Nice to see some new banner pics!

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited December 23, 2005 in Dgrin Forum Support
Good choices; adds a little variety. Thanks.
If not now, when?

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:

By the way...the banner pics don't seem to work in Firefox...works fine in IE.

Anyone else have this problem?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:

Uhm, Rutt - I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I think, your anti-smilie campaign has caused you to miss on the the new banner pics that have been there for probably five months. This is the same batch that's been going for five months....

I do need to add new ones but you've been missing out, and it's becuase you deactivate animated smilies in your browser settings, I bet.
    edited December 18, 2005
    cmason wrote:
    By the way...the banner pics don't seem to work in Firefox...works fine in IE.

Anyone else have this problem?

Working fine in FF 1.07 and 1.5 here...
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Uhm, Rutt - I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I think, your anti-smilie campaign has caused you to miss on the the new banner pics that have been there for probably five months. This is the same batch that's been going for five months....

I do need to add new ones but you've been missing out, and it's becuase you deactivate animated smilies in your browser settings, I bet.

I don't think it has anything to do with animation. I don't exactly deactive animation, BTW, but let them play exactly once each time they are displayed. This is a about:config firefox option.

But I did clear my cache for the first time in many months (in order to get the new version of dgrin working.) That seems more likely.

Anway, I loved seeing Yuri's "Worker's Hands" up there.
    If not now, when?
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I don't think it has anything to do with animation. I don't exactly deactive animation, BTW, but let them play exactly once each time they are displayed. This is a about:config firefox option.

But I did clear my cache for the first time in many months (in order to get the new version of dgrin working.) That seems more likely.

OK...think I have it now..I have "*/banner/*" in my AdBlock plug in settings
    edited December 18, 2005
    rutt wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    Andy wrote:

Not 5 months, actually. Not much more than 2 and a half months. When I was doing the Cecil Stoner project, I redid the header code for the dgrin.smugmug.com account. That was in the middle of October. At that time I just copied the dgrin header pictures into the dgrin.smugmug.com header. And no Yuri "Worker Hands" there. So I'm pretty sure you added that shot not more than a couple of months ago.

Not a big deal, really, but I just happened to figure this out while looking at the Picture of the Year gallery.
    If not now, when?
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2005
    rutt wrote:

Hmmmm.... I had just noticed some 'new' banner shots recently also. Of course I had to clear cache for the new features the other day so that might be it. Wonder if there's something that can be done on the dgrin side to work around that. ne_nau.gif
    edited December 22, 2005
    Phil U. wrote:
    Hmmmm.... I had just noticed some 'new' banner shots recently also. Of course I had to clear cache for the new features the other day so that might be it. Wonder if there's something that can be done on the dgrin side to work around that. ne_nau.gif

We just added 12 new banner shots about 3 days ago...
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    We just added 12 new banner shots about 3 days ago...

I'll agree witht he others, nice to see a new set in the rotation... though one of them appears to have a typo'd attribution... "davey" vs "davev". I see it as http://www.dgrin.com/images/banner/P/12.jpg. On a realted note, could the banner images be linked to the galleries they're taken from? At least the ones that we know where they're from?
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    Ok, I must just be dense.

Cabbey (I spelled it right this time) said that one of my pics is in the header.
    Where is the header?
    I don't see one. I don't know if it's something you can turn on and off,
    I'm lost.

Can you give me any pointers?
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited December 23, 2005
    Ok, I see them now. I had to turn off my firewall.
    Norton products sucks. Every 15 seconds a window comes up warning
    me that my computer is at risk.

I will not buy any symantec products again.

P.S. Thanks for putting one of my shots in the banner.
    dave.

• cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    davev wrote:
    Ok, I see them now. I had to turn off my firewall.
    Does it include an "ad blocker" component? The paths used for dgrin's "header" has the ever suspect /banner/ component in it, which might lead to it getting nuked as an advert.
    Every 15 seconds a window comes up warning me that my computer is at risk.
    That sounds like either you're infected, or in über-paranoid "ask me about everything" mode....
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited December 23, 2005
    cabbey wrote:
    Does it include an "ad blocker" component? The paths used for dgrin's "header" has the ever suspect /banner/ component in it, which might lead to it getting nuked as an advert.

That sounds like either you're infected, or in über-paranoid "ask me about everything" mode....

I've had trouble with "Norton" from day one blocking things it shouldn't,
    and letting the wrong things in. I'm done with it. It's been deleted.

Comcast has a deal with McAfee, so I'm going to try that.
    Right now I'm using the Windows firewall. Does that do me any good?
    dave.

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2005
    davev wrote:
    I've had trouble with "Norton" from day one blocking things it shouldn't,
    and letting the wrong things in. I'm done with it. It's been deleted.

Comcast has a deal with McAfee, so I'm going to try that.
    Right now I'm using the Windows firewall. Does that do me any good?

I use my router as a hardware firewall. I don't use a software one. Never had an issue.

I use antivirus but don't leave it on. I'll scan maybe every two weeks. I never find anything. I found leaving it on too often causes issues.

I use Microsoft's AntiSpyware and Spybot. Both are free and work very well.

I use Firefox's pop blocker and on IE I use google's pop up blocker. Yes, I use both browsers. Both are free.

I don't have issues because I use common sense in dealing with the internet. Treat what you do on line like you're doing it in real life.

Email should be treated like you act with people. You won't open somthing given to you by a complete stranger, nor will you answer personal questions asked of you by a total stranger.

Seeing a deal on line that seems to good to be true, should be treated like looking at a Rollex found at a flea market for $50 and noticing it's actualling a Rollexx.

Use common sense, most people can easily protect themselves by doing this.thumb.gif