Options

Panorama with 20D

gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
edited December 26, 2005 in Technique
Just been asked to do a panorama today...ive never done it with the 20D so dont have a lot of time before im out the door today (90mins) Im not interested in the 10-22 for wide shots like this but want to stitch maybe 2 or 3 x 17mm shots.

Just do as normal guys & overlap each shot a tad ?

I will sort the processing out later.

Gus

Comments

• Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Just been asked to do a panorama today...ive never done it with the 20D so dont have a lot of time before im out the door today (90mins) Im not interested in the 10-22 for wide shots like this but want to stitch maybe 2 or 3 x 17mm shots.

Gus

Photoshops action Photostitch.

in CS2 you go to File>Automate>Photomerge. and it'll walk ya through the resthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited December 24, 2005
    Tks mate but i will sort that out later ...im more talking about exposure.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    Shoot raw, keep the exposure the same for each shot - do it quickly as the light can change on you faster than a Dingo eats your baby.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    I haven't done it yet but I've been told to manual focus for landscapes and exposure lock so the sky looks the same in every shot. Yoou don't want the camera metering differently for each one.

Also overlap more than you would think, like 1/3 frame. Gives you some leeway, and automated stitchers like lots to compare.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2005
    Tks guys...all over it like a rash on your bum !
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2005
    It's been a while since I made any panoramas, but I used to be very into it and got some good results using panavue. This is a pretty nice pice of software, it makes the process very easy, it can handle huge panoramas, and best of all it's a one person company where the owner, is also tech support. Only problem, is no mac version.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

Gus

Overlap 1/6th of your frame or so. Then download autostitch and let it do it's automagic studliness.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    Photoshops action Photostitch.

in CS2 you go to File>Automate>Photomerge. and it'll walk ya through the resthumb.gif

The photoshop autostitch is teh sux0r0s d00d...

Autostitch is the way to go.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I haven't done it yet but I've been told to manual focus for landscapes and exposure lock so the sky looks the same in every shot. Yoou don't want the camera metering differently for each one.

Also overlap more than you would think, like 1/3 frame. Gives you some leeway, and automated stitchers like lots to compare.

*cough* manual *cough* thumb.gif

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,190 moderator
    edited December 26, 2005
    After taking a few test shots and writing down the exposures, make sure you shoot manual exposure. This for reasons of avoiding exposure variations and seams.

Also, establish a manual white balance for each of the shots - don't let the camera decide for you.

If you don't want to bother de-barrelizing the pics before stitching, shoot at or near 50mm (or the equivalent). For wider than that, run each shot through PTLens or some other correction prior to stitching.

RAW is also a good idea, but make sure that every single frame is processed exactly the same.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky