Options

Save the settings for a gallery settings template

kajhkajh Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited December 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Hi!

I'm all new to smugmug and I'm just playing around with all the new toys I find here :)

I have created a few galleries and a template for the settings for the galleries to make it easy to reuse the settings.

To me it isn't clear which of the different options at the gallery settings page that is included in the template. I think it is just the radiobutton part, but this is not easy to see.

In one of the dropdown menues in the "Customize Gallery" box at the top of this page one of the options says: "save setting bellow as...". _Which_ of the settings, ref. what I write above :)

To me it wasn't clear if the template is just used to copy the settings to a gallery and then if you later modify the template the settings for the gallery is not updated or if the template is bound to the galleries it is applied on in the sense that a change in the template would update the settings for all the galleries it is applied on.

It looks to me that is not dynamic and is just copied, but it would be nice if there was I was able to select if I wanted to bind a settings template to a gallery or if I just want to copy the setting from a template to a gallery.

Just one more thing.... (as our hero says... :)

I think I want to use the same passwords for most of my galleries since I use smugmug to share photos with family and friends. Today I have to apply the password to the settings for each of the galleries. The password might be part of the settings template.

Just an idea! :)

These comments are only posted to make smugmug an even better place to be! :)

-Kaj :)

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    kajh wrote:
    Hi!

I'm all new to smugmug and I'm just playing around with all the new toys I find here :)

I have created a few galleries and a template for the settings for the galleries to make it easy to reuse the settings.

To me it isn't clear which of the different options at the gallery settings page that is included in the template. I think it is just the radiobutton part, but this is not easy to see.

In one of the dropdown menues in the "Customize Gallery" box at the top of this page one of the options says: "save setting bellow as...". _Which_ of the settings, ref. what I write above :)

To me it wasn't clear if the template is just used to copy the settings to a gallery and then if you later modify the template the settings for the gallery is not updated or if the template is bound to the galleries it is applied on in the sense that a change in the template would update the settings for all the galleries it is applied on.

It looks to me that is not dynamic and is just copied, but it would be nice if there was I was able to select if I wanted to bind a settings template to a gallery or if I just want to copy the setting from a template to a gallery.

Just one more thing.... (as our hero says... :)

I think I want to use the same passwords for most of my galleries since I use smugmug to share photos with family and friends. Today I have to apply the password to the settings for each of the galleries. The password might be part of the settings template.

Just an idea! :)

These comments are only posted to make smugmug an even better place to be! :)

Everything with the radio buttons will be saved when you do "save below settings as..."

This includes a password, if you have one in the password field when you save the template.

You can apply the template settings at the time of creating a new gallery, or you can apply them to an exisiting gallery.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
  • Options
    kajhkajh Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Everything with the radio buttons will be saved when you do "save below settings as..."

This includes a password, if you have one in the password field when you save the template.

You can apply the template settings at the time of creating a new gallery, or you can apply them to an exisiting gallery.

Hi!

Thanks for answering!

I was wrong about the password not being part of the template. It is! Sorry!

My point was that it is a bit unclear which of the settings is part of the template and which is not. Atleast I think so. Maybe I'm the only one... if so, this is not an issue! :)

My other point was about what happends when you change a template. Will galleries that have a settings template applied to them get the changes made to the template? The answer is no from what I can se. Well... that is ok, maybe it would be even more ok if there was a way of having dynamic templates that made the settings for the galleries that had this template applied change when the template was changed [1].

Again... Maybe I'm the only one thinking this would be nice to have... if so, this is not an issue :)

[1] Ref. templates in f.x. Dreamweaver. If you change a template there you can apply the changes to all the pages using the template.

• Options
    shobsonshobson Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    I totally missed this function and have been configuring each gallery individually! So now I have a question... after you have created a gallery using a template, or applied a template to an existing gallery, can you modify just one or two settings in it? For instance I would like to use the smugmug gallery style on most galleries, and the journal on one or two. If it's not possible to do, I'll just make two different templates with only that difference.

Also, I really do appreciate the helpfulness found on this board.

Thanks,
    Stephanie