New Dgrin Stuff

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 18, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
Navbar:
  • FAQ now includes link to Dgrin Usage Tips Thread
  • Gallery - this is Dgrin on SmugMug!

Message Creation:
vBulletin wrote:
The new editor is in some ways far simpler than the old one, in that it uses exactly the same HTML for both WYSIWYG and Standard modes, and yet it harbours far more power.

Your window resize choices (using the and controls) are now remembered, and WYSIWYG-compatible browsers can now switch live between WYSIWYG and Standard modes using AJAX, interpretting all formatting correctly while switching without refreshing the page.

Standard mode support is also improved by retaining selection choices after formatting. Previously if you selected a word and wrapped it in tags, you would have had to select the word again before applying further formatting. With the new editor you can select the word and bash out with the formatting buttons and never have to do any re-selecting of text.

Standard mode also now benefits from a new undo/redo system (for those who can't manage ctrl+z, ctrl+shift+z), and the ability to remove formatting in the same way as the WYSIWYG editor can by selecting some text and hitting the remove formatting button.

Also new for standard mode is the new list editor, designed to work as much like WYSIWYG mode as possible. In IE6, Mozilla, Camino or Opera 8 you can simply select paragraphs of text and hit one of the list buttons to generate a list.

Finally (for this announcement) we have implemented spell checking for Internet Explorer via ieSpell. Support for other browsers will be implemented as soon as tools with sufficient web-integration systems become available. (Nudge nudge to SpellBound developers).

RSS Feed Support

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Thanks for this helpful message. I never knew about undo in the old standard editor and missed it.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 18, 2005
    I was psyched about the Gallery and especially FAQ links as soon as I saw them. Very useful. nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    There are more new features & benefits to be added.

Stay tuned for a new Google site search featurette, when you search in Google with site:www.dgrin.com you'll only get the actual threads, not the archived listing of the same threads. Coolness.

And more.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    You might have noticed, I'm trying to personalize our forum a little more. Also, we're making it more n00b-friendly. Like putting the Dgrin Tips link in the FAQ. And also, when someone comes to Dgrin, maybe from a Google search, and they're not a member, they'll now see the below, just underneath the navbar. The hyperlink for "Lurk" takes them to the "De-Lurking" thread mwink.gif and the "Register" hyperlink, well - it encourages them to register.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    My biggest gripe about the search is it pulls up a bunch of threads. Some of these threads have many pages and your search terms are buried in there somewhere. I would like to see only the dividual messages that contain the search terms. Have I missed a toggle somewhere?
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    My biggest gripe about the search is it pulls up a bunch of threads. Some of these threads have many pages and your search terms are buried in there somewhere. I would like to see only the dividual messages that contain the search terms. Have I missed a toggle somewhere?
    AL

Al, have you tried the Dgrin "advanced search?" Also, try Google site search!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Advance search never seemed to be any help but I just tried google
    and see exactly what I'm looking for ... I think ... a few of the
    search results do show the individual message.

word1 word2 site:www.dgrin.com
    Thanks Andy,
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    Advance search never seemed to be any help but I just tried google
    and see exactly what I'm looking for ... I think ... a few of the
    search results do show the individual message.

word1 word2 site:www.dgrin.com
    Thanks Andy,
    AL

Allan, happy to help!