Options

Picasa Uploader?

maxglassermaxglasser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 20, 2005 in SmugMug Support
1) I searched on the forums but not extensively so forgive me if this has already been asked/answered. Is there a plugin for Picasa available to allow users to upload pictures directly from Picasa to smugmug (without exporting files to disk...etc...) but simply through a streamlined interface such as how Picasa lets one email pictures through gmail?

2) Is anyone aware of any photo-organizing software comparable to Picasa which allows direct-to-smugmug uploading

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    wave.gif Hi and welcome to dgrin!

Haven't haven't heard of a plugin, but as far as I recall it another person already asked for it. Maybe some of the picasa users can chime in as I'm not using picasa. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    Actually I found are two threads about it - maybe worth a read:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=9421&highlight=picasa+smugmug
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=20223&highlight=picasa+plugin

If you've got no trouble using other programs there are already two nice tools which let you upload a whole bunch of images without having to use your browser:
    Star*Explorer and SendToSmugmug

Hope that helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    maxglassermaxglasser Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2005
    Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    I have been looking for a similar thing. I like the organization and ease of simple fixes with Picasa. But you can not send fixed photos from outside of Picasa because its 'fixes' are in the metadata, not the image. Two ways I have found to handle this:

1) Send your selected images from Picasa directly to smugmug via email. I use the email instructions that are listed for phones, but it works just fine. http://www.smugmug.com/help/camera-phones
    (I found the gmail acct works best, since it has high per email MB limits.)

2) I also use Picasa to "fix" images, then hold them in the Picture Tray. Then I "export" them all to a separate folder, and use either Star Explorer or SendtoSmugmug to load them. This is nice because I have a copy of the images on smugmug that I can archive.

But in the end, nothing that combines these two and is integrated into Picasa.
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited December 20, 2005
    Man, we'd love to see this but can't get Google's attention about it. What the heck? You'd think AOL was bigger and more important to them than us or something. :cry
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Man, we'd love to see this but can't get Google's attention about it. What the heck? You'd think AOL was bigger and more important to them than us or something. :cry
    The only thing that helps then is that the users writing each their own request letters - the more people join in the better.

So all the picasa users - get on it and write a nice request letter! mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Btw: also discovered that you can drag from the Picasa thumbnail view into Star Explorer, but none of the Picasa fixes follow, just the base image.