dgrin meetups

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Harry: I have a calendar on my desk with silly quotes for each day of the year. As I looked at it I laughed and thought of you as I read this quote attributed to Benjamin Franklin:
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Hallelujah! :D
    He was a very wise man. I think of him every time I turn on my electric oven. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Geez, there's just no winning here. One wants a bigger bucket and another guy wants limes. I'm saving my pennies for a 500mm lens if you want limes or a bigger bucket bring you own. :pissed
    Oh, gosh, Harry, this is just too easy.

Uh, why would you need a bigger lens?

You can whistle and the birds...................

aaaaawwwh, I like you too much.

Would I get killed at a secluded park area, by myself, close to dark?

I just got scared. Maybe I am too old, or girly, for serious photography. This has never happened before. I was going to go spend some time with my egrets, Bill is working, and I get scared????

ginger

I don't know what this thread is, I just read that about the lens, and the devil came and got me. You know how close to Georgia SC is. It is probably Thomas fault. (The Devil Came Down TO Georgia, don't you know?)

Public Rallys, that sounds great.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited May 18, 2005
    OK, I know what the whole thread is. I would love to meet people. I would be stretching it just to get somewhere and pay for the night, but Georgia is kind of a middle place, it is southeast.

Also the Smoky Mtns and Digital Fairy are in North Carolina, or on the border with Georgia and SC. DF is in Boone, not on any borders of states, but right off the Blue Ridge Parkway, a great place. Also the state park in SC, in fact several of them. But I was thinking of the one above Greenville, that area. Reservations for a cabin are like a year or two in advance, but the area, waterfalls, etc. Here there is the coast.

The southeast has no fall, autumn, but it does stay warm a long time, usually. Here you might even catch a hurricane. Perhapes photo journalism.
    Also, for nature, think the Ace Basin: google it.

I am not as familiar with Georgia, I do know that it has great sea islands.

All those are ideas I would love, I think. Further away, with more cost, it is out.

ginger
  • JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2005
    I think there would be plenty of places in NC, TN, and north GA. I would love to meet up with some of you, but like Ginger money is a issue. Ginger we are only about 150 miles apart and my brother lives in columbia, we could work out some sort of car pooling to save a few bucks. It will be July or very late june before I can do anything though, I will be in the Philippines for much of june.

James.
    ginger_55 wrote:
    OK, I know what the whole thread is. I would love to meet people. I would be stretching it just to get somewhere and pay for the night, but Georgia is kind of a middle place, it is southeast.

Also the Smoky Mtns and Digital Fairy are in North Carolina, or on the border with Georgia and SC. DF is in Boone, not on any borders of states, but right off the Blue Ridge Parkway, a great place. Also the state park in SC, in fact several of them. But I was thinking of the one above Greenville, that area. Reservations for a cabin are like a year or two in advance, but the area, waterfalls, etc. Here there is the coast.

The southeast has no fall, autumn, but it does stay warm a long time, usually. Here you might even catch a hurricane. Perhapes photo journalism.
    Also, for nature, think the Ace Basin: google it.

I am not as familiar with Georgia, I do know that it has great sea islands.

All those are ideas I would love, I think. Further away, with more cost, it is out.

ginger
  • T4TotsT4Tots Registered Users Posts: 198 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2005
    North GA...TN
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I think there would be plenty of places in NC, TN, and north GA. I would love to meet up with some of you, but like Ginger money is a issue. Ginger we are only about 150 miles apart and my brother lives in columbia, we could work out some sort of car pooling to save a few bucks. It will be July or very late june before I can do anything though, I will be in the Philippines for much of june.

James.
    I am not far from Georgia on the other side. Heading to Knoxville at the end of June to the Smoky Mountains for a week long camping trip.
    Tina Folsom :lust
    Photographer and Mom of Four!
    KevinKal wrote:
    While it's a bit out of the way for most of us - Gubbs, I think you're excluded - the English countryside is a fantastic place to shoot landscapes. I just returned from a trip to Europe which allowed me a few days travel in the UK, and let me tell you: the Brits have castles like we have Starbucks - one on every corner! There were also plenty of rolling green hills, grazing sheep, and quaint old towns. That would be one of my dream outings for a shootout, but given the current exchange rate of $2 USD to the pound, it probably won't happen for a while :cry ...

Cheers,
    Kevin

Its OK for me i live in the Peak District

22863488-M.jpg
  • luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2005
    Camera show June 19th in Carson, southern CA, anyone wanna meet up again?
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    I'm here in Kentucky but the closest you guys are to me is 5+ hours I bet. ne_nau.gif
    edited June 28, 2005
    I am back from RP now, is anyone up for a south-east get-together soon? I got a new toy while away so I am ready to give it a real try-out.

James.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Paris in July Anyone?
    I'll be working in Paris from July 1 to August 7 and would love to do a shoot with one or more dgriners while I am there. Anyone interested?

Virginia

Email
    edited August 10, 2005
    Charlotte, NC area? Anyone this weekend
    I will be there, coming up Thursday (8/11/2005). If anyone is in that area please PM me. I am busy Sat and most of Friday. I plan to come home on Sunday. I could alter my plans, and stay a bit, please let me know.

At this point I will not have my car, that is another reason I would need to know. But I would love to meet anyone.........friendly/nice, that is. From dGrin.

ginger (if this is in the wrong place, moderator, please move it for me to the right place, thanks.)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    (if this is in the wrong place, moderator, please move it for me to the right place, thanks.)

yes, it belongs here, in the sticky thread "dgrin meetups" deal.gif
    edited August 10, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I will be there, coming up Thursday (8/11/2005). If anyone is in that area please PM me. I am busy Sat and most of Friday. I plan to come home on Sunday. I could alter my plans, and stay a bit, please let me know.

At this point I will not have my car, that is another reason I would need to know. But I would love to meet anyone.........friendly/nice, that is. From dGrin.

ginger (if this is in the wrong place, moderator, please move it for me to the right place, thanks.)
    Are you going through columbia on the way there/back? I may well be in columbia this weekend.

James.
    edited August 11, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Are you going through columbia on the way there/back? I may well be in columbia this weekend.

James.

Thanks, James. I go around columbia on I77, but my husband is driving. I can't stop in columbia, but we will have lots of aportunity (sp?) to meet after my other daughter moves there a year from last june.

ginger (she is there now w her husband, looking the place over, they are moving from the dc area, so she figures her options are good. I hope they are. I told her to put all of her options into the school district. smile.)
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited September 13, 2005
    West Coast Happening.
    For all you West Coast surf shooters (you know who you are). Break out the
    big glass swell's on the way.

For those of you in the Santa Cruz area, the big stuff will start Thursday
    and building through 7-8 feet Saturday/Sunday. This'd be the weekend of
    the 17th.

What a great start to the season....

And for those who shoot Steamers, a skim board contest will be on the North
    side of the lighthouse.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • tlittletontlittleton Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2005
    I've been outta the loupe for a while....anyone know of any photo happenings in San Francisco between 10-5 and 10-10? Just booked a trip there today.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2005
    Too bad I this is the first time I've seen this thread. bummer.

Okay, I live in Tacoma. Anyone up in the Pacific Northwest that would be interested in getting together to shoot? I'll be in the area until the summer probably. After that we're going to be moving to wherever the US Air Force sees fit to move us.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2005
    i'll be back in new york on tuesday until january 16th and i have a bunch of photoshoots scheduled. if anyone wants to tag along with me on a photoshoot, just send me a message or something.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    binghott wrote:
    i'll be back in new york on tuesday until january 16th and i have a bunch of photoshoots scheduled. if anyone wants to tag along with me on a photoshoot, just send me a message or something.

anyone in the Kansas City Kansas area lookin to go out shooting? or even Topeka/Wichita.ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,534 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I'll post some of my pictures from past trips later but I was wondering if anyone would be interested in getting together to shoot up at Mackinaw Island, Mi. There are plenty of topics to shoot there, people, wildlife, old buildings, rock formations, Mackinaw Bridge, lighthouses, old military forts, FUDGE, and alot more. If anyone is interested let me know.

Gary

Gary,

I'd be game to hook up in the U.P./Mackinaw area. I've been there enough to know it has a lot to offer but not enough to know all the hot spots to shoot.

Send me a PM with some dates in the coming year that sound good to you.
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2006
    Ok, all you Southern California folks, listen up..
    Ok, so there are so many of us dgrinners in the SoCal area, there is no excuse not to get together and do some shooting.

I propose that we have a once-a-month, or every other month meet-up to go shoot a different SoCal scene every time. There is still so much that I haven't explored in the area, and it would make it even more fun if there were others interested in going. I'll be willing to set up the first event if anyone is interested.

Please send me a PM if you would like to join in. :):
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Great idea!
    aero-nut wrote:
    Ok, so there are so many of us dgrinners in the SoCal area, there is no excuse not to get together and do some shooting.

I propose that we have a once-a-month, or every other month meet-up to go shoot a different SoCal scene every time. There is still so much that I haven't explored in the area, and it would make it even more fun if there were others interested in going. I'll be willing to set up the first event if anyone is interested.

Please send me a PM if you would like to join in. :):

I can arrange one right next weekend, next Sunday, to be exact. There is a huge waterfall in Rose Valley. Drive is scenic and the hike is very easy. Also, right next to it (2-3 miles) lie the magnificent boulders of the Piedra Blanca.
    If you didn't see any of those - you didn't see the SoCal:-)

Anybody?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited January 8, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I can arrange one right next weekend, next Sunday, to be exact. There is a huge waterfall in Rose Valley. Drive is scenic and the hike is very easy. Also, right next to it (2-3 miles) lie the magnificent boulders of the Piedra Blanca.
    If you didn't see any of those - you didn't see the SoCal:-)

Anybody?
    Sounds like a great place to shoot at. Let's do it! Anyone else interested?
    Looks pretty close on the map.
    edited January 8, 2006
    They are, in fact, very close:-)
    aero-nut wrote:
    Sounds like a great place to shoot at. Let's do it! Anyone else interested?
    Looks pretty close on the map.

We can meet up at Von's shopping plaza at hwy 33 and hwy 150. From there we can go in a smaller number of cars (permit required to park in the Rose Valley, I'll get one). We can discuss further details closer to the trip.
  • MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2006
    Californians,

I'm in the the socal meet up.
    aero give me a call my cell to let me know the details.
    edited January 9, 2006
    SoCal Meetup.
    Sounds like we have a plan. Lets meet this Sunday (Jan 15th) at the Vons parking lot as Nik suggested (Click here for map: Von's shopping plaza at hwy 33 and hwy 150) at 9 am, unless another time is better for the group. Doesn't look like the hike is too strenuous from what Nik was saying, but some good shoes, water, and a snack would probably be a good idea (and of course what ever mix of camera gear you feel so inclined to bring). I suspect we would probably be done seeing the sights by late afternoon, and could think about going somewhere for a quick meal in the area before calling it quits. Have anywhere you could suggest, Nik? :eat
    edited January 9, 2006
    There are several options
    aero-nut wrote:
    Sounds like we have a plan. Lets meet this Sunday (Jan 15th) at the Vons parking lot as Nik suggested (Click here for map: Von's shopping plaza at hwy 33 and hwy 150) at 9 am, unless another time is better for the group. Doesn't look like the hike is too strenuous from what Nik was saying, but some good shoes, water, and a snack would probably be a good idea (and of course what ever mix of camera gear you feel so inclined to bring). I suspect we would probably be done seeing the sights by late afternoon, and could think about going somewhere for a quick meal in the area before calling it quits. Have anywhere you could suggest, Nik? :eat

As I mentioned before, there are TWO nice places very close to each other. First is Rose Valley falls, second is Piedra Blanca.
    Waterfalls consists of two tiers. The lower tier is like 30 ft tall water slide, all in shade of eucalyptus trees, and is located only 5 minutes aways from a parking/picnic area by a nice wide trail (I saw lots of people with strollers on that trail).
    The upper tier is about 270 ft tall and requires some more advanced hiking, It's not bad (I did it several times with my younger daughter), no ropes required, but it's more technical than the first one. The narrow steep path leads first to the top of the lower tier, and then just a regular path goes to the bottom (the very base) of the upper tier. I'd say it's about 30-40 min hike, especially if we wanna stop and snap some shots on the way up.
    All the way the trails are well shaded, so no heat danger there. Just some generous amounts of poison oak on the trail sides, so one needs to be careful and watch his/her step.

If we start at 9am from the Von's and do both tiers I'd say we should be back by the picnic ground by noon, so it's kinda make perfect timing to have some rest and some food.

Then we can decide whether we are done for the day, or we able to take the second hike. It's a little drive (just 2-3 miles), and we can just use it a vista point and go back. However, if we wanna get to the boulders, it's rather intense 2-3 miles hike one way (and the same back) - little shade, ups and downs, rough trail (not always, but often), couple of creeks crossing, passing through the burnt places. All in all, the second hike is more strenuous and would prolly take 3-4 hours, if not longer...
    edited January 9, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    As I mentioned before, there are TWO nice places very close to each other. First is Rose Valley falls, second is Piedra Blanca.
    Waterfalls consists of two tiers. The lower tier is like 30 ft tall water slide, all in shade of eucalyptus trees, and is located only 5 minutes aways from a parking/picnic area by a nice wide trail (I saw lots of people with strollers on that trail).
    The upper tier is about 270 ft tall and requires some more advanced hiking, It's not bad (I did it several times with my younger daughter), no ropes required, but it's more technical than the first one. The narrow steep path leads first to the top of the lower tier, and then just a regular path goes to the bottom (the very base) of the upper tier. I'd say it's about 30-40 min hike, especially if we wanna stop and snap some shots on the way up.
    All the way the trails are well shaded, so no heat danger there. Just some generous amounts of poison oak on the trail sides, so one needs to be careful and watch his/her step.

If we start at 9am from the Von's and do both tiers I'd say we should be back by the picnic ground by noon, so it's kinda make perfect timing to have some rest and some food.

Then we can decide whether we are done for the day, or we able to take the second hike. It's a little drive (just 2-3 miles), and we can just use it a vista point and go back. However, if we wanna get to the boulders, it's rather intense 2-3 miles hike one way (and the same back) - little shade, ups and downs, rough trail (not always, but often), couple of creeks crossing, passing through the burnt places. All in all, the second hike is more strenuous and would prolly take 3-4 hours, if not longer...

Ok, sounds like maybe the waterfall hike is for sure, and the boulder hike may be a "play it by ear" after the morning's adventures, and see how energized we feel. Agree?
    edited January 9, 2006
    Totally
    aero-nut wrote:
    Ok, sounds like maybe the waterfall hike is for sure, and the boulder hike may be a "play it by ear" after the morning's adventures, and see how energized we feel. Agree?

As an alternative, we can just take a quick (and small!!!!) bite after the first hike (just because picnic area is there), take a look at Piedra Blanca from the vista point, and then take a 30 min drive back down to Ventura Harbor and have a *real nice* meal - and some harbor shooting. It's a great place and a food is awesome and not too expensive.
    edited January 9, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    As an alternative, we can just take a quick (and small!!!!) bite after the first hike (just because picnic area is there), take a look at Piedra Blanca from the vista point, and then take a 30 min drive back down to Ventura Harbor and have a *real nice* meal - and some harbor shooting. It's a great place and a food is awesome and not too expensive.

Sounds like a great backup plan! thumb.gif