Options

Canon Officially Announces the EOS R1

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator

Canon Global has officially announced the EOS R1, professional mirrorless camera, with a built-in vertical grip and a new internal image processing chip, the "DIGIC Accelerator", which accelerates the image processing pipeline, including acceleration of Autofocus functions and adds improved Predictive Autofocus. A new, faster readout imaging chip, feeds the Imaging Pipeline.

It's basically a very, very improved EOS R3!

ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Options
    edited May 15, 2024

From the Canon Global link:

Canon develops EOS R1 as first flagship model for EOS R SYSTEM

May 15, 2024
    https://global.canon/en/news/2024/20240515.html

New image processing system further improves AF and image quality

"Canon Inc. announced today that it is currently developing the EOS R1, a full-frame mirrorless camera, as the first flagship model for the EOS R SYSTEM equipped with an RF mount and is aiming for a 2024 release."

"The EOS R1 is a mirrorless camera geared toward professionals that brings together Canon’s cutting-edge technology and combines top-class performance with the strong durability and high reliability sought in a flagship model. This camera will dramatically improve (compared to the EOS R3) the performance of both still images and video and meet the high requirements of professionals on the frontlines of a wide range of fields including sports, news reporting, and video production.

This camera employs the newly developed image processor DIGIC Accelerator in addition to the pre-existing processor DIGIC X. The new image processing system, composed of these processors and a new CMOS sensor, enables large volume of data to be processed at high speeds and delivers never-before-seen advancements in Auto Focus (AF) and other functions.

By combining the new image processing system and deep learning technology to an advanced degree, Canon has achieved high-speed and high-accuracy subject recognition. For example, subject tracking accuracy has been improved so that in team sporting events where multiple subjects intersect, the target subject can continually be tracked even if another player passes directly in front of them. In addition, the AF “Action Priority” function recognizes subject movement by rapidly analyzing the subject’s status. In moments during a sports game when it is difficult to predict what will happen next, this function automatically determines the player performing a certain action, such as shooting a ball, as the main subject and instantly shifts the AF frame, thereby helping to capture decisive moments of gameplay.

The combination of the new image processing system and deep learning technology will help to improve image quality. Canon implements the image noise reduction function, which has been previously developed and improved as part of the software for PCs, as a camera function to further improve image quality and contribute to user creativity."

ziggy53
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator

No specs yet? What the heck?

• Options

Canon EOS R1: IT'S OFFICIAL! What we know right now... - Gordon Laing

https://youtu.be/hU5tu0_ePHM

ziggy53
  • Options

@kdog said:
    No specs yet? What the heck?

Traditionally, Canon tended to delay new professional camera announcements until just just a couple months before production began.

All that changed with the Canon EOS 1D-X Mark III D-SLR, announced October 2019, well in advance of even pre-production. Ultimately, of course, we got the full specifications around January 2, 2020.

Figuring a similar timeline for the EOS R1, that puts official specifications announcement around middle August 2024.

In the meantime, expect all sorts of speculation, angst and outright BS. That's human nature.

For my own, pure speculation/guess (with absolutely no Canon affiliation whatsoever):

I do wonder if maybe we'll see a a fully Stacked, BSI (Back Side Illuminated) sensor, with an exceptionally high data rate readout, but probably not a "Global Shutter".

I suspect at least 24 megapixels or possibly a modest increase to not more than 32 megapixels, to give it some differentiation between the EOS R3. It will have a deep shot buffer with very fast transfer to dual CFexpress Type B card slots, and possibly an additional superfast USB-C output to allow external SSD drive transfer as well.

I do think that Canon is working on a "Quad Pixel" technology sensor, which will have pretty amazing capabilities, but probably not ready yet for the EOS R1 this round. Maybe an R1-S model in the future? (BS alert for this speculation, but it's fun to dream.🙄)

Build quality for the R1 will be stellar, like all Canon "1" series bodies, so expect fully-sealed and heavy water-shed capabilities, along with excellent high and low temperature performance. Lots of magnesium for the body frame, so relatively heavy body overall.

Probably use the same battery as the R3, the LP-E19, but maybe additional power options as well.

ziggy53
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator

...waiting for the juicy specs....

I will wait a couple more years to get my R1 at the Canon Refurb Store for a couple thousand off, like I usually do. In the mean time my 5D3 is still cooking some good images.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2024

Was not going to post this, partly because the 'specifications' sound suspiciously like one of the rumor site postings and may simply have been a "placeholder" page, with the Canon Official Specifications pasted in when public.

So, with the caveat that these may not be actual specifications for the EOS R1 ... :

CANON R1 SPECS LEAKED!! Sorry, Sony :( - Tony-Chelsea Northrup

https://youtu.be/esV7_T6gkBo

ziggy53
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator

^ FYI: Jared Polin doesn't believe the rumored specs.

My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky