Options

An internal error has occurred: assertion failed!

AntoineAntoine Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited December 23, 2023 in SmugMug Support
On some but not all galleries above error message appears when I try updating from LRC on my Macos system. And I can not update the gallery. The name of the gallery appears on Smugmug but none of the photo's.

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,239 moderator

While SmugMug staff check in here occasionally you will get a faster response by contacting them directly.

https://www.smugmughelp.com/hc/en-us/articles/18212445326996-Contact-a-SmugMug-Support-Hero#

• Options
    JtringJtring Registered Users Posts: 673 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2023

I had that bug or at least something similar. It happened to me when publishing a gallery containing a video. I was using the SmugMug plugin with Lightroom Classic 13.1, the latest version that just came out a few days ago. Remove the video and all is fine. I talked to the help desk. Turns out this is a Lightroom bug. It's been discussed a little bit on Lightroom Queen and on the Adobe Community Forums. You can roll back to Lightroom Classic 13.0.2 (but it has its own bugs) or wait for Adobe to fix things. In the mean time, the work-around is to only use the Lightroom plugin to publish still photos and directly upload any videos using the browser interface. You can then sync your gallery in the Lightroom plug-in. If the problem involves posting a gallery that's all stills, no videos, then it's probably something else.

Jim Ringland . . . . . jtringl.smugmug.com
  • Options
    camnercamner Registered Users Posts: 109 Major grins

While syncing manually uploaded videos back to the gallery using the SmugMug Lightroom plug-in will work in that it will get the videos into the Publish Collection in Lightroom, if I am not mistaken, it will make it impossible to modify any of the gallery photos in Lightroom and be able to publish those changes to SmugMug.

• Options

Give it a try. I was able to successfully modify a gallery photo (I tried changing a clarity value by 1) in the gallery where I had to use the work-around. The gallery in question was https://jtringl.smugmug.com/Browser/2023/Christmas-Caroling-with-the-Dominicans

• Options

And just to note, I'm still on LrC 13.1.

• Options
    edited January 16, 2024

@Jtring Right you are! BUT, if you make a change to one of the videos, you synced from SmugMug (say by changing metadata), you will not be able to sync that publish collection again, because the presence of a modified video generates the same "Assertion failed!" error message.

• Options

I think what you are saying is that you can't edit a video caption, title, or keywords in LrC and re-publish because of the 13.1 bug. That's certainly true. If you edit these using the SmugMug editor, re-syncing photos with the plug-in does not even try to sync metadata (... unless you have enabled the old, and now mostly-abandoned, Smugmug plugin beta feature that attempts metadata syncing. It's apparently still there, but I haven't tried it recently.)

Let me take this opportunity to call out a very useful third-party plug-in, Smug Syncback. it allow you to bring some caption, title, and keyword metadata edits on the SM side down into LrC. it works for videos, even with the Lightroom bug, thus providing a workaround for managing some metadata. Smug Syncback is available at http://www.markuskvist.se/LightroomPlugins/SmugSyncback. It's been mentioned here on Dgrin in the distant past. See, for instance, https://dgrin.com/discussion/264829 and https://dgrin.com/discussion/comment/2088214. That last also discusses the SmugMug plugin's abandoned(?) metadata syncing feature. For some reason, Smug Syncback no longer shows on the SmugMug help page that talks about third-party utilities.

• Options

@Jtring You obviously have dug into this a lot more than I have, and I appreciate the detailed info. The reason I wrote what I did is that casual users might not understand that by uploading videos directly to SM, and then using the SM plugin sync facility to get those videos into an LR published collection, they will be unable to publish any additional images in that publsh collection if they make any metadata edits to the videos they've pulled down from SM to LR.

• Options
    mjremijanmjremijan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    > @Jtring said:
    > I had that bug or at least something similar. It happened to me when publishing a gallery containing a video. I was using the SmugMug plugin with Lightroom Classic 13.1, the latest version that just came out a few days ago. Remove the video and all is fine. I talked to the help desk. Turns out this is a Lightroom bug. It's been discussed a little bit on Lightroom Queen and on the Adobe Community Forums. You can roll back to Lightroom Classic 13.0.2 (but it has its own bugs) or wait for Adobe to fix things. In the mean time, the work-around is to only use the Lightroom plugin to publish still photos and directly upload any videos using the browser interface. You can then sync your gallery in the Lightroom plug-in. If the problem involves posting a gallery that's all stills, no videos, then it's probably something else.

I see that Lightroom 13.2 is now available. By any chance do you know if the bug was fixed and I can upgrade from 13.0.2?
  • Options

I do know, and the answer is "sort of." There is no longer an automatic error every time there is a video in a publish collection, BUT, if you use a post-process action with a publish service and that post-process action is "inserted" (that is, it is actively used), then LR still throws an error. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-publishing-a-video-fails-in-version-13-2-if-a-post-process-action-is-present-amp-inserted/idi-p/14444671 for a more detailed explanation

• Options
    mjremijanmjremijan Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    > @camner said:
    > I do know, and the answer is "sort of." There is no longer an automatic error every time there is a video in a publish collection, BUT, if you use a post-process action with a publish service and that post-process action is "inserted" (that is, it is actively used), then LR still throws an error. See https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-publishing-a-video-fails-in-version-13-2-if-a-post-process-action-is-present-amp-inserted/idi-p/14444671 for a more detailed explanation

I'm not sure what a "post-process action with a publish service" is so I'm guessing I don't use this feature? I simply have the videos in Lightroom and want to upload them to Smugmug. I don't do any kind of editing of the videos in Lightroom. With that being said, it seems like it might be safe for me to update to 13.2.
  • Options

If you look at the screenshot below, you will see on the lower left a box with the light grey words "Post-Process Actions:" and you can see that I have a post-process action installed. If this box is empty for you, I don't think you will have any problems upgrading to 13.2

• Options

@mjremijan said: ...it seems like it might be safe for me to update to 13.2

I'm doing fine with 13.2 using Smugmug's own plugin. I've not used Jeffrey Friedl tools. -- Jim Ringland

• Options

I'm using SmugMug's own plugin as well. I AM, however, using a Post-Process Action with the SM plugin, and that's what's causing the problem.