New camera new learning curve!

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins

Hi all, trying tests on my lovely new Canon R8 with the Canon RF 100-400 lens. I surprise gift from my son!! Making lots of mistakes but gradually gaining control (a bit). Long way to go yet but here are a couple of my "test" pictures. Comments welcome as I need to grow in this area.

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator

Hey, Lynnie! Test pictures? That second shot looks like a wall hanger. Very nice. Glad you have the new toy, and hopefully it is less heavy for you. As I get "up there" I'm finding that walking around with the 5D3 and a big white lens is taxing my repetitive strain problems more and more. Looking forward to more pics like these from you.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins

Thanks David for your kind words.. you should see the others... really really bad. I can't speak highly enough of this camera and lens so far. Unbelievably light weight. I had almost stopped using my 5dsr and 300 lens it was so heavy. Just to show off the lens, below is a snapshot of a bobcat that was a fair ways away from our house. Took it through a dirty window WHICH also was covered in bird netting and bits of sparkly stuff to keep the birds from hitting it. It was also dusk!! I rushed and snapped it never thinking it could ever come out. It's definitely no "wall hanger" as you would say but it shows off the capabilities of the camera and lens.

Just to add.. It was pretty noisy so I ran it through Camera Raw Denoise which I've also never used before.. I'm impressed with that also!! I was going to purchase more software but I'm shooting raw so I can take advantage of the Denoise. Also love the auto focus on the camera and the "Raw Burst" function. Captures preshooting images and buffers them into one Cr3 file. Amazing technology. I have tons of blurred birds leaving posts but eventually I'll get one surely....
    I have to change my profile picture.. that was about 25 years ago :#

• spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

Very nice photos and great job with the new gear.

Thanks Spanky.. such a lot to learn, and sooo much fun learning it. Most of my attempts are going in the trash but every now and then I see a bit of improvement so that keeps me creeping about in the bushes...

Married couple..

• TonyBrittonTonyBritton Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins

Hi lynnma,

These are wonderful images. The first two photos are especially well done. Seems like a great camera & lens combo that will bring great enjoyment for years to come!

Best,
    Tony

"My wife and I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"
    https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/

Hi Tony, thankyou for kind words.. Getting used to my new camera and loving it. There was an Eagle flying overhead yesterday and the auto focus tracked it all over the sky, amazing, it was way way up and it even caught the catch light in his eye..It's definitely not a keeper but just to see what this amazing camera can do, AND I cropped the heck out of it..I could only just see it was an Eagle with the naked eye.. I'm looking forward to getting better.. :)

Humble Robin, always willing to pose for a student of birds photography....

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator

Congrats on the new camera!

I switched to mirrorless years ago and I have been very happy with the smaller camera. It sounds like you are enjoying it, awesome!

Thanks Denise I'm loving it so far. :D

• TonyBrittonTonyBritton Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins

Excellent shots. The lighting is wonderful in the first shot and the amount of detail in the eagle photo is fantastic!

Best,
    Tony

"My wife and I make the perfect point-and-shoot photography team. She points and I shoot!"
    https://tonybritton.smugmug.com/

My dear son says he likes my robin (yeay!!) but, him thought the crop was too tight. I redid it with a wider crop, is it better? or worse..comments good and negative welcome.

trying for composition

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited May 30, 2023

Hi Lynn, great set of images. The R8 seems to be really performing for you. I am a fellow RF shooter - and have loved chasing small birds with them, too. I like to think that Harry would be pleased to see all the new bird images here on his old thread. We are all learning to see better and better. .

Here's a male house finch of mine after a drink in a fountain caught with my R3 and an RF 100-500

And here's a closeup of a blue jay with an R7 and an RF 100-400

And a female cardinal with an R3 and the RF 100-500

I love your robin in the evergreen - I think it makes me realize, maybe, I need to zoom back out a bit more than I typically do.

Welcome home again!

Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Hi Pathfinder dear! great to see you again. I love your set. Beautiful! I'm doing a ton of tutorials specially Simon D'Antremont. HIs comments about "bird on a stick" stuck with me, I'm trying to get more composition hence the robin in the tree. Love the cardinal with the leaves.. I've never really done birds before, mostly landscapes and stuff, new field for me and I'm loving it. Plan on Florida this winter so should be tons of birds to photograph.