External Harddrive recomendeations.

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited December 21, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
I need to get a new harddrive. An external one. 320GB large or a bit smaler. Been looking at Western Digital 320GB... I dont need any automatic backup features.

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    I have two Maxtors 80 and 120 gig.The 80 is about 2 1/2 yrs old.No problems.
    I need more storage and needing another.
    I think this time Ill build my own.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Happy with two Maxtors, one a 30 and the other a 120 (I think!)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 2, 2005
    Note that it can be cheaper to buy an internal drive + an external case that allows you to connect via USB, firewire, or both (but not both at the same time obviously). I just bought a 300Gb internal drive for $89 after rebates.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited December 2, 2005
    I use a 500Gb LaCie Firewire external drive partitioned as two 250 Gb drives connected to my MAC.

This lets me save an exact duplicate, bootable main drive, and a second copy of my data drive on the second partition.

Super Duper clones my main drive nitely automatically. And I trigger my data drive save weekly.

Finally, I think I have solved the B/U problems. I also keep seperate DVDS of images and files I really value in addition to the two seperate hard drive copies. As long as lightning doesn't strrike I think I'll be alright.

But then when it comes to computers, I am paranoid, having had several hard drives crashes over the years, so that now I really am a belt AND suspenders kind of a guy.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2005
    I have two EZ Quest drives (my oldest), three maxtor drives (which I like) and my newest is a G-Tech Drive. It is probably the nicest and it is compact, plus FW 800. All of them have served me well so far. One of the EZ Quest drives is on its way out, but it is old.
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Thanks for all the replys.

I dont know if I want a back-up unit. I have read in so many reviews all over the internet that the software is not so good. And I like good software. ut I will look it at again. But right now its going to be the 320GB WD Lightning, just becous if the very cheap price.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    I have two maxtors. Just max (ed) out my second Maxtor (200gb). I use them purely for photography storage. When one fills up, so far, I buy another. I bought a dvd thing, but it wasn't what I thought, so these hold my photos, I download the most important to smugmug and I don't have another backup right now. I do not back up my whole computer. I just want something to load my RAW hard drive eating files into, somewhere I think they are safe, it is in the perception in my opinion.

I lost all my other photos in '89 to a hurricane, so who knows, but in a fire/ hurricane I would take these with me.

I like to do it this way. My last order of a 200gb is on its way here now for 147.50 free second day shipping. Flying zoom zip, or something like that. Fish had said it was OK.

That is what I do, I lost all my music files in the last crash, too bad, but all my photos are fine. CDs are too hard to find.

ginger, should be backed up every way from sunday actually, but this is me.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • babybluetx23babybluetx23 Registered Users Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    My husband and I were JUST talking about this last night, Apparently they make an external USB case that can handle Sata drives - You have to plug it into a wall socket for power, but who cares!!! hehehe I am going to get one here before too long!!!
    Cynthia Cox
    Arlington, Tx
    http://www.innovativeillusionsphoto.com/

OMP member #: 173034

Canon EOS 5D : Bogen 3051 tripod : Bogen Monopod : Bogen 3030 head unit : Canon Speedlight 580EX : Canon EF 28-200 F3.5 : Canon 70-200 f2.8L : Canon 24-70mm F2.8L and other Canon Gear

The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE." - Ernst Haas
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    Sata is a bit overkill for me. I will just store photos and files on it. Not work against the drive,
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    my newest is a G-Tech Drive. It is probably the nicest and it is compact, plus FW 800.
    Is it quiet?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • MikeKellyMikeKelly Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2005
    what kind of backup algorithm you are looking for?
    RAID 1, 3, or 5?

What interface you need? USB or FireWire 400, 800?

I know Maxtor is going to launch up "One Touch III" product which provides backup function.
  • MikeKellyMikeKelly Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 13, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I have two EZ Quest drives (my oldest), three maxtor drives (which I like) and my newest is a G-Tech Drive. It is probably the nicest and it is compact, plus FW 800. All of them have served me well so far. One of the EZ Quest drives is on its way out, but it is old.
    G-Tech drives do not support backup function. G-RAID is RAID 0, (AID), it's striping only, no redundency, no protection. G-DRIVE is only single drive with FireWire800 or 400 or USB interface. It's like regular external drive with Oxford chipset. Just better looking.

But "G-RAID Pro" is RAID 3 structure, you can have better protection; however, they have not launched it up yet, no ETA.
    edited December 21, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Is it quiet?

It is pretty quiet. I really only here it when it is accessing info.
    edited December 21, 2005
    Soon there might be one less HD competitor on the market.
    Seagate Agrees to Buy Maxtor in $1.9B Deal

Seagate Technology, which makes computer hard drives used to store data, said Wednesday it agreed to acquire rival Maxtor Corp. for about $1.9 billion in stock.

The rest of the article can be found here.