Options

Digital Darkroom Assignment #10

cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
edited July 27, 2004 in Finishing School
Your Assignment: Focusing Attention

There are an unlimited number of ways to affect what part of an image grabs the viewer's attention. Techniques can range from very subtle to very dramatic. Changes can be made to reinforce the focal point, or create a different focal point.

Using the photo editing software of your choice, affect the focal point of an image. You may choose to re-inforce an existing focal point, or try to introduce a completely new focal point. You may use any technique you wish, but try to be creative! Be sure to post before and after versions of your work.

Hints
Take a look at Rutt's Making the Subject Stand Out and Distracting Backgrounds threads or Andy's Parking Ticket Man post over at dpreview. There is a lot of good information in these threads that relates closely to this assignment.

Where an object lies in the image has a big impact on how much attention it gets, thus the Crop tool can be very powerful.

Remember that your technique can be subtle or obvious.

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2004
    Hmmm. Using photographic and darkroom techniques to focus attention?

OK, I'm up for something new. But I'll tell you what, grabbing them by the shoulders and shaking them until their head hurts has always worked for me.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    parking ticket man
    good topic, cletus.

there should be some good poop in here
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Your Assignment: Focusing Attention

There are an unlimited number of ways to affect what part of an image grabs the viewer's attention. Techniques can range from very subtle to very dramatic. Changes can be made to reinforce the focal point, or create a different focal point.

Using the photo editing software of your choice, affect the focal point of an image. You may choose to re-inforce an existing focal point, or try to introduce a completely new focal point. You may use any technique you wish, but try to be creative! Be sure to post before and after versions of your work.

Hints

Take a look at Rutt's Making the Subject Stand Out and Distracting Backgrounds threads. There is a lot of good information in these threads that relates closely to this assignment.

Where an object lies in the image has a big impact on how much attention it gets, thus the Crop tool can be very powerful.

Remember that your technique can be subtle or obvious.
    Eric, are there cash prizes??

Do you have examples? Oh, yes, I do remember the cop.

Well, then, the cash??

g hahahahahahha It is too early for news like this!

Noooooooooo, I Never make trouble, trouble make me, remember!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Using Color (or lack thereof)
    Original:
    6402033-M.jpg
    Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer added. Saturation set to -100. Layer mask used to keep adjustment from affecting subject:
    6402034-M.jpg
    Slight levels adjustment applied to subject only:
    6402035-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    Oh no.... It's Almost Willie!
    Original:
    6402036-M.jpg
    Subject isolated using Photoshop CS's ultra-super-way-cool Lens Blur:
    6402037-M.jpg
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2004
    Isolating for effect......
    Cletus, I am sorry. That is one thing I know how to do really well. I just figured out how to use the burn tool today, but I have been playing with isolating things for a long time.

Using Color, blurring, cropping, whatever I have to in order to show pictures of my dogs to people without showing my house, lol. And for other reasons.

5689316-M.jpg

That from this...........

5689313-M.jpg

I have many different ways of doing it, but I am afraid my pc will freeze, so I am just sending this one.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 21, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    5689316-S.jpg
    Outstanding work ginger! Nice use of at least two tools (croping and bluring the background) to get the viewer to focus on your subject. Of course it helps that you had a good picture of a really cute subject to start with :D

Edit: Nice cloning work too!
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2004
    Exposure Adjustment
    Here's the original. Since the ground and the school seem to have a similar tone, they tend to blend together:
    6428130-M.jpg
    Levels Adjustment Layer masked to only affect the school:
    6428131-M.jpg

It may not be much but I felt that it helped to seperate the school from the ground.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2004
    Though I'd give this one a try. I like to use color and the lack thereof to focus attention.

mitch
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Mitchell wrote:
    Though I'd give this one a try. I like to use color and the lack thereof to focus attention.

mitch
    Nice job mitchell.. the color really stands out... I like it :D
  • Options
    edited July 26, 2004
    Dont ask me ... I'm descending into photoshop hell....
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2004
    Powerful image Lynn!! I really like the depth of field on the road.

lynnma wrote:
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

Wow, that's an eyepopper, Lynn!!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Here are a couple of before and after images. In both cases, I darkened the image, then used a mask to make the subject bright again.

Before
    6597170-M.jpg

After
    6597168-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Here's another one. This one's kind of sloppy around the pedestrian.

Before
    6596092-M.jpg

After
    6595835-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Here's another one. This one's kind of sloppy around the pedestrian.

Before

After
    Yea I see it.. great stuff.. The first one with the woman and hair really pops out at ya.:D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Great work Lynn - Do you have a color version of this image too? Care to share it with us?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Great work Lynn - Do you have a color version of this image too? Care to share it with us?
    thanks Path..

it's a total ps fabrication.. this is the original complete with dirt..
    and the sky was seperate
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    thanks Path..

it's a total ps fabrication.. this is the original complete with dirt..
    and the sky was seperate
    sky
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    sky
    makes this...
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Here are a couple of before and after images. In both cases, I darkened the image, then used a mask to make the subject bright again.

Before
    6597170-M.jpg

After
    6597168-M.jpg
    Nicely done waxy. You darkened the image with levels or curves or something and then used an adjustment layer to paint the gentleman back in brighter using a black colored brush on the adjustment layer? Is this technique faster, or more precise, or easier, or more subtle than darkening the background directly by using the BURN tool? Or have you tried used the shadow/highlight tool for this purpose? I posted an altenative to the default settings for the shadow/highlight tool in the hall of fame thread a few days ago. The more you learn about Photoshop, the more ways there are to perform the same image adjustment tasks.

I frequently burn in the edges and corners of my images with the burn tool or using a radial gradient mask and a curves adjustment layer. But I have not tried to correct for contrast with the technique you used here. I may give it a try.

• Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nicely done waxy. You darkened the image with levels or curves or something and then used an adjustment layer to paint the gentleman back in brighter using a black colored brush on the adjustment layer? Is this technique faster, or more precise, or easier, or more subtle than darkening the background directly by using the BURN tool? Or have you tried used the shadow/highlight tool for this purpose? I posted an altenative to the default settings for the shadow/highlight tool in the hall of fame thread a few days ago. Thew more you learn about Photoshop, the more ways there are to perform the same image adjustment tasks.

I frequently burn in the edges and corners of my images with the burn tool or using a radial gradient mask and a curves adjustment layer. But I have not tried to correct for contrast with the technique you used here. I may give it a try.
    Yes I'd like to know how you did that too Sid.clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Pathfinder, Lynn, on the Layers palette I clicked on the half dark/half light circle at the bottom, "Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer." From there I darkened the image - can't remember if I used Levels (I think I used the bottom slider) or brightness.

Then I made sure my color boxes were black and white. Had black on top. Clicked on Paintbrush, and swiped away the darkness from the figure. The cool thing about using the "Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer" is that it's automagically a mask. Just make sure you have the white/black paintboxes up, and brush away.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Pathfinder, Lynn, on the Layers palette I clicked on the half dark/half light circle at the bottom, "Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer." From there I darkened the image - can't remember if I used Levels (I think I used the bottom slider) or brightness.

Then I made sure my color boxes were black and white. Had black on top. Clicked on Paintbrush, and swiped away the darkness from the figure. The cool thing about using the "Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer" is that it's automagically a mask. Just make sure you have the white/black paintboxes up, and brush away.
    very cool... I shall use it.. tanks ever so :D
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Sid - I understood how you did itLaughing.gif eg: "Nicely done waxy. You darkened the image with levels or curves or something and then used an adjustment layer to paint the gentleman back in brighter using a black colored brush on the adjustment layer? Is this technique faster, or more precise, or easier, or more subtle than darkening the background directly by using the BURN tool? Or have you tried used the shadow/highlight tool for this purpose?"

But you did not answer my question about how it compares to the BURN tool or the shadow/adjustment tool. I know that using an adjustment layer you can use black or white to reverse or correct your adjustment layer changes. So maybe your technique allows greater precision? Just trying to learn a new trick here is all. Thanks in advance lickout.gif

• Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    Sorry mate, you're right, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

I don't really like using the burn tool. I have a hard time making subtle changes with it - when I use it, the effect is crude and obvious. I see swipe marks, uneveness, lots of strokes, lots of effort. I used the burn tool on the CNN image, on a duplicate layer, and I wasn't thrilled with my results. I haven't tried Lynn's airbrush technique, though.

And I've never tried using the shadows/highlight tool to darken large portions of an image.

I like the way I did it because it was so simple to darken everything by moving one slider, then quickly wipe off the darkness from the hair guy. Even his edges were simple. It seemed to involve few brush strokes/steps.

Perhaps the burn tool or the shadow tool would have produced a more sophisticated and nuanced dark area? Nuance wasn't really a concern in this particular shot.

Did I get any closer to the mark? naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sorry mate, you're right, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

I don't really like using the burn tool. I have a hard time making subtle changes with it - when I use it, the effect is crude and obvious. I see swipe marks, uneveness, lots of strokes, lots of effort. I used the burn tool on the CNN image, on a duplicate layer, and I wasn't thrilled with my results. I haven't tried Lynn's airbrush technique, though.

And I've never tried using the shadows/highlight tool to darken large portions of an image.

I like the way I did it because it was so simple to darken everything by moving one slider, then quickly wipe off the darkness from the hair guy. Even his edges were simple. It seemed to involve few brush strokes/steps.

Perhaps the burn tool or the shadow tool would have produced a more sophisticated and nuanced dark area? Nuance wasn't really a concern in this particular shot.

Did I get any closer to the mark? naughty.gif
    Thanks for your answer - I suspect that for evenly darkening all except a subject area your adjustment mask is easier and quicker and I anticipate using it for this purpose in the near future.

I like the BURN tool also - but you have to dial back the opacity to only about 7-12% Much higher than that and it becomes a crude tool like you said. But at the lighter levels it can be used to paint in density nicely as needed in various areas. The same opacity settings are necessary for the dodging tool and the sponge also.

Different strokes and we all keep learning a little along the way.lickout.gif