Options

Ballhead Question

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited December 22, 2005 in Accessories
before i order a tripod w/ ballhead...... are there different kinds of ballheads? I mean if i want to use it while panning, do all work the same or are some more adept for this function? it seems to me the one i want might not be good for shooting soccer because the design is that you would have to continually "grip" the handle......
i was looking into the bogen 322rc2 grip action ballhead....
it comes with the tripod im looking into ( Bogen / Manfrotto 3021 BPRO ) as a kit.

troy

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    before i order a tripod w/ ballhead...... are there different kinds of ballheads? I mean if i want to use it while panning, do all work the same or are some more adept for this function? it seems to me the one i want might not be good for shooting soccer because the design is that you would have to continually "grip" the handle......
    it comes with the tripod im looking into ( Bogen / Manfrotto 3021 BPRO ) as a kit.

troy

GREAT BALL HEAD......
    I love mine....yes for action you wil either have to grip the handle or loosen so it will move but then do not turn loose of the camera as it will not hold it.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 22, 2005
    I scored a 322rc2 and a NeoTec monopod at a local electronics store. They did not have a clue what they had. I paid a fair price for it. But, they really had no clue what either item really was. They actually told me that the monopod would not work without a head and they did not have heads in stock. I showed them that the 3/8 stud actually was spring loaded to reveal the 1/4 stud. While checking out I looked down into the display and found the 322rc2 behind some stacked boxes in the case. I asked to see the head and they could not figure out what I was refering to. I should have asked for a part time job.

I ordered a Neotec Tripod Monday from B&H and it should be here Tomorrow. I plan on using the head on both the Monopod and the Tripod.

The 322rc2 will not be really really good for panning as yes you do have to grip it to pan. I have mine point off of the right of the camera. The shutter release is also on the right. So that will make it tough to pan and shoot at the same time. That might be the reason I included the release for my camera in the order. I can pan with the right and activate the shutter release with the left :-)
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Troy make sure you look at the manfrotto 222. I love it.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    The 322 is a stronger and more versatile version of the 222 and if you want the actual joy stick feel.... all you need is an allen wrench to remove the base and screw it back on the end of the handle....

they are both good ... if you are you are going to be doing a lot of sports fotoing then a nice fluid pan head might be better for you...no worring about head wanting to tilt and depending on weather your right or left handed would only make a diffence as to where the pan handle is...I always used a video fluid head...handle on the left used to put my handle under my are so I could body pany and hands were free for operating the camera.

Basically it is a matter of getting used to doing something and then it becomes second nature.

My 322RC2 sits atop my Giottos MT9180 PRO.....this replaced my Bogen/Manfrotto.

You might want to look at Giottos T & mono pods...they are about the same weight as bogen but close down a little smaller...made a great difference for me as I backpack my stull alot and not having a pod towering above the pack helped with getting on / off trains busses and such in Europe...Giottos also gets closer to the ground.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    yerbut if you are 7 foot 15" tall then the 222 will give you extra height.
  • Options
    Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    I don't think that a ball head is going to be great for action shots. You'll probably be happier with a gimbal type setup (especially for the larger lenses). The gimbal balances the weight of the lens so it will sit in basically any point up or down with a minimum of tension (all while keeping the lens level). Yes, you will still want to have a ballhead on your tripod for non-sports shots.

The Wimberly Sidekick helps your ballhead do double duty by converting it into a gimbal setup. I don't have one but it's gotten good reviews. You'll have to make sure the ballhead has a panning base and that the tripod itself is level.

I use my RRS panorama equipment to mimic the same kind of action - works well.
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    yerbut if you are 7 foot 15" tall then the 222 will give you extra height.

I am not exactly sure but if the 322 is turned up in joystick I think it may be a tad taller.....and that should give you a little more height for a person 8 foot 3 inches...rolleyes1.gif ....there has been times shooting macros that I just repositioned my attachment base on the 322 to the end of the joy stick so I could just the perfect angle I needed ...that mounting base is designed to move around to different positions...

bogen 3265 / 222 link

http://www.bogenimaging.us/

link to the 322RC2
    transparency.gif
    transparency.gif

http://www.bogenimaging.us/

transparency.giffile0008973.gif

Since the reail prices are so close about $20 difference,...I opted for the lighter in wt, stronger, and more versatile 322RC2........

One could even add a couple of extra mounting plates to be in position when needed and not have to worry about moving them around.

• Options
    RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    windoze wrote:

troy

Troy,
    Something else to keep in mind is the weight of the Camera/Lens you plan on using. Looks like the 322rc will handle up to 11 lbs, which will work for most lenses. But if you ever plan on buying a large lens then you may need a different head.

I have the Arca-Swiss B1 ball head. While it is not intended for panning I have taken birds in flight with it. I recently got the Wimberly sidekick to make the Ballhead into a Gimbel type head and its much better for panning, but the B1 is workable.

I do have the Bogen 3021 Pro and it works very well with the above set up. Very stable even with my 500 mm.

Some good reviews can be found here:
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tripod-Ballhead-and-Accessory-Reviews.aspx
  • Options
    jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    As with everything else, the best thing you can do is try before you buy. Many people like the grip type of ballhead, but you may not. As someone else mentioned, you would have to keep it compressed while panning. I find a traditional ballhead more to my liking, but I have not really used it for panning shots yet. Joe
    Joe Kelly
    New Jersey
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    windoze wrote:

I totally dig that head.
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited December 22, 2005
    Andy wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif Love them gripheads thumb.gif Had the 3265, which I really liked. But after getting some heavy glass I moved up to the 322RC2, which I also really like :D Either head is a joy to use. As mentioned, the 3265 is for less than 5lbs and the 322RC2 will handle 11lbs. I do have to admit when I used it at Yosemite with the 600mm F4, it was right at it's limit :uhoh For that matter so was my 3001BD tripod....lol

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero