen in the U.S. again while he was alive. It was sent to Canada and stayed there until Gable passed away. I've taken quite a number of pictures of Gable's car when I would see it at car shows. One of my shots was published in a book devoted to Gable's life.

Tom,

Your back stories ALWAYS add value and are MUCH appreciated.

Thank you for providing such interesting information.

Information, which I believe always makes an image more personal and approachable.

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

The only thing I dont like about the styling of this great auto is the 4 door hinges down the side, it kinda takes it away a little bit for me but the my wife always said I was too fussy. Great looking car otherwise.

Great minds must think alike, Mike. I've always thought like a better solution might have been available. But, maybe not.