Options

Publish bound books

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited December 20, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
Anyone know of the cheapest place to print and bind photobooks?
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I don't know who is the cheapest but I've always wanted to try http://www.mypublisher.com/default.php. They can make freaking huge books apparently.

Maybe one day I'll have enough good pics to actually justify getting some of them.rolleyes1.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    My Publisher -- not for Macs
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I don't know who is the cheapest but I've always wanted to try http://www.mypublisher.com/default.php. They can make freaking huge books apparently.

Maybe one day I'll have enough good pics to actually justify getting some of them.rolleyes1.gif

Very nice marketing, beautiful clean site (they redid their site from about a year ago) but the software you have to download to set up a book only works for Windows.

There are other options available for Macs I'm sure... iPhoto for example.

I did a search not too long ago, but the prices were more than I wanted to pay. When there's 4 to 5 books to order for relatives, it gets pretty expensive.

Russell Brown has this neat tutorial on how to make a book (without glue) using special roll paper for about 6 interior photos. It was a lot of fun to watch even though I don't think I'll try to make one :D

Scroll down to the bottom until you see:

Creative Bookmaking
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Very nice marketing, beautiful clean site (they redid their site from about a year ago) but the software you have to download to set up a book only works for Windows.
    That doesn't seem like a very smart business decision on their part ne_nau.gif Maybe they need to hire some better programmers (or farm it out for crying out loud!)

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    I placed an order with 'MyPublisher.com' a couple weeks back. My experience is my own and I don't know if what is happening with me..is standard operating procedures? I'm still dealing with them to resolve many problems I've had with my original order..and my reorder (in an attempt to correct problems).

Not so short version (unlike Readers Digest) :D

Get an email with 50% off coupon code.

Spend hours setting up book. (after loading their software). Try several times to upload book and place order. WOn't work!! Hangs up my computer and I have to exit and reload the software and open book..and start order procedure all over. After hours of this crap..the coupon expires at midnight. I don't make the deadline....from no fault of my own.

I email MyPublisher and let them know of the trouble I had and the frustration I experienced (also let them know I thik they should extend the coupon for my order..if they want my business).

I get an email saying basically..tough luck. They made note that no extensions would be given. eek7.gif Fine...but I tried several times BEFORE the deadline to place an order.

I emailed MyPublisher and let them know how rotten I thought this situation was. They emailed me back and (with attitude) said they would extend the coupon to me for my trouble. They also said it would only be good for one order. SO..basically I could not order some small paperback books and a few large coffee table books. PIck one.

So...I place the order for 15 books. I receive the books in a few days. Upon receipt of books I look over them. ALL COVERS WERE MISPRINTED. The covers have a little cut out window. Not a single image ligned up centered in the cutout window. They all had more space on the right side. It struck me as if they did not allow (take into account) the binding of the book.

I continue to examine the books for problems. I am happy with the quality of the paper. Very nice looking. Printing is also rather impressive ...except the images came out much darker than I expected. Sure...you can't compair a lit monitor to printed page..but they seemed really dark ..considering.

I took a couple books to the neighbors to share. THey started to look through them. They were very careflul when flipping through the books. Almost as if these were made of glass. I suppose they knew I take pride im my photos. As the first person thumbed through the pages...THEY STARTED TO COME UNBOUND. Yep..the pages were coming out. I can't believe this at this stage of the game. I figure I've got a real problem. I check out some more books. SAME PROBLEM. Loose pages from defective binding.

I immediately contact "MyPublisher" via email. (no phone number..doh). They email me and appologize for the trouble and say they will credit my account. I email them saying I want the books..not my money. Several more emails back and forth to straighten this situation out (so I think). They finally tell me to reupload the book and they will reprint it....at no cost.

I spend the time again to reupload the book and reorder my books. I have to go through the whole order process again. The book won't upload without credit card info. So I think I get this cleared up and am reassured no additional costs will occur. I place the order and wait for the second order to arrive.

The second batch arrives and I look it over. First thing I check out is the covers. YEP.. screwed up again. 13 of the 15 books are again misaligned. Printed off center. Some are off to the left..other the right side. I even have two book covers that are crooked (tilted). I end up with two acceptable books. The pages don't seem to be coming apart (defective bindings)..but I do get the feeling these new books don'e open as wide as the first batch. This makes it difficult to view the photos. I also notice that a handful of the books have some erroneous printing on the lower edges and corners. It almost looks like they printed up several books and then cut them out. I think I might have got the corners of someone elses books?

I contact MyPublisher again via email because they never did provide me with a contact number despite asking twice. I receive a follow up email again appologizing for the problems and my frustration. I am informed that the customer service rep cannot handle this issue at this point and will direct it to a manager. I'm still waiting to hear back from MyPublisher about this fiasco.

It is too bad they are such screw ups..as the printing and paper quality are pretty darn nice. THe two books that did turn out without problems are rather impressive. I will not be ordering from MyPUblisher.com again. I would like to find a printer that has the same quality paper/printing..but doesn't screw up.

Oh yeah..forgot to mention. I was informed my credit card has been charged for both orders. The second order was also charged for the full price and not hte 50% off price. I was told I will receive a full refund..but this will take about 3 weeks. I raised a stink and sent off a couple more emails. I finally got someone to call me about this crazy policy of theirs. They again appologized, but said nothing could be done. This is the way they handle refunds/credits. A voucher will be sent for a credit to the accounting office..then..yada yada yada. I think I'll call my credit card and stop payment (charge back) ? What an ordeal. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Moral of the story
    Whenever you deal with a new vendor, send a test first. If all goes well, then send more. You wind up with a better product and save time and effort in the long run.

And I have books printed that cost a thousand dollars and more per book, and you still run into problems occasionally. Expect it to happen, and deal with it on a case by case basis.
    I placed an order with 'MyPublisher.com' a couple weeks back.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Whenever you deal with a new vendor, send a test first. .
    I hear you. I usually do. I had heard and read good things about this company. I also wanted to take advantage of a 50% off coupon. Didn't want to waste it on a single test book. Not enough time to get a sample ordered and back before it expired either. Took a gamble and seem to have gotten slapped.
    Expect it to happen, and deal with it on a case by case basis.
    It is unfortunate..but I always do expect problems with things. I always save all emails and photo document the items/problems. I figure I'll end up in court or having to prove the situation.
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Darn. Their products sounded so nice too. Mark them off the list of potential services.

• Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Darn. Their products sounded so nice too. Mark them off the list of potential services.
    Too bad indeed. The two (of 30 sent) books printed correctly without faulty bindings are very nice. Just too many other problems and rotten policies that ruined it for me. Is it too much to ask for the cover image to be centered in the cutout window...or the binding to hold the pages in the book? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif I don't think so...or I'd never have mentioned it here. I am very annoyed and dissapointed in this whole transaction. To their credit they do make an attempt to make things correct...but.umph.gif fall short IMHO.

Posted some pics of the defective books if intereseted :

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?p=200653&posted=1#post200653

Still looking for a good book place. Anyone know of one?
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Too bad indeed. The two (of 30 sent) books printed correctly without faulty bindings are very nice. Just too many other problems and rotten policies that ruined it for me. Is it too much to ask for the cover image to be centered in the cutout window...or the binding to hold the pages in the book? ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif I don't think so...or I'd never have mentioned it here. I am very annoyed and dissapointed in this whole transaction. To their credit they do make an attempt to make things correct...but.umph.gif fall short IMHO.

Posted some pics of the defective books if intereseted :

http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?p=200653&posted=1#post200653

Have you heard of www.Lulu.com I haven't tried them yet but am planning on it soon.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    bham wrote:
    Have you heard of www.Lulu.com I haven't tried them yet but am planning on it soon.
    Yes. They are often mentioned on this forum..especially for calendars. Some have been not so happy lately ?? Some seem to like them. headscratch.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    aporiaaporia Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    . . . Still looking for a good book place. Anyone know of one?
    Lulu offers self-publication via the publish-on-demand (POD) route with no upfront costs. I haven't tried it myself, but some photographer authors seem to be happy with the results. Check out, for example: http://www.lulu.com/bearpaw.
    Tom in Niagara (CAN/US)
    Real Body Integrated Arts
    GMT -5
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Yes. They are often mentioned on this forum..especially for calendars. Some have been not so happy lately ?? Some seem to like them. headscratch.gif
    Well you might try contacting some of the people who have books for sale on the site and get some feedback from them.

I plan on spending more time on trying to put a test book together over the holidays.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    In fact I do. Something very exciting actually. I'm going to talk to the folks at smugmug and then I'll get back to you.

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    This why quality control is essential in ensuring business is kept and not lost.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Okay here's the deal. My Mom works for a company called Viatech Publishing. One part of their business is printing just about anything. They use the DocuTech which apparently is awesome and they let you choose your paper, layout, binding, etc. etc. etc. Without a large order a hardbound book would be expensive but a "perfect bind" (apparently that is exactly what you'd get from a soft cover book from a bookstore) would not be nearly so much. She seemed to indicate that she would love to be able to sell a book for the $60 that mypublisher charges (meaning they'd be way cheaper than that).

Fortunately she's coming out to the house for the holidays. There are printers all over the world and one of them is right down the highway from us. So she and I are going to take a bit of a trip to the plant so I can grill them about their process and what they have to offer and get plenty of samples and all of that. I'll also take a bunch of pictures so everyone can know what's going on.

I'm also going to try to work up something to try to sell to Smugmug. I already talked to Andy about it. There are some reservations (understandable of course) but we'll see. The good thing is that if Smugmug say had x number of hardcovers set aside in the warehouse, the cost for a custom hardcover printed book would decrease dramatically. That and potentially (if everything were to work out - and next to nothing has been said to Smugmug about this as of yet so we're still WAY early in the game - they may not want to do this at all bear in mind) one could order and sell published photo books right from their site just like with photos. Even if that doesn't happen, I'll let everyone know when I verify that what Viatech has to offer (both customer service wise and product wise) is worth your hard earned cash.

• Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Funny, a few lifetimes ago, I used to be a Docutech service tech. A big and beautiful machine that ;-)

Mike Lane wrote:
    They use the DocuTech...
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    thumb.gif Good luck, Mike
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    ralfnaderralfnader Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 22, 2005
    yes I can
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I can offer these services at very reasonable price as I got home base printing and binding business.
    contact me if you need .
    [email="raufn2000@yahoo"]raufn2000@yahoo[/email]
  • Options
    portellimageryportellimagery Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    I was going to try and print one at LuLu with my car shots. If it turns out well I will try and sell it locally at the weekly car shows. THe key is to get in as many cars because if someone's car is in, they will probably be more apt to buy.

THe Mypublisher books do look great on the website. My. Lane looks like he may provide another route.
    Portell Imagery - Photography by Micheal Portell
    www.portellimagery.com
    Portell Imagery - The Blog blog.portellimagery.com
    Speak Up Designs www.speakupdesigns.com
    Get your Portell Imagery 2006 Photography Calendar here
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Just an update regarding (lack of) customer service at MyPublisher.com regarding the screwed up book order of mine . I contacted them last week regarding the second order of books that were screwed up. After receiving an email from a customer service rep........ saying the issue needs to be passed on to a supervisor/manager, I have not heard back from them since. I get the feeling the ball has been dropped again. Maybe they like basketball and think dribbling is cool? ne_nau.gif So much for getting back to me promptly. Now it will for surely be after Thanksgiving and most likely next week (if at all) :splat
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Just an update regarding (lack of) customer service at MyPublisher.com regarding the screwed up book order of mine . I contacted them last week regarding the second order of books that were screwed up. After receiving an email from a customer service rep........ saying the issue needs to be passed on to a supervisor/manager, I have not heard back from them since. I get the feeling the ball has been dropped again. Maybe they like basketball and think dribbling is cool? ne_nau.gif So much for getting back to me promptly. Now it will for surely be after Thanksgiving and most likely next week (if at all) :splat
    I'm really hoping that what I've got brewing will solve your book publishing needs thumb.gif I'll let you know when I know more.

• Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm really hoping that what I've got brewing will solve your book publishing needs thumb.gif I'll let you know when I know more.
    Thanks thumb.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    madderncmaddernc Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Howdy

I have used Shared Ink and was very happy with the results. Your story with MyPublisher is not once off. I did alot of research before my first book and issues with MyPublisher are fairly common. Shared Ink has THE BEST customer service I have ever had from a web based company. The owner also is the support guy so you get fast accurate replies to your queries. The main reason I chose them over the rest was the fact that they don't do any manipulation to your images. What you load is what you get. Alot of the consumer orientated places 'fix' your images. You download the appropriate templates for photoshop then do your own layouts. You can download a profile for their printer so you can softproof in PS (Very handy given the differences between CYMK & RGB!). My only gripes are the 12"x12" square format is the biggest they offer and they do not have dust jackets yet. There is a once off fee to join the Photographers Program (as opposed to the consumer offering) but I found it well worth it.

Cain
    "One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it." Galen Rowell

WildFocus Images

Blog: WIldFocus Images
  • Options
    CouncelorCouncelor Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 8, 2005
    More MyPublisher Problems
    :gun2 Add me to the list of people who have gotten the short end from MyPublisher.

To the best of my knowledge I sent in a project with their program with several specifications, one important one was not followed. All they could say is that they didn't see an error. It is like the voting booths in Florida, when you make an order you get no confirmation of what you ordered other than an order number and a date.....no specifics... so you have no way of knowing that what you ordered, or intended to order, actually ended up getting ordered until the product ends up in your lap. Then all MyPublisher is willing to say is: too bad,.... soo sad. :flush
  • Options
    eclecticbubbaeclecticbubba Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 8, 2005
    My Publisher defender
    I'm sure this post will automatically ensure that I have bad luck with them, but here goes...

I've had several successful book orders with My Publisher. various books, various styles, and several quantity runs.

That being said, I'm sure that it only takes one small problem to blow up into a customer service nightmare. I absolutely respect Bird Man and others' condemnation of the operation for ruining their orders. there can be nothing worse. (Except for paper cuts when licking envelopes, don't you hate that?)

I do want to point out a couple of things: they seem to be the cheapest kids on the block for that kind of paper/print quality (I know, I know IF it works out...) and with coupon codes readily searched on the internet, and with as many specials as they run... it can really be inexpensive. There is even a full bleed option on some of the books.

some folks have complained about upload problems. I experienced that as well for a while... somewhere deep in their troubleshooting info, (or perhaps it was a customer service answer) they point out that for whatever reason, they have issues with customers trying to upload through network routers and their firewalls. I bypassed my router, and haven't had a problem since.

Some folks have complained that they are PC friendly, and not available on Macs. Actually, the "IPhoto" "order book" option or mail order album connection utilizes "My Publisher" as their vendor. The bad part about this is, the layouts seem to be more limited, and you don't have access to the coupons or specials. Apple doesn't advertise this, but the return address is the same.

anyway, I'm don't have any connection or financial interest in MP, I was just amazed at the quality of book/prints for the price. Obviously, once bitten - twice shy. I'm sure some of the other book layout companies offer more personal, and perhaps (hopefully) are a lot more interested in quality control. MP is great though at that price point when ordering a half dozen gifts, or a dozen portfolio samples, or keeping extras on file for handout.

Now that I've said all that, I'm uploading some Christmas books tonight... I guess I'm asking to get burned after all of this! And I'll humbly post if i do.

good luck.
    bubba
  • Options
    edited December 17, 2005
    Nice to hear that things have worked out with My Publisher for you, Bubba. It does strike me..rather odd that your first and only post was in defense of an online company. I guess my books will NEVER be printed correctly. After a few more emails and a few week wait...My Publisher has decided to credit my card for the total amount of my order. This is fine....but I really wanted to have the books correctly printed to present as gifts. They obviously were NOT interested in printing the books again. It was a shame things didn't go more smoothly. Sure I got all my money back and got to keep the books....but what a nightmare.

It was a real struggle deciding who (if at all) would get the defective books. I was not thrilled with passing these defective books off....even to close family memebers. It just reflects poorly on me and my work. Nothing like having a book that falls apart as you look through it. Nice when people ask why the cover photo isn't centered...and was this a "design element" ? rolleyes1.gif Oh well... the 2 or 3 books that actually turned out....were rather impressive nad very nice. 3 out of 30 books, though...isn't very good. :uhoh headscratch.gif

Hope others have better luck if they decide to use My Publisher. They said to me in an email that they had been having trouble with their paperback books and are working hard to eliminate such issues. Guess they just couldn't take the chance of printing my books for a 3rd time to get it correct. Guess it's only 2 strikes with them....and you're not worth their effort. That's fine. There are many other printers out there that will love to take my $$$$$.

Cheers

MM
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Nice to hear that things have worked out with My Publisher for you, Bubba. It does strike me..rather odd that your first and only post was in defense of an online company. I guess my books will NEVER be printed correctly. After a few more emails and a few week wait...My Publisher has decided to credit my card for the total amount of my order. This is fine....but I really wanted to have the books correctly printed to present as gifts. They obviously were NOT interested in printing the books again. It was a shame things didn't go more smoothly. Sure I got all my money back and got to keep the books....but what a nightmare.

It was a real struggle deciding who (if at all) would get the defective books. I was not thrilled with passing these defective books off....even to close family memebers. It just reflects poorly on me and my work. Nothing like having a book that falls apart as you look through it. Nice when people ask why the cover photo isn't centered...and was this a "design element" ? rolleyes1.gif Oh well... the 2 or 3 books that actually turned out....were rather impressive nad very nice. 3 out of 30 books, though...isn't very good. :uhoh headscratch.gif

Hope others have better luck if they decide to use My Publisher. They said to me in an email that they had been having trouble with their paperback books and are working hard to eliminate such issues. Guess they just couldn't take the chance of printing my books for a 3rd time to get it correct. Guess it's only 2 strikes with them....and you're not worth their effort. That's fine. There are many other printers out there that will love to take my $$$$$.

Cheers

MM

Have yopu tried that printer service at flikr called Qoop..looks interesting.

Good luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    eclecticbubbaeclecticbubba Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 19, 2005
    MP order OK
    Just wanted to update my post.
    as I suggested earlier, I would report my luck or lack of it dealing with "MyPublisher.com". I ordered 4 hardbound books in two orders when I posted previously. I split the order up, because I found an online 2 for 1 coupon code, (good only for one freebie) so I ordered twice and got 4 for 2.
    the books arrived last Wednesday. Both orders were in great physical shape. the linen hardcovers were fine, and the printing was excellent, no "automatic" adjustments by them as far as I can tell.
    In one "caption", where I had a series of hyphenated words, they split the caption among two lines, mid word, not at the hypen. For a full bore, retail wedding album, that would have been a deal-killer, but for xmas books of the kids for relatives, it's a minor annoyance.

I don't particularly appreciate the inference that I'm a shill, Birdman. I tried to make clear that I understand that one horrible customer service experience definitely would poison a relationship with any vendor.
    I found this list when I was googling "photobooks" to compare prices and service and actually, look for coupon codes. in my research, (some of it here) I did find that there are many many more companies doing this, but again, the pricepoint was unbeatable, especially compared with the variety of products.

After reading the posts here, especially your post, Birdman: I almost went with SharedInk, but again, I would have had to pay well over twice what I paid at mypublisher. I thought that it was worth the risk, especially since I had not experienced such problems.

I have also had terrible customer service with vendors and manufacturers. Apple Computer very nearly put me out of business with their approach to high end technical support. But I don't hold my Apple worshipping friends suspect when they post on various sites extolling the virtues of owning a Mac. I have now used MyPublisher for 5 different book orders, and other than two text errors, (split words, both times), I am very pleased with the product at this price point. (The paperbacks are about 15 bucks.) An associate of mine has used them twice, no problem.

I was under the impression that forums like this were for the unrestricted ability to discuss all kinds of experiences with our craft, bad OR good.

I would be happy to supply the list adminstrator any professional credentials and references, reflecting that I have no monetary or professional interest in MyPublisher.

bubba
  • Options
    chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    shared ink
    maddernc wrote:
    Howdy

I have used Shared Ink and was very happy with the results. Your story with MyPublisher is not once off. I

Cain

Hmm sounds good. i might just use them.
    ---
    Chris
    Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
    Canon 10D | 20D | 5D
  • Options
    cwphotoscwphotos Registered Users Posts: 763 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    fotophun thanks for the heads up, though it does seem like an infomercial.... :uhoh
    ====My Gear=====
    Canon 5D Mk.2/Grip || Canon 7D Backup
    17-40 f/4L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS || 100mm f/2.8L Macro || 24-70mm f/2.8L
    Wedding Photographer
    www.cwphotos.net