Options

Chal 54 by ginger

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited December 23, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
48376851-L.jpg

Reach Out For Peace

Or Arms of Peace

48376828-L.jpg

Below, I was going to call this Peaceful Repose until I looked in the dictionary and found out that phrase is redundant.

So: this is Repose, all of these were shot 12/14/2005
This one is my favorite, with the sun shining yellow on the still dew wet tree...

48316230-L.jpg

Well, I might be reaching, but hey, ............what can I say? Oh, around 1400 years old. It is called The Angel Oak, or just The Tree. Charleston parks system stole it away from its private owners recently. For the reason of preservation, that was the reason given. There is a ballet danced in and around it every year at Spoleto time (early June). I have never seen it, this may be the year.

ginger

Oh, this is my husband's favorite. I think it is toned a bit dark, but I see his point and could do it over. My favorite is Repose. This one here could be called "Mothering Arms Of Peace". Or some such.........

48316241-L.jpg
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    48376851-L.jpg

Reach Out For Peace
    Ginger,
    I like the first one best. That's an amazing tree. It's probably at least 200 years old? I'll bet it's seen a lot in it's lifetime. It would be nice if there were a person sitting under it, but I'll bet they don't let people get near it. We have one in our town that has a fence around it to protect it. Sigh.
    Nice shot.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited December 16, 2005
    Thanks, Snappy, it is over 1400 yrs old. Can't imagine!

Yes, they let people under it, and all around it. When the city "stole" it from its owners in the interest of preservation, I thought they would lock it all up and change it.

Nope, still same "bubba" type shack, a few picnic tables and other tall pines. And no fence at all.

But if I had taken it with a person under it, it wouldn't have been a tree reaching its arms out in Peace, would it. Lame as it is, smile.

I should take a photo with someone under it, they are bound to seal that sucker off at some point. It is amazing, no one watching, one could do terrible things to that tree. A couple came and took photos and left, while I was there.

I decided I could clone them out. The photos they are in, they are very small, not noticeable, and they weren't in these.

ginger
  • Options
    queequegqueequeg Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    So: this is Repose, all of these were shot 12/14/2005
    This one is my favorite, with the sun shining yellow on the still dew wet tree...
    Ginger -- I think it suites the challenge the most out of all of these, as (to me, at least) that forward most branch resembles an art model resting in a comfortable position, just waiting to be sketched. It's very enticing.
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2005
    Yes, Quee, you see exactly what I see: a human form........and at rest, thereby at Peace.I love it, there must be a word for seeing one thing when it is another. But you DO see what I see.My first thought was something like Peace In Repose, but that doesn't seem to work.I am up (in pain, but up) before sunrise, though it "may" be cloudy, but that is good photography time, if the sun comes through the clouds, but I will be darned, I just can't think of anything else. Not in my life. We just don't have peace rallies at Christmas time in Charleston. If we do, the media isn't mentioning them. Most of the good Christmas "things" are over.Scratch all outdoor activities in Charleston this weekend. Rain, going to clouds to rain, to clouds........all weekend. Maybe go see Narnia!ginger (thanks for "your eye"!)
    (Maybe one of the dancers from later spring laid down, went to sleep and became a part of the tree, a limb, and she sleeps on (peacefully), frozen as one with the tree)If anyone wants to google this tree it is famous Angel Oak+Charleston, SCThat would get you all the info, etc.ginger
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    12/16/2005
    48720670-L.jpg
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    reach out for peace
    I'll tend to agree with snappy on this, "Reach out for Peace" is such a calm mellow shot... excellent though the entire set is, that one for me best meets the challenge. :cool

(that poor boid looks too cold to be at peace, unless it's RIP... but maybe that's just me thinking of the 8" of snow outside....ne_nau.gif)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    Snow???? We don't have snow! Warm birdy. The gale that was/is blowing forty degree temps is quite delightful really. People were walking their dogs in it today. I even got me some "regular" birds: the wading kind. (Bill wouldn't get out of the van, and all these dogs and their humans were walking on by. He agreed that he is a wuss.)

I still have a cemetery to go to, and I am not sure what I want to do. I still like the repose tree, but none of these shots are going to cut it, and with religion so "out of favor" this year, that won't work either, I don't think. I still think "light" is the answer (Hey, I have a sunset sky). Or a baby. And there will be one in the finals, or more.

But those birds were either frozen in place or quite comfortable. The sun had "set", and they were closing their eyes.

Send some snow, I am thinking of all the nice peaceful snow shots that are going to show up, you know, fresh untrodden snow. Maybe a church with a spire in the background/foreground, whatever.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    These are all really nice, but I'm sure you'll do better. Religion might seem out of favor to you, but comes the Xmas seasion people get really soft. Don't be afraid of the Norman Rockwell effect.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Snow???? We don't have snow! Warm birdy.
    Send some snow, I am thinking of all the nice peaceful snow shots that are going to show up, you know, fresh untrodden snow. Maybe a church with a spire in the background/foreground, whatever.

you want snow? you want church? got just the thing for ya........when i shot it yesterday it was about -8 F, and the snow around the building was deeper than my boots and my ankles about froze. i had to take hubby's chevy 4x4 to get in and out of the place. i couldn't take my fingers out of the mittens for long enough to set up a good shot...ahhh, what we do for our art.

now, can someone tell me what i can do to improve this shot? thanks :):

48807656-L.jpg
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Best photo
    I think the church in the snow is the best example of peace in these threads. I hope u submit it. Amazing pic! Bruce
    livinginoz wrote:
    you want snow? you want church? got just the thing for ya........when i shot it yesterday it was about -8 F, and the snow around the building was deeper than my boots and my ankles about froze. i had to take hubby's chevy 4x4 to get in and out of the place. i couldn't take my fingers out of the mittens for long enough to set up a good shot...ahhh, what we do for our art.

now, can someone tell me what i can do to improve this shot? thanks :):

48807656-L.jpg
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    We've totally hijacked Ginger's thread. Better to start your own for this shot. But look here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=24090
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    Laurie, I think that is a nice peaceful scene. It might have helped if the whole steeple were there, but to me that is the type of thing that says Peace.

Rutt, our family doesn't do Norman Rockwell, we may try, but we end up in a sit com or a soap opera, one or the other.

I tried for religion this AM, but you know those Catholics, they don't have Christmas til Christmas, so the visuals were not there. The priest told me no photos during Mass.

And, as an aside, not to do with this, I got asked to please leave where I photograph the birds on Shem Creek. I was worried about that happening, and it did. And the truth is, the man did not say "please". Bill was in the van, but he wouldn't ask the man what the problem was, and I can't understand the guy except for things like, "go away".

I am really expecting this shot to come from snow country. Norman Rockwell would have snow.

That is where you are: give it a go!

ginger
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    I assume that you all have seen this one. The one I am using has a frame thingy on it, but I left that one on smugmug. I could get rid of the grain if I wanted, but I think it says religion/Catholic rather than Peace. The one thing it really has going for it is the hand is big and foremost, smile.

48776227-L.jpg
  • Options
    livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Laurie, I think that is a nice peaceful scene. It might have helped if the whole steeple were there, but to me that is the type of thing that says Peace.

Rutt, our family doesn't do Norman Rockwell, we may try, but we end up in a sit com or a soap opera, one or the other.

I tried for religion this AM, but you know those Catholics, they don't have Christmas til Christmas, so the visuals were not there. The priest told me no photos during Mass.

And, as an aside, not to do with this, I got asked to please leave where I photograph the birds on Shem Creek. I was worried about that happening, and it did. And the truth is, the man did not say "please". Bill was in the van, but he wouldn't ask the man what the problem was, and I can't understand the guy except for things like, "go away".

I am really expecting this shot to come from snow country. Norman Rockwell would have snow.

That is where you are: give it a go!

ginger

thanks, ginger. i do have a shot with the steeple (actually it's a lightening rod). i will post it on a separate thread. sorry to hijack yours....

why would they make you leave where you were shooting? doesn't make much sense.
    laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2005
    Thy Will.........peace 12/18/2005
    48841725-L.jpg

Trying to take this without being intrusive was such fun. I would pretend to take the choir loft, focus on some pews, just this one came anywhere close.

She is there every week, like this. I have tried before, but as I said, this is the closest I have come. Actually this is probably about the most peace she gets. Sad, I think.

From doing "thy will comes peace", that was the homily today. Thy will being God's will, and the priest's last word of the homily was "peace".

ginger

I think I like it better with the grain, as shot......

48844321-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2005
    48848127-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2005
    48918484-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    Calm Waters, peace
    49212429-L.jpg

If anyone sees this, what do you think about this compared to the elderly woman. For the challenge, Peace.

I had thought about doing these boats for this, and for reflections, but I had thought they are one of the most peaceful looking things I photograph when the water is really calm like this. But I didn't think I would get to it. As I keep whining, it is cold out there. But I did take this photo tonight, as I took a photo like it last year on the winter solstice.

Now I am torn.

Does anyone have an opinion?

ginger
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    The picture of the fishing boats really conveys a sense of serenity. It is a lovely photo. I can't begin to give an opinion about whether it would do better in the "peace" challenge than the woman in church. For me, the boats would be a better entry but, be warned, my track record of chosing worthy finalists is abysmal. rolleyes1.gif I love the concept behind the photo of the elderly woman in the church. That said, she doesn't look peaceful to me and the people leaving in the background give a sense of her being abandoned - though I suppose one is never abandoned if one is in church. On the other hand, she does look as though she is seeking peace. ne_nau.gif

Great photos. Good luck in the challenge, Ginger.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Ginger,

I have taken exactly one good picture in my life and I entered it into this competition. Can't you start your Masters Program or something just until this competition is over? rolleyes1.gif

You're a heck of a shooter girl, it will be an honor to lose to you!
    www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2005
    Good gosh I was so glad to get the pressure of getting good grades over with, I have a few credits in advanced classes, such as genetics, an interest of mine, but my quest for grades and approval is over with rolleyes1.gif .

Yeah, right! So what the H am I entering this stuff for?

Murphy, I love your photo. I am the type person who looks at my own photo frequently to see what I think, and I pass yours every time, I love it! In fact I am so acquainted with your photo, I tend to think of it as a slice of my life, too. That is how most of us actually do experience a little peace in the evening.

I have not made the finals in many challenges, and that is adding up now to many moons!! I just keep taking photos......??? Driving myself nuts! I am going out of town. I have to download the instructions on using my flash, lost the manual.

I just wanted to respond to you since your post to me really means a lot, it really does. Being "a heck of a shooter", well, that means more to me than you can imagine. I appreciate your saying it.

I wish you luck, too. It would be an honor and a joy to lose to you. Dogs have not done well in these challenges, I hope yours is an exception. Passing it daily since you posted it, it has given me, owner of three dogs, lots of peace.

And I hope you luck on to many more good photos. I shoot a lot, I mean a lot. Like that boat photo, probably over 200 photos of those boats that night. In a short period of time, too. With two different lenses.

Then I have to edit, do the post. So, I think a lot of it is luck, and shooting a LOT.

However, recently it has really been for my own pleasure. And the memories. The joy photography has given me in my life cannot be measured.

Remember I used to hate Charleston. Through photography, I have come out on the other side to see the beauty that is here. Sharing it is my joy!

ginger

Merry Christmas Everyone!

I am no longer politically correct.

For a few days I am going to try to remember the person
    who used to celebrate the improbable birth of a baby, in a manger,
    in a town called Bethlehem. I am going to try to remember my
    uneducated child. As I know now that the facts are probably different
    and we are actually continuing the tradition of festivities in the middle
    of the colder darker time of year.

But for a few days.................well, I wish you a MERRY CHRISTMAS,
    and if you don't "do" Christmas, I wish you your own dreams, if only
    for a moment!
  • Options
    DragonMXDragonMX Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 23, 2005
    Well said Ginger.thumb.gif

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!