Options

Cart Problem with Older IE Version?

Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited December 16, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I've got a customer who is using Internet Explorer (IE) 5.0 and is having problems trying to order prints. Everytime they click on either the Buy "this photo" or the "multiple", the Smugmug cart won't open.

Other people are able to purchase okay, so I'm wondering if this might be a conflict with this older version of IE. They aren't wanting to upgrade just to make a purchase, which I understand and I'm not certain this will fix it anyway. I know that IE 5.5 & 6.0 work okay.

Has anyone run into this or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Fred

Comments

• Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Techman1 wrote:
    I've got a customer who is using Internet Explorer (IE) 5.0 and is having problems trying to order prints. Everytime they click on either the Buy "this photo" or the "multiple", the Smugmug cart won't open.

Other people are able to purchase okay, so I'm wondering if this might be a conflict with this older version of IE. They aren't wanting to upgrade just to make a purchase, which I understand and I'm not certain this will fix it anyway. I know that IE 5.5 & 6.0 work okay.

Has anyone run into this or have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Fred
    I remember a note from smugmug somewhere that they had dropped official support for IE5.x all together... Your customer may be out of luck or (s)he needs to upgrade (to IE6; or FireFox).
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    Onethumb's SmugBlog

I hope this helps,
  • Options
    Techman1Techman1 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    FlyingDutchie & Andy,

Thank you both! I guess, I'll have to advise them that their browser needs upgrading or I'll have to order the prints for them myself.

At least I'm fairly sure this is the problem and based upon the dropping of support for IE 5.x, this is my only options to help them.

Thanks again.

Fred
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 16, 2005
    IE5; perhaps these settings
    IE5 might be totally dead for Smugmug, and you'll probably have to upgrade. But in the mean time you might want to try these settings and see if they work.

In IE5 > Tools > Internet Options

Click the Security Tab. Change to Internet Level at the top. Then click the Custom Level button below.

The following radio buttons should be ticked:
    "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" to Enable
    "Run ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting" to Enable

Also... Enable both Cookies settings if they aren't already.

DO remember to change your settings back to whatever they were before.

This worked for me in IE5.5. Possibly, it might also work on your IE5.0 (but I'm not sure it will -- but worth a try, right?)
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky