Options

Windows System Info

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited December 18, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
Wanna know what is actually under the hood of your PC - without opening the box or unplugging all the cables?
Run "winmsd" command, and you'll be rewarded...

HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Wanna know what is actually under the hood of your PC - without opening the box or unplugging all the cables?

HTH

headscratch.gif

:hide
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    nik, i'm sure you didn't mean to put this thread in the hall of wisdom - i moved it.
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    I was not sure
    andy wrote:
    nik, i'm sure you didn't mean to put this thread in the hall of wisdom - i moved it.
    where to put it at all, but I thought it's a darn good built-in tool which deserves some attention...
    Anyway, I'm fine with it being here, thanks!
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2005
    the hall of wisdom, is for "the best threads ever" and stuff goes in there by nomination by dgrinners....

thanks nik
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,181 moderator
    edited October 27, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    where to put it at all, but I thought it's a darn good built-in tool which deserves some attention...
    Anyway, I'm fine with it being here, thanks!
    Nikolai, what version of Windows do you have that has this program included?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 1, 2005
    Nikolai, that's very cool. I hadn't seen that before. A lot of that information is available other places, but this program is nice because it consolodates it into a single place. It's a shame that Microsoft chooses to hide away useful system tools like this. I guess it's job security for their technical support services.

Thanks for the tip. thumb.gif
    -joel
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Nikolai, what version of Windows do you have that has this program included?
    I can tell you that XP and Windows2000 both have it, as I just tested it on both systems.

-joel
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2005
    Don't look for it in WIN XP Pro
    A hah! That's why it wasn't on my wife's machine!

winmsd.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    luke_churchluke_church Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:

HTH
    Something like this has been in Office for donkey's years, I think it probably migrated from their into the OS...

If you really want to know about the insides of your computer and what's happening have a play with some of the SysInternals tools: www.sysinternals.com just be prepared to have to work to understand some of the answers and what they actually mean....

Luke
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    A hah! That's why it wasn't on my wife's machine!
    I think you're missing the point. Under XP Pro it does invoke a program that tells you every nuance of your system. If that didn't work for you then you're not trying hard enough.

Go to your Start Menu and select Run...
    Enter "cmd" in the box and press return
    That will open a command window. Enter "winmsd" in that window and press return. Voila, you will have the system viewer which will tell you all about your system. That was the point of Nik's posting as far as I know. The fact that the command "winmsd" invokes a program titled "System Information" is really irrelevant. It does do what Nik says, and I'm fairly certain it will work on your wife's system too.
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2005
    kdog wrote:
    I think you're missing the point. Under XP Pro it does invoke a program that tells you every nuance of your system. If that didn't work for you then you're not trying hard enough.

Go to your Start Menu and select Run...
    Enter "cmd" in the box and press return
    That will open a command window. Enter "winmsd" in that window and press return. Voila, you will have the system viewer which will tell you all about your system. That was the point of Nik's posting as far as I know. The fact that the command "winmsd" invokes a program titled "System Information" is really irrelevant. It does do what Nik says, and I'm fairly certain it will work on your wife's system too.
    Cut out the middle man. Just enter "winmsd" in the Run box.

Bear
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    behr655 wrote:
    Cut out the middle man. Just enter "winmsd" in the Run box.

Bear
    OK, I will try that next time she's out! lol3.gif
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    I'm hearing all sortsa jabber here but I so totally don't understand... by any chance are y'all talking about bbq? :food
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    I'm hearing all sortsa jabber here but I so totally don't understand... by any chance are y'all talking about bbq? :food
    Andy, just go raid the fridge. You'll feel lots better. :eat
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2005
    Another feature...
    If you "run" DXDIAG from the command line, you get even more info... Including the clock speed of your machine. You can also test for any disparities in your hardware/drivers. Most accurate with W2k and XP.
  • Options
    edited December 15, 2005
    Nice one, Seymore!
    Seymore wrote:
    If you "run" DXDIAG from the command line, you get even more info... Including the clock speed of your machine. You can also test for any disparities in your hardware/drivers. Most accurate with W2k and XP.
    Although it's tuned for DirectX, it's a nice tool to have!
    Thank you for sharing!thumb.gif
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    System Inventory
    There is a free program that does a total inventory of your system and all of the software on it at Belarc.com;nice to have a written copy of this around before the drive crashes.clap.gif
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    Pretty neat!
    davemj98 wrote:
    There is a free program that does a total inventory of your system and all of the software on it at Belarc.com;nice to have a written copy of this around before the drive crashes.clap.gif

I agree!thumb.gif