Options

Edisto Marina, Edisto Beach, South Carolina

DixieDixie Registered Users Posts: 1,497 Major grins
edited July 9, 2006 in Landscapes
I was going through and sorting photos into a better filing system to be able to find them easier. I came across this shot which I had never processed. It was taken early fall 2003 very early in the morning. The sun was just coming up and the water was ever so still.

This one was taken in JPEG back before I got my RAW legs under me and learned how to properly process them.

Comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Click on the image for EXIF data.

49171677-L.jpg
Dixie
Photographs by Dixie
| Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
...and bunches of Canon lenses - I'm equipment rich and dollar poor!

Comments

• Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    I have a suggestion. Post more. lovely photo Dixie.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    Thanks, 4labs. I'm working on them as I find them.

When I took the photo above and this one, I was on a 5-day live-aboard sailing cruise getting my off-shore bareboat and coastal navigation certification. This was our fourth day just before we set sail to head back toward our home port of Charleston, SC.

We were sailing this 41' Hunter 410. I wish that I could say it was mine, but regretfully, it was only mine for the five days the course lasted.

Again, comment and suggestions are welcome.

Click on the image for EXIF data. The EXIF doesn't show which lens, but I used the EF 17-40L for both shots.

49174977-L.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
    | Canon 1Ds | Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 5D | Canon 50D | Canon 10D | Canon EOS Elan 7 | Mamiya Pro S RB67 |
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2005
    Which do you prefer? The first one is straight out of the camera and the second one was corrected for perpective. I like the lines of the Hunter 410 in the first one, but the mask leaning forward bothers me. The second one shows the mask the way it should be with a rake slightly to the rear.

I also believe that if I had been shooting in RAW I would have been able to salvage more of the detail in deck near the bow.

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Click on the images for EXIF data.

49179897-L.jpg

Corrected for perpective.

49179900-L.jpg
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Gorgeous, Dixie.

Check out what I took and processed tonight. I took a lot today at Shem Creek because this is the winter solstice and I did Shem Creek last year on this day.

And I did shrimp boats last year. This is a bit different, but the same calm water, I went out just before the sun set, so I have variety, but I worked this up first and I think I like it best.

I also went out this morning, to Shem Creek, it was freezing cold! I don't have anything worked up, but I do have some photos I like. However the water wasn't this calm.

Tonight it was glass.

ginger (I am about to post it above yours, kind of. I will try to come back and put the addy here.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2005
    Sweet Vessels. Well done.
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Awesome reflections on the first one! thumb.gif

Erich
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Gorgeous, Dixie.

Check out what I took and processed tonight. I took a lot today at Shem Creek because this is the winter solstice and I did Shem Creek last year on this day.

And I did shrimp boats last year. This is a bit different, but the same calm water, I went out just before the sun set, so I have variety, but I worked this up first and I think I like it best.

I also went out this morning, to Shem Creek, it was freezing cold! I don't have anything worked up, but I do have some photos I like. However the water wasn't this calm.

Tonight it was glass.

ginger (I am about to post it above yours, kind of. I will try to come back and put the addy here.)

Thanks, Ginger. I saw yours of the boats just a few minutes ago and left a comment. I really liked them. I also mentioned that I will be in Summerville for about a week starting Saturday night. Maybe we can shoot together this time around.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    Mikko wrote:
    Sweet Vessels. Well done.

Thanks, Mikko. I appreciate your comments.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    Awesome reflections on the first one! thumb.gif

Erich

Thanks, Erich. I was really surprised by the stillness of the morning. The marina is located in a tidal area, but luckily for me the tide was at dead high getting ready to change and nothing was moving. I usually have to use ND filters to darken the sky and bring out the reflections, but that morning the light was perfect. No filters whatsoever were used for the shot. I don't think that there was more than a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a stop difference between the actual and the reflection.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Ah, more boats - beautiful light. Nice!
  • Options
    erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Dixie wrote:
    Thanks, Erich. I was really surprised by the stillness of the morning. The marina is located in a tidal area, but luckily for me the tide was at dead high getting ready to change and nothing was moving. I usually have to use ND filters to darken the sky and bring out the reflections, but that morning the light was perfect. No filters whatsoever were used for the shot. I don't think that there was more than a 1/4 to a 1/3 of a stop difference between the actual and the reflection.

Awesome! Nice when it all just comes together like that huh? :):
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Ah, more boats - beautiful light. Nice!

Thank you, Phil.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    erich6 wrote:
    Awesome! Nice when it all just comes together like that huh? :):

You're right. We live for those moments. ....and get up very early. :):
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Great shots, Dixie! I prefer the non-corrected version of the last one.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Great shots, Dixie! I prefer the non-corrected version of the last one.

Sometimes it is just hard to decide which to go with. The thing that bothered me the most about the first one was the way the mast leaned in towards the dock. That was the only reason I did the second version.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2006
    Nice shots. The light is wonderful. I really like the first and second ones.

Where did you get your canvas for the shots? That's not Photoshop is it?
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2006
    DavidS wrote:
    Nice shots. The light is wonderful. I really like the first and second ones.

Where did you get your canvas for the shots? That's not Photoshop is it?

Thanks, David. Assuming by canvas that you are talking about the frame and matting - yes, they were done in PS. I've made three sets of the frames and mats. One each for the Canon 10D, 1Ds, and the 5D.
    Dixie
    Photographs by Dixie