Options

Mini Challenge #368: TREES

shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
edited April 18, 2024 in The Dgrin Challenges

Trees have been a topic in the past but the discussion may be due for another round of Challenge.
Any trees will do. Tall, Short, Fat, Skinny, and in my case Prickly. The main subject should be "The Tree"

If anyone does't know the un-official rules, here's a link to read before entering.

This mini will run until Monday, May 13 at 12 Noon PDT.

Here are a few examples:

Most of the trees in my region kinda look like this

A Morning Cloud Chilopsis tree under a cloud of stars in Idaho

A Manzanita tree in Sedona, Arizona

An old Twisted Juniper in Canyonlands, Utah

And one just for fun. (not a good example) Petrified Tree, chopped up and ready to haul away. Petrified forest Arizona

I look forward to seeing your images

Comments

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2024

Cool topic for a mini!

1. Tree at Capital Reef National Park, Utah. (2016)

https://psphotos.smugmug.com/Travel/Utah-Road-Trip-2016/n-vwqZDP/i-zbDTszd/A

1. Don't forget to look up. Sitka National Historical Park, Totem Trail (2024)

https://psphotos.smugmug.com/Travel/Sitka-Alaska-Trip-2024/i-tPBts6S/A

1. Alone in a Sea of Blue - the lonely tree (actually one larger one and two smaller ones) sit on top of a hill in a sea of bluebonnets. Muleshoe Bend State Park, Spicewood, Texas (2024)

I have a couple of different tree photos that I thought about, but I found these first. :)

Sherry Pollett

ps: I don't know why these images posted with the perspective off. The first two images should be in portrait orientation, but they posted as landscape. That's never happened before. I'll try to fix it. ETA--I tried a couple of things, but I can't seem to get it to work. Anyone have any ideas? I finally just added the links to the photos. If you want to see it correctly, you'll have to click it. Sorry about that. If I figure out how to fix it, I will.

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,242 moderator
    edited April 18, 2024

@slpollett said:
    ps: I don't know why these images posted with the perspective off. The first two images should be in portrait orientation, but they posted as landscape. That's never happened before. I'll try to fix it. ETA--I tried a couple of things, but I can't seem to get it to work. Anyone have any ideas? I finally just added the links to the photos. If you want to see it correctly, you'll have to click it. Sorry about that. If I figure out how to fix it, I will.

It's not you. The problem has been reported to the forum software vendor.
    https://dgrin.com/discussion/269529/stretched-phots-in-one-direction#latest

• Options

I was having the same issues when posting my images.

• Options
    slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,194 Major grins

@denisegoldberg Thanks for the info. It looks perfect on my phone, but not on the computer. Hopefully, the IT folks can fix that before too long. :)

Sherry P.

• Options
    SmithySmithy Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins

Ohh, one of my favorite subjects. Hard to pick my favorites, I have 2 or 3 others I'd love to share... but I think these are my best.

1: Oregon Coast Shore Pines at sunset:

2: Wheaton Regional Park, Maryland:

3: Southern California Palms at sunset:

Fuji X-S10
    Fujifilm Finepix S100fs

and my other hobby... tidewaterforge.com
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,947 Major grins
    edited April 22, 2024

I love to take photos of silhouettes of trees in the winter without leaves when you can see their structure. But I haven't found any that I haven't used already. So I'm giving you this old one. - digitized slide

1. Jeffrey Pine in Yosemite c 1965 with my two children (digitized slide)

This tree died in the severe drought of 1976-77, although people attempted to save it by bringing buckets of water to it.

1. Tanzania , Africa

2. Dominican Republic

“"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,034 Major grins

1) Lewiston, Idaho - finding beautiful Dogwood trees.

2) A once beautiful, but lonely tree - Newcastle, Ca (Mandarin farm area)

3) Pending Storm in lower foothills of Sierra Nevada Mtn Range - Pilot Hill, Ca.

• Options

I'm starting to feel like we are beginning to build a forest of trees, but still need more trees...
    Great looking start to this challenge.

• Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,945 moderator
    edited April 30, 2024

Great theme for a mini! Just back from vacation but will try to share some photos in a bit.

• Options
    kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Major grins

Ooh, nice idea ....I'm loving the images of all the trees!
    Here are mine:

Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 740 Major grins

1) Big Island tree at sunset

It's a small tree, but the location is perfect.

2) Colorful trees on the shore

Edith J. Carrier Arboretum, JMU, Harrisonburg VA

3) Boardwalk Trail through the trees

In Congaree National Park, trees rule... except where/when water rules. I guess they have an uneasy alliance. In the words of the National Park Service, CNP is "the largest intact expanse of old growth bottomland hardwood forest remaining in the southeastern United States. Waters from the Congaree and Wateree Rivers sweep through the floodplain, carrying nutrients and sediments that nourish and rejuvenate this ecosystem and support the growth of national and state champion trees." I couldn't say it better, and so didn't try.

~~Barbara