Options

EXIF data in resized images

ankitankit Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited December 28, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Resized versions (large, medium, etc.) of the images that I upload seem to lack any EXIF information. Yes, I can still click on the "more details: exif" link under the picture, but the images themselves dont have any exif. Am I missing someting here, or is there a reason behind this?

The reason I would like this is so that images posted in forums etc. (which are generally the large or medium versions) have complete exif information so that people can easily get this information if they want (this is really easy using the FxIF extension on firefox).

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    ankit wrote:
    Resized versions (large, medium, etc.) of the images that I upload seem to lack any EXIF information. Yes, I can still click on the "more details: exif" link under the picture, but the images themselves dont have any exif. Am I missing someting here, or is there a reason behind this?

The reason I would like this is so that images posted in forums etc. (which are generally the large or medium versions) have complete exif information so that people can easily get this information if they want (this is really easy using the FxIF extension on firefox).

Hi -

When we create the -L, -M, and -S resized versions of your photos, we take all the metadata off those files to make them as light weight as possible.

You can include the exif along with your posted pic on vbulletin-type fourms by following these instructions.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
  • Options
    ankitankit Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Hi -

When we create the -L, -M, and -S resized versions of your photos, we take all the metadata off those files to make them as light weight as possible.

You can include the exif along with your posted pic on vbulletin-type fourms by following these instructions.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Okay, I didnt realize exif took lots of space. It would still be nice to have atleast the basic exif data embedded in the -L version. This is the one that gets posted in photo-critique sites most often, and would benifit the most from embedded exif. I think this would be a far more elegant solution than the (imo) somewhat clumsy solution discussed in the thread.

I hope this can be considered as a future feature enhancement :)
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2005
    ankit wrote:
    Okay, I didnt realize exif took lots of space. It would still be nice to have atleast the basic exif data embedded in the -L version. This is the one that gets posted in photo-critique sites most often, and would benifit the most from embedded exif. I think this would be a far more elegant solution than the (imo) somewhat clumsy solution discussed in the thread.

I hope this can be considered as a future feature enhancement :)

Thanks Ankit. You can also just post the link to the exif, as described in that thread :)

All the best,