Interesting airplanes

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited May 19, 2023 in Other Cool Shots

Some of these things are quite unusual. Some you couldn't pay me to go up in.

1 )

2 )

3 )

4 )

There aren't many of these still flying. However, it saw action all over the globe in WWII. It is affectionally known at the " Bamboo Bomber " as its fuselage is made of wood.

5 )

6 )

Here's one you rarely see....even at big-time air shows It's an experimental vertical launch plane made for the U.S. Air Force. The Lockheed XFV-1. It was a flop.

7 )

8 )

Here's a beautifully restored P-40. These planes also saw action all around the world in WW II early in the conflict. Greg "Pappy " Boyington ....of the ""Black Sheep Squadron " fame flying for the Marines in the Pacific theatre....flew one of these in China for the Flying Tigers before we officially got in the war.

9 )

10 )

This one will fool you. It's not a real P-51 Mustang. It's a 3/4 size kit plane with a big honking Chevy V8. Its top speed is about the same as a real P-51.

11 )

12 )

This a real P-51 that I been been fortunate enough to go up in. Belongs to a guy here in Jax.

13 )

14 )

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins

Tom...

Thanks for both some excellent shots and the history lesson.

Your posts always bring value-add to the images you share. Thanks!

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins

@El Gato said:
    Tom...

Thanks for both some excellent shots and the history lesson.

Your posts always bring value-add to the images you share. Thanks!

It is really easy, Al, to share stuff when you are passionate about it.

I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • spanky117abspanky117ab Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins

What an awesome collection of unique airplanes Tom, nicely done.

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited May 30, 2023

@spanky117ab said:
    What an awesome collection of unique airplanes Tom, nicely done.

Thanks, Mike. These planes were all shot at the " Sun N" Fun " fly-in and air show in Lakeland FL, one of the best in the country. It goes on for a whole week. If you go into all the booths and such, it takes two whole days to see it all.