Options

need advice and help

Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
edited December 27, 2005 in Technique
Refering to my White tail pic (see below)....I would like to do a portrait crop of the head and antlers and still be able to pull a 16 X 20 or 24 X 36 inch print.
I save all my raw files as tiff at 300 dpi (approx 8 X 10 inches)....will genuine fractals be the tool I need to accomplish what I want to do?? :scratch :scratch :scratch

Many thanks.

70520580_d4ec34a391.jpg?v=0
"Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    sorry I do not haver a clue but will pop this up and see if rutt or andy can give you a answere --oh did you do a search for a thread on printing headscratch.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2005
    Please put the original somewhere where we can see it, so we can judge. Just a link please...
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Please put the original somewhere where we can see it, so we can judge. Just a link please...

Laughing.gif.. that is my original...not been shopped....I converted straight from raw to webready jpg.....my only place for another file to go would be smugmug and as you know i can't put the raw or the large tiff (40= something MB) there........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 27, 2005
    Still needing education
    I seem to have lost the original file......but future shots like the above.....

Still wondering how to pull a portrait of the deers head and be able to make it at least a 16X20.....to many times in the woods we may get one shot but see 3 or 4 in the final print that we would like.......if I still had (lost due to DVD corrution) I would have the above one liiking straight and would have liked to have a head portrait taken fom above for the 3rd pic.....

Thanks for all the help.

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    Hi Art. I'm no computer whizz. But to pull off what you're asking is a tall order (if you want your final image to look good.)

At a minimum, I reckon you'd need a super high resolution initial image - say, from a full size sensor or one of those incredibly expensive digital camera backs.

I believe that making a large print from a tiny crop is not easy.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2005
    I've heard that the best way to increase the resolution of an image (well, faking it, anyway) is to always use 10%. Just keep making it 10% larger each time until you get to where you want to be.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops