Options

replace photo not working

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited December 27, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Not sure why but I can't get replace photo to work. IE6 WinXP. I used the IE uploader, uploaded the photo, arranged it to where I wanted it, and deleted the old one and that all worked fine.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2005
    Not sure why but I can't get replace photo to work. IE6 WinXP. I used the IE uploader, uploaded the photo, arranged it to where I wanted it, and deleted the old one and that all worked fine.

Occasionally, actually very rarely, there are certain photos that are in a 'security lockdown' where no changes are permitted.

SmugMug stores every photo on two different redundant disk arrays. If one of those disk arrays goes into degraded mode (say, a disk fails and we need to rebuild the array), we go into 'lockdown' on any photos which have a copy on that array as a security precaution.

Once the array is back up and we've verified that we do, indeed, still have two pristine photos on separate arrays of every photo stored on that enclosure, the photos are again available for editing (or in this case, replacing).

This is may be the reason. The way to be sure, is if you can upload the replacement as a new photo, and it loads up fine - then you'll know for sure.

I hope this helps.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 26, 2005
    hmmm.

i run into problems with the replace functionality quite a bit. When creating a theme, i'll upload a graphic and then maybe replace it 20 times. Sometimes it'll replace fine, but other times I'll click the replace button and get a blank page (in firefox, not sure about IE as i dont use it). Sometimes if i wait 10 seconds or so and try again it goes through, other times i'll have to wait longer or more often than not i just run out of patience and upload a new one.

Andy, i'm skeptical that this is due to disks going bad just because of the frequency of the problem and erratic tendencies. I can replace an image fine, then a minute later not be able to replace it, finally it goes after about 5 tries, next time it replaces on the first try, then it'll take another five tries. wash, rince, repeat.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 27, 2005
    bigwebguy wrote:
    hmmm.

i run into problems with the replace functionality quite a bit. When creating a theme, i'll upload a graphic and then maybe replace it 20 times. Sometimes it'll replace fine, but other times I'll click the replace button and get a blank page (in firefox, not sure about IE as i dont use it). Sometimes if i wait 10 seconds or so and try again it goes through, other times i'll have to wait longer or more often than not i just run out of patience and upload a new one.

Andy, i'm skeptical that this is due to disks going bad just because of the frequency of the problem and erratic tendencies. I can replace an image fine, then a minute later not be able to replace it, finally it goes after about 5 tries, next time it replaces on the first try, then it'll take another five tries. wash, rince, repeat.

ok, i'm having this problem right now. just logged into my site, tried to replace an image in firefox and got the blank page. tried a couple times and same thing.

fired up IE and it worked first time.

tried in firefox again and still got the blank page.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    bigwebguy wrote:
    ok, i'm having this problem right now. just logged into my site, tried to replace an image in firefox and got the blank page. tried a couple times and same thing.

fired up IE and it worked first time.

tried in firefox again and still got the blank page.

I just replaced in Firefox and I was instant. I'll make sure that Onethumb sees this though.

Thanks!